The image dont work in other computer

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BRUNO33, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BRUNO33

BRUNO33 Registered Member

After making an image of an hp computer with windows xp using acronis true image server, when i try to put the image in another computer with diferent hardware, (i run the acronis and do the restore image), at the end when i restart the computer after that, the computer blocks and the image do not work, the computer dont go to windows. Could anyone tell-me what may be the problem?
    Thanks.

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, BRUNO33

The Image did work that is not your problem.

The Problem is what you just said what you are trying to do.

It is the Abstraction Layer the host Computers installation. [the one where you created th Image]

the Abstraction Layer is all your hardware an drivers.

In other words two difference sets of hardware an drivers.

It will not never boot in to window like that.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. BRUNO33

BRUNO33 Registered Member

How can I prepare my Windows XP, NT, 2000 or 2003 system for cloning or migrating the data to different hardware?
    In order to clone your Windows system or migrate it to different hardware, you should first prepare Windows using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (sysprep). According to Microsoft Knowledge Base Article — 298491: "One problem from duplicating an installation of Windows 2000 is that each cloned computer has the same security identifier (SID) and computer name. This may prevent the cloned computers from functioning correctly in a workgroup or a domain. To work around this problem, administrators use the System Preparation Tool (Sysprep.exe) to remove configuration settings that are unique to the computer such as the computer name and SID. The resulting image can then be safely reused for installation on other computers." This issue also exists in Windows NT 4.0 and Windows XP, and thus computers running those operating systems must be prepared as well.

To download Microsoft System Preparation tool, click on your operating system: Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP. Microsoft System Preparation tool for Windows Server 2003 is available in the Deploy.cab archive that resides in the \Support\Tools\ folder of Windows Server 2003 installation CD.

In brief, here is how you prepare your disk drive to create a master clone image or to migrate data:

Create Acronis True Image Server 7.0 bootable rescue media with Rescue Media Builder available in the Tools menu of Acronis True Image Server 7.0.

Run sysprep.exe. Microsoft give you the option to specify the following keys:

-nosidgen — If you plan to erase all data from the original hard disk and/or do not plan to use both original and new hard disks in different computers simultaneously, use this option.
    -mini — if you plan to migrate your operating system to a computer with different hardware.
    Prepare to reboot the computer. First, put the Acronis True Image Server 7.0 bootable rescue media in the CD drive and boot the system. Now run the program and create an image of the prepared hard disk.
    Install the new hard drive into your computer or take the image you just made to your new computer.
    Boot from Acronis True Image Server 7.0 rescue media again and restore the image to the new hard drive or computer.
    Reboot the computer.
    We recommend you to read Microsoft articles regarding using sysprep on your operating system, available at the following links: Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003.

I try to use the sysprep command, but it didint also, isnt there a way to go around the hardware.
    According to your words the image only works in the same computer, is that right.

4. TheQuest

Hi, BRUNO33

Long post must have taken a long time to type. [Heeeeeeeeee :D]

That what the FAQ and Mircosoft says no need to copy post it. :D
    Wrong, I did not say that, I have posted about it here before.

Have you done a serch of this forum for a fix. [NO]

It is here some where try here:- #5

Please come back and say how you got on.

Take Care,

5. f123

f123 Guest

Restoring a cloned image of WXP on another PC can be interpreted by the OS as "stealing" the software. WXP and the HP activation protection scheme will kick in, thus preventing you from booting to Windows. You chance of success will increase if you try a retail version of W98SE, or W2K Pro.

6. TheQuest

Hi, f123

Yes I agree with you f123 it could be:- #15

But Microsoft do supply the tools to migrate from one Computer to another.

Take Care,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.