The MIGRATION...UPDATE ANYONE!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Securon, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

GUI is the same (up to the latest beta) and i like the GUI, nice and simple. FP seem to be less IMO, and i can definetly say it is a bit lighter on system performance. im very pleased with the new version.

2. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I think I can wait for another 2 or 3 weeks. Will the free version have anti-spyware? I really like paying less than 30 dollars for a license, but they need a deal for people with only two computers.

3. firzen771

the free version is supposed to have antispyware.

4. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

Will the webguard be improved? I have trouble with online sites like slacker.com or pandora.com. I have to manually add urls so I can access the music selection.

5. firzen771

I never use those sites and ive never had an issue with the.webguard so i cant really answer ur question

6. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

IMO n im pretty sure am not far off from the truth,that is such a bad idea from them, now more ppl will use the free version instead of the paid one. Look at Avast - one of the most used Av's simply because its free n has all important things included - now lets have a look at their developement ---> slow as fck, no money anyone?

Ppl now pay for Avira because they want the best detection but pretty soon alot of folks wont have to shell out any money to get it.

Developement and progress costs money and lots of it. This is a fact, Avira what r u thinking

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Slow developement and no money? You must have fallen on your head or something... If they don't change yearly numbers every year like some do (Norton 2000-2009 anyone?), that doesn't mean developement is slow.
    avast! has come a long and rich developement just from version 4.0 up to 4.8 with some massive changes just with this minor number change where others would need several yearly number changes. Version 5 coming this summer with even bigger changes and enhancements. No money? I suggested few things to them to basically boost sales and they said they are perfectly happy with their sales.
    So, their free/paid model is working extremelly well if they're happy with it.

And many users use avast! because it's not a crippled piece of crap like AVG and AntiVir are at the moment... It hasn't changed much for AVG, while AntiVir is going in the right direction with version 9. I hope.
    You know, all the free mass of users help you with new samples, false positives, spread good name and report bugs. In fact thats what free users do pretty much all the time. Those who pay for the product usually take all this for granted and want it with the package, because they paid for it.

8. Leo2005

Leo2005 Registered Member

where did you here that?
    it is the same engine as in av8 so don't expect to much changes on that.

well you'll have to see. it has been improved yes.

9. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

No need for the insult, aside from that i didnt bash avast. Thanks for the info.

10. Arup

Arup Guest

The fact that Avast has come up to a its position in current tests done goes to show that even when they offer a full fledged un-crippled AV for free, they get a chance to have the biggest customer base and in that way, the benefit is one of the best feedbacks which is generally not possible when a high priced product is offered, the amount of bug feedback in a big installed base is just too good. You just can't have the installed database. Btw, apart from Avast's corporate clients, many free users have been impressed with its performance and have bought it, probably to support it or just plain impressed.

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Most of Avs generate revenue from corporate services anyway.
    Servers, mail servers and workstations. Home users are really in minority.

12. aniku

aniku Registered Member

whaaat ? but some users here says that it has done a huge improvements at detection rate from the previous av8 to this new version9 ?

can anyone show some screenshot of RC-avira9 or a avira9beta ?

has the GUI changed?

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Not much. Just graphics banner on top.

Major changes involve spy/ad detection for free version, basically completelly new updater system, scan performance improvements.

14. aniku

aniku Registered Member

any screenshot? :)

i thought they was going to use a new engine in version9 o_O
    well they can still improve maybe even that they use same engine ;)

i want it to be released today =) want to test final ver9

15. progress

progress Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2009
  16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I doubt that will change unless they greatly improved compression and optimization of transfer size.

17. firzen771

the heur is greatly improved, i think they added some new thing for it called AHeAD or something thats suppsed to help catch zero day viruses, etc.

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

AHEAD exists in AVIRA 8 already...

19. Leo2005

Leo2005 Registered Member

well the AHeAD heursitk was release in 2006 and was completly rewritten and improved for the release of version 8. Now the engine is updated and improved nearly each week, but there isn't a special version in av9.
    the only thing what has been done on the detection is to add a scan for signed windows applications and a new detection for iframes in homepages.

could be just a bit irritating for you that they changed the heuristik name in the configuration from 32 file heuristik to AHeAD Heuristik

20. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

were there any discounts for beta testers? id love to go back to avira but man the price is steep for me. i get others so much cheaper..

21. progress

progress Guest

What and where? :p

22. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

mostly nortons, kaspersky, mcafee etc... i have freinds that take care of me with the free after rebate boxed editions from a few stores so i basically run nortons free now lol.. but im done with it at least for now. this whole new update they have is aweful. i checked and for 3pc's for 2yrs its like 140$ to rich for me right now

23. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Cant wait til it's ready!

I've used Antivir since version 6 was around,and dont intend on changing anytime soon:thumb:
    Bring on version 9!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.