The Jester's QR-Code Pwns Targets with WebKit Exploit

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Dermot7, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

http://www.infosecisland.com/blogvi...QR-Code-Pwns-Targets-with-WebKit-Exploit.html

2. badkins79

badkins79 Registered Member

Pretty cool, but isn't that technically illegal?

3. Dermot7

Most likely it is, yes.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Illegal, but fun.

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Woah, luckily i don't use QR scanning Hahaha
    Damn everything about technology is dangerous nowadays!! xD

6. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Anyone know to what extend TheJester really is anti-jihadi and against Anonymous also? (Lulzsec/AntiSec is imo a different radical splinter group).
    I'd think that this rather diverse group of people (; Anonymous) who have strong opinions, towards f.i. SOPA/PIPA and (former) dictators in Libya, Egypt and Syria are somewhat different from "Jihadi-I'll-blow-up-babies-also-f**kheads".
    Or are they really all the same to TheJester and his fans?

7. x942

x942 Guest

I was wondering how long before we saw something like this. I've done similar with NFC tags to demonstrate why businesses should disable NFC when not in use. Now time to do the same with QR codes ;)

8. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

This is why I refuse to use a smartphone:rolleyes: At an old job I held several years ago we pulled similar exploits for ‘proof of concept’. My team randomly putting up QR code posters around the office building which would claim to scan and win a free trip only to redirect to my company’s at the time proper use security policy. The hit statistics were aggregated to argue for more employee training.

Until you are able to modify smartphones as you can with computers to properly secure them, I will not touch them with a 10 foot pole.

9. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

You can. Root your android device and start pulling any software you don't like at any level of the OS. You can run custom kernels, patches, system-encryption, and you can even use SELinux now.

10. x942

x942 Guest

:thumb: I do this on all my phones now! One reason I use android over iOS.

11. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

Well that is always a way yes. I suppose I should rephrase my comment to smartphones provided directly from vendors without having to jailbreak.

12. Dermot7

http://www.infosecisland.com/blogview/20699-Th3J35t3r-Dont-Dox-The-Man-Dox-The-Actions.html

"Hack or hoax? Jester brags of QR code smartphone attack against Anonymous" : http://blogs.computerworld.com/1987...f_qr_code_smartphone_attack_against_anonymous

13. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

From HeiseOnline;
    "Security expert Georg Wicherski also has his doubts saying that "exploit cannot work on Android 2.3 as he claims and I doubt it worked reliably anywhere else", pointing out NX protection.
    Furthermore, he notes that the exploit code published by The Jester is a copy of a publicly available, but non-functional, demo.
    Despite this case being a hoax, the increasing reach of QR codes..."
    link

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.