The forum has moved, and you are here!

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by LowWaterMark, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

Glad to be here.

I was getting worried.

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I cautiously think that my DNS was updated with no help from me, and I am using the new server for good now. Thanks for responding to my inquiries. :p

3. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I don't know if that is good idea. A lot of members are using some kind of ad-blockers which will probably lower expected income.

hqsec

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Wilder's loading faster after the switch over.

5. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Congratulations on the move, and thank you for your efforts to keep the forum humming along.

If you are taking this opportunity to make improvements, it would be nice if there were an option to hide one's online/logged-in status.

I've sometimes wondered how forum expenses are paid for. I never bothered to ask though. Perhaps now is a good time. How have things worked in the past? Can you share your thinking regarding the future?

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Mostly, those messages were done tongue-in-cheek. The moderators would tell you I was having quite the good time with funny News items. I was a very long time at the computer over the past few days, simply because there's a huge amount involved in moving to a new server environment. I've still got minor items left on my check list.

This server is the first time I went with a totally unmanaged package. I was simply allocated a server with the version of Linux I picked out, and nothing on it but the bare OS, network turned on and sshd running. I even had to install wget to begin the rest of the installation. Granted, that was a mere "yum install wget," but, it's amazing how many packages you need to run a forum like this. I'm still finding things that aren't installed when I go to execute a command I hadn't used yet since the move. And, the amount of configuration options within many of those packages is staggering, to get things setup right.

Anyway, to answer the serious side of your question. The forum is funded exactly the way it has always been. Out of pocket, by the forum owners. There are no Ads, affiliate program links, product sales, premium memberships, sponsors or donations. The "official" forum vendors don't pay to have their forums hosted here either. And, since this has never been a small forum, it's been a significant amount of money to operate over these past 12 years. But, prices have come down, especially these last couple years. This move to unmanaged hosting lowered the cost a fair amount, too. So, that helps some.

Anyway, since the purpose of the News ticker was just to let people know which of the two forums they were at after the move started, and it appears everyone is here now, I've just turn it off.

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

This fact does not seem to get the applause that it deserves.
    I have often wanted to at least donate, but you guys won't accept them.
    All I can say is a great big, ongoing Thank You.

8. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I'm not having any joy getting Firefox to accept the new certificate. Adding an exception, the "permanent" option is greyed out. Even after deleting the old Wilders certificate, the "permanent" option is greyed out in adding an exception. I've tried exporting a temporary certificate that's working, restarting Firefox, and importing the certificate. It shows as permanent, but Firefox still prompts that the certificate is untrusted.

How do I mark it trusted?

I'm using Firefox 27.0.1 on Ubuntu 12.042 x64.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

10. mirimir

Thanks.

I deleted cert8.db and after starting Firefox, the "Permanently store this exception" option for "Confirm Security Exception" was still greyed out :(

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Wonder if it would work if you used the Firefox safe mode or created a new profile?

12. mirimir

I've been having the same problem lately in many VMs, with Firefox and Iceweasel, getting them to accept permanent exceptions for the self-signed certificates that pfSense uses for its WebGUI. So it's not just this Firefox instance, with Wilders, that's messed up.

I suspect a Firefox bug, or maybe a new security feature.

I wonder if there's a switch in about:config.

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I wonder if trying Cyberfox would fix it.

15. mirimir

That's overkill, I think ;)

It's not that I don't want warnings about invalid certificates. It's just that I want to create permanent exceptions. Firefox used to do that. Now, at least for me, it's not. Only temporary seems possible.

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Since it not just Wilders, I would look elsewhere for the problem.

17. mirimir

OK, I know why now. It was "Always use private browsing mode."

After unchecking that, and waiting for Firefox to restart, I can permanently save exceptions.

And they remain after rechecking "Always use private browsing mode."

18. TheWindBringeth

I suspected that might be the case. Some moments of fun are essential during intense periods of work. I liked the New item way of keeping users informed.

Oh, well extra kudos then.

Who are those forum owners we should thank? Or would a general thank you be preferred?

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I've been enjoying this forum for 9 years. It starts and ends my day. The things I've learned and the inside tips I've received are limitless. I think that donations are really in order.:thumb:

20. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

For whatever reason, LWM won't hear of it, though perhaps his mind has changed.
    I have asked him that very question more than once, and he has always turned them down.
    Perhaps we could set it up wherein members who wished to donate could mail their checks to me! ;)

21. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Should they make their checks out to cash? :D

22. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

23. mirimir

I would donate if Wilders accepted Bitcoins :)

Accepting Bitcoin donations would be easy. All it takes is a Bitcoin wallet. Converting to fiat currency would require an exchange account, however. But there are already many ways to spend Bitcoins for goods and services.

24. TheWindBringeth

So just two guys have been carrying the hosting expenses all these years? I don't know how much hosting has actually cost for this site, whether the owners have a way to deduct the related expenses, etc. However, my guess is that would equate to non-trivial amounts out of pocket. What a nice gift to the world, thank you.

Given the various crowd funding sites that have cropped up over the years, you'd think there might be at least one that supports various forms of contributions including "anonymous" donations. I wonder how complex the income/tax/reporting implications are for donation recipients, though.

25. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Checks made out to an individual and sent to a P.O. Box could beat the tax problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.