The importance of manual scans?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by raven211, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Really... in todays security out there, is there any benefit from scanning manually? I wish every software operated like Norton's 2009-lineup, but that's sadly not the case. :D I'd rather use software like Hitman Pro when I know that I'm infected.

Too many software that I've stopped using is scanning when I'm completely busy - a big reason I stopped having them on my system. :mad:

2. markcc

markcc Registered Member

I have my a/v scan once a week at 3:00 am. It will never bother me at that time. My thought is a virus could have got around your a/v & current signatures may detect it when you do a scan.

3. raven211

True. Thanks for your answer - I'm simply looking for people's thoughts. :) If I consider for myself, it would be the on-demand tools that people like to use from time to time instead, like in my case Hitman. ;) Any threats that get active are simply detected by your software.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I gave up on scanners a while back as they took time, and never found anything. Machine is much lighter.

Another reason for me now is ultimate defrag. I like it's ability to place files, but scanning changes last access time, and messes that all up.

5. Someone

Someone Registered Member

I don't use on-demand scanners regularly now, only occasionally when I want to try the software (not to check if my computer is clean because I know it is :D ).

6. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I agree with Peter. Some people can weigh their systems down with security programs and not realise they've bought a new system but are on pentium 100 Mhz speeds.

Programs like sandboxie, Returnil, Shadow Defender, or DefenseWall, GesWall etc give great protection and are light.

If something gets through, there are several online scanners available if you don't want to install a program (bitdefender, Eset, a-squared etc). An upload to virustotal etc isn't a small convenience either if you're really worried about a program download.

But from what I can tell, Hitman Pro does look like a good tool. Runs when you want it to, and not only scans all active programs (.exe) but analyses files in other locations, such as program files and system folder (uploads unknown .dll etc).

As Someone pointed out, they come in use when trying/testing software.

7. arran

arran Registered Member

I haven't used any scanners for about 4 years. they are a waste of time.

They are really only for noobs who admit defeat who are expecting to get infected.

8. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I scan mainly for my peace of mind. Plus I have a multi-core system with plenty of RAM so I can scan anytime I'm not intensely using the hard drive. I probably only do 3 full scans a month with 3 different scanners. I do however run MBAM quick scans whenever the urge hits me.

I keep my AV and 2 on-demand scanners mainly for downloads and to check for apps that may have malware. If someone on a forum asks about a proggy then I will download it, scan it with my stuff and submit to VT or Jotti to help out when I can.

9. arran

arran Registered Member

I don't do any p2p file sharing.

I never download any executable files. all I download is movie files from rapidshare or megaupload. they are downloaded in a zipped form. MD Blocks The creation of any executable files popping out during the unzipping process. and all movies files are opened with VLC in defense wall Untrusted mode and also controlled by MD.

If I get sent any suspicious files over msn I would upload it to VT and use MD
    to analyze its behavior.

If I try out any new apps it is done on another Image. Not only for security but to keep my main OS clean and tidy.

10. progress

progress Guest

Prevention is better than cure but some users love their 15 scanners :D

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i admit even if i dont use scaners i love to scan with malwarebytes:argh: it is fast:argh:

12. risl

risl Registered Member

People always bash antiviruses and blacklist security products but the same people still use them to verify if some file is clean or not. Behavior blockers, hipses etc don't give you an opinion unless you start the exe. And when you do that it's you making decisions and not security professionals.

13. Saraceno

Anyone been able to download CureIt these past couple of days? Normally downloads without a problem, but can't seem to get the latest update.

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Saraceno, I just downloaded 838s6e3z.exe (version 5.0.2.6069) from Dr. Web's site but noticed that the servers were slower (average 210 kbps) than usual.

15. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Due to greater confidence in using Sandboxie and Defensewall I have dumped real-time AV protection. I manually scan with these (in the order I use the most)

1. Hitman Pro (1 or 2 times a week), 2. Malwarebytes (scan every now and then), 3. SuperAntiSpyware (Once a month), 4. Avira. (Once a month)

I seem to have lost my patience with scanners that take forever. Hitman Pro is amazingly fast and since I discovered it (via Wilders) it has become my #1.

16. Gizzy

Gizzy Registered Member

I got rid of my real-time and on-demand scanners about a year and a half ago, I did it for the speed boost and I just got tired of scanning all the time and it coming up clean.

I much prefer a combination of virtualization/sandboxing and a HIPS currently for me that's Sandboxie and Online Armor.

I'm not sure about the importance of manual/on-demand scans, if anything I'd prefer real-time scanning since sometimes if it's found with a manual scan then it's already on the compuer and it could be too late.

17. Fly

Fly Registered Member

'is there any benefit from scanning manually?'
    (partial quote above)

I think so. You are referring to on-demand scans ?
    It makes sense to do a full (and in-depth!) on-demand scan by your antivirus (assuming you have one). It's always possible that something got past your AV for whatever reason, and you can get infected if the AV doesn't have the relevant signatures at the moment of infection, but it may have the required signatures when you perform an on-demand scan later.

I scan infrequently, sometimes a bit more often if I think I've been visiting some potentially dangerous websites.

I NEVER use scheduled scans.

'Too many software that I've stopped using is scanning when I'm completely busy - a big reason I stopped having them on my system'
    (partial quote above)
    That's why I never use scheduled scans - I just scan when I won't be using my computer.

18. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

I use a real time virus scanner as part of my security setup. I believe Virus scanners still have their place in security because they can detect if something is actually malicious...providing it's in their database. It's just real-time scanning alone isn't a good idea to keep a PC protected.

I run on-demand checks weekly as I like to check my PC.

19. gery

gery Registered Member

Once the computer is scanned and found malware free there is a little need to rescan it too often. ZA AV AS within the suite by default is set to manually scan once a month which i think is ok. AVG scans every day by default but i do not really use it .. Scheduled scans are often ok but not so necessary .
    o still believe in manual scans but not more then one per week
    Cheers Gery

20. raven211

I would guess Hitman Pro weighs that up then as it does incl. all the tops in one package. :D :p

21. Saraceno

Thanks JRViejo. For some reason, still won't extract the launch file once it downloads. Didn't it used to be just a stand-alone .exe, and not need to be extracted? I'll give it a few days and try again. :)

22. arran

arran Registered Member

AV's don't provide any protection for zero day malware, neither do they provide protection from getting infected in the first place. They are only good for cleaning out malware after the damage is already done. There has even been or still is malware out there which can disable AV on your OS. So because of this I don't consider AV Venders to be "security professionals" as such.

because I only use VT maybe once or twice a year its just not worth having an AV on my PC sitting there wasting hardware resources.

23. waters

waters Registered Member

Does Norton security scan leave anything running like a-squared free,i am looking for a free on demand

24. Someone

Someone Registered Member

No. IMHO Norton Security Scan and Clean is better, even though it uses an older engine, because it can clean (obviously :D).

25. Saraceno

Isn't the Norton product a very stripped down version?

If it is, hopefully it can still detect a problem file to actually attempt to clean it. ;)

If not, my apologies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.