The ErikAlbert Approach - A test

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Peter2150, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

As concerns PC Security, that doesn't really mean much to me when running with SandboxIE. As those results already point out, SandboxIE confines the virus so it can't reach the data partition. No user should ever just depend anyway on a single app as a protect-all, hence the layered approach.

I would be curious Peter2150 if you could re-run that test again but instead of PC Security use a partition HD Manager to set the data partition flag to "hide" and see if the results are the same again or not. If different and the virus fails to penetrate, then i got an equal concern as Erik about PC Security, and will result to manually setting the flags. It also looks like if setting the data partition flag to "hide" PASSES then PC Security suffers from a critical limitation i need to take seriously myself.

2. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

@Pete

What about exploits for SandBoxie. You know my way is better in the end. :)

Setting the physical flag that the hard drives been removed is a winner. They can't see whats there to begin with but they can with any software installed.

You relying on Sandboxie protecting the browser port but not any other port that can get you.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

When u make a deny create rule in GesWall, that means nothing will be created in target location, so no question of cleaning.

Otherwise latest beta has ability to scan, browse and delete the isolated files but it,s a bit different from SBIE as there is no file virtualization( contrary to SBIE). DW also has a rollback function but I don,t have much experience with that. GW future is questionable at the moment until we see any activity from them.

4. markymoo

I already did in post69, i think you missed it as we posted at same time perhaps. Here again.

revoSleep v0.2.4_BETA http://revosleep.realspooky.de/

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

YOu have a trial of something. Although I have to say at first glance that utility Markmoo posted is very cool indeed.

6. Peter2150

I sure did. Also I edited your post with the link, so if any other mods saw it they would know I've tested and confirmed it's okay.

Pete

7. Peter2150

In theory, I agree totally. Going to put that little guy to the test tomorrow. It's late here, and I am getting brain dead.

I say in theory, as I can almost guess what has been done will pass with flying colors. Also I like the concept, as I like to lock down my host when playing with nasty stuff in the VM machine. The reason for my overal preference toward sandboxie approach is it's transparent. Kind of like my beef with Anti Executable. I'd go to download, and then remember oops, have to turn AE off. Then download and remember to turn back on. It would be the same with this little utility. Have to turn it on to surf, and then remember to turn it off. With Sanboxie, I do nothing. When I fire up my browser it's automatically in the sandbox, and anything that comes in from it is constrained and can't reach the other drive. I am giving up a small percentage of safety for convenience.

However as I type, I am ideas of it's usefulness keep cropping up.

Thanks for the heads up.

Pete

PS. As an example. For browsing, and all the crap that can come that way Sandboxie is the way. However if I want to test a potentially dodgy install, I update my FDISR archive on my d: drive, and then with your little jewel make the d: drive gone. Then if it's really bad restore an image which although old would again see the d: drive, and then use the archive for recovery. Yep, I see this as a keeper.

8. Peter2150

my appeal with sandboxie, is I can let the browsers to active X, whatever, else if I want, and the stuff is isolated, and easily deleted.

9. markymoo

...and a cool find too. i'm sure it get better, as its sounds like a keen new project for the author and still in beta. i suggest options for hiding it from the systray and a password and a timer. it amazing no little application like that hasn't been around till now.

SandBoxie is superb i totally agree. I using it already lol. An essential.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks for that confirmation. I thought as much but didn't have the time to throw some malware at this, but makes perfect sense of course, and you hit it right on the nose, a software IS NOT the same as setting the drive flag. So then questions, this little app you shared, does it do the partition flag setting itself? I mean, it might be a software too, but once any partition's flag is been set to "hide"/"inactive" or whatever, the drive is set isolated from the system/apps etc. if i get this right.

Thanks markymoo

11. Peter2150

One thing I want to do, and it make take a day or two. I've put sandboxie thru the wringer as have others. It has held up. But before I'd say to Erik, here use this, I want to put this utility thru the wringer

IE rebooting with the drive hidden, and various other things of that nature. Want to see if I can break it. Naturally I will do this in the VM machine first. Once it passes the torture test, then it may be perfect for Erik, with or without Sandboxie.

This certainly has been an interesting adventure.

Pete

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Many thanks Peter for the detailed instructions. It all worked as you wrote.
    For now, it's my understanding that any sandboxed application has NO ACCESS to my data partition [D:].
    I sandboxed MS Word and I couldn't get to my documents, so that worked also.

On the other hand any unsandboxed application has access to my data partition.
    I hope I understood this right. :D

PS: I won't discuss Sandboxie any further in this forum. If I have questions, I will ask them in the approperiate forum. This was only to protect my data partition as quick as possible.

13. markymoo

Yes it will turn off a partition also. I only just discovered it so i can't vouch for its safety yet. It works by sending the drive to permanent sleep. It looks like some custom code using the power function to force it to permanent sleep and some other things, so who would guess you sent your drive to full sleep? lol so thats a secure aspect right there. i don't see how you can send a partition to sleep without the hard drive so something else too. A drive has only so many power down/up cycles built into it, apparently laptop drives are capable around 600,000 spin downs/ups compared to 40,000 of a desktop drive - if a disk spins up/down every 10 minutes, it will break within one year it estimated. As long as you don't turn your drive on and off alot each day it should last a decent amount of years anyway. This is why it better to leave your pc turned on as less wear and tear on the hard drives as discussed recently.

No a drive that has the hidden flag set is still there connected to the pc, it can be made unhidden by the same software that hid it or another and the drive isn't locked like the c drive so it can be unhidden while in windows. There's 2 ways to hide a drive either by setting the disk signature in the MBR to hidden, this is what partition software do or the milder hide it from explorer by setting it in the registry. Having said all that setting it to hidden is still a really good secure thing and will be enough in real situations. In my book if a hard drive last 2 years thats enough especially as they alot cheaper to buy for alot storage now. In 2 years we have cheaper solid state drives. :)

@ErikAlbert
    Glad you found a solution :thumb:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  14. Ragzarok

Ragzarok Registered Member

Hello,
    Thanks for the sample Peter.
    Having played with it for an hour, I can report that, at least for this particular virus, the folder protection program I am using called "Folder Security Personal v 1.4" from y0ys.com did its job.
    As with the program "pc security", FSP also allows various types of protection for non-system partitions. And even though I've not tested other programs of this type, this one has been able to prevent access to data by 2 different trojans: Poison Ivy, and Bifrost. As well, to its credit, McAfee VirusScan Enterprise v8.5 also prevented execution of this virus with the on-access scan module.

15. Peter2150

Absolutely almost all av's should detect this. In all honesty I didn't test this program against the virus. I stopped when I was able to format the drive from the command line. PC Security did stop that. WHen you tested did you unhide all the system stuff and check to see if the the stuff the virus dropped was there

16. Peter2150

Hi Erik

Yes you are correct. An unsandbox application has access to your drive, but anything in the sandbox does not. This is a big plus to me, as I can work on my computer normally, but when online with my browser, anything I specifiy is protected. On a side note. I don't sandbox my email clients, but if I get an email, I am suspicuous of, but want to check out, I leave it in my client, and go on line to the webmail feature of the ISP, and check out the email that way. By doing this I am protected. This works well for me as I get few emails I need to worry about. Otherwise I'd make the effort to put it in the sandbox.

Note also there is a terrific amount of info and help in the sandboxie forum.

Pete

17. Peter2150

Finally, to round out this little project, I've contacted Ilya, and he will make another trial available to me to test Defense Wall. That will come later.

@markymoo. Thanks for the update on the utility that hides the drive. Sounds like it essentially turns off the drive by putting it to sleep. I don't know if that bothers me or not for real hardware. Doesn't matter in the VM machine.

18. Long View

Long View Registered Member

what about the warning not to put the drive to sleep "too often".
    The idea is interesting BUT during the working day I find myself writing a letter to be stored on D: ( better have D: turned on). Then on a whim I decide to check on Wilders ( better turn D: off) Not sure I'm too keen on the idea of on off on off
    all day long. I can see situations where this would work well but not for me.

@Peter - do you use Sandoxie with Firefox or just IE ?

19. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Peter, et al, so Sandboxie plays nicely with FirstDefense? How about using Sandboxie inside of a Frozen Snapshot, double protection? After a days work turn off Sandboxie which would "dissolve" everything and then the next morning upon reboot, the FirstDefense Freeze would also do its thing. :cool:

Acadia

20. Peter2150

Opera and IE7 as browsers.

21. Peter2150

First Defense just treats the sandbox as more stuff on the disk. They work fine together. I do it manually, although you can do it automatically, and just empty the sandbox when I close the browsers.

The two apps play perfectly together for me. Looking forward to hearing back from Erik.

22. Peter2150

Followup on this rev0sleep. Not sure I really would consider it a solution. I turned it on, hid my second drive, and rebooted. When I got back, my second drive was wide awake and accessible. Combining that with the wear factor on a real drive, I am not sure this little fellow is yet ready for prime time. Worth watching though.

23. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Peter,
    I can't tell much since I have Sandboxie less than one day and I hardly know this software.

The installation of Sandboxie was normal and I configured it according Peter's instructions to protect my data partition, which was the most urgent thing to do.

After that I turned AE back ON to add Sandboxie to the whitelist. AE approved it after a few seconds, the usual time for a new software, nothing special.

Then I frooze the system, which is a copy/update from snapshot to archive (freeze storage.arx).
    No errors, normal speed. I rebooted between my off-line and on-line snapshot and vice versa. This means that the automatic copy/update from archive to snapshot also works. Even my reboot is 12 seconds faster, I also removed 2 softwares : PC Security and DefenseWall and that is probably the reason.

Until now, there is no indication whatsoever, that my system partition isn't working properly. But again using Sandboxie less than one day doesn't prove anything.

The GUI of Sandboxie has been approved ALOT and it has now the level of DefenseWall.
    After protecting my data partition "D:\" in an userfriendly way, I checked
    the file "Sandboxie.ini" with notepad and this line was added : ClosedFilePath=D:\
    As far as I remember, I had to type this line manually in the past.

For those who wonder why I use a frozen snapshot, the reasons are very simple.
    1. I don't trust any of my security applications : Windows Firewall, Anti-Executable and Sandboxie.
    If malware succeeds in bypassing these 3 security softwares, my system partition is INFECTED and then my frozen snapshot will remove it during reboot : no change = no change.
    If I don't believe in this, it means that I don't trust the copy/update + archives and then I don't see any reason to use FDISR anymore.

2. A frozen snapshot and its clean archive keep my system partition constantly CLEAN and I'm not talking about malware only, I'm talking about superfluous objects installed by softwares, while they are doing their job.
    To keep it short, a clean archive is a supercleaner, that does a much better job than all registry cleaners and other cleaning tools together.
    A clean archive does it safely, more complete, always the same way and without human mistakes.
    I don't run all these cleaning tools anymore, just one daily copy/update from archive to snapshot (off-line snapshot) or a simple reboot (on-line snapshot).
    In other words, I save alot of time : no scanners and no cleaning tools.

Regarding malware on my system partition, I also have my theories.
    The biggest source of infections is Firefox. Not my spam-emails = no opening, no reading, immediate removal.
    Whatever happens in Firefox, all bad things are isolated in a sandbox by Sandboxie and my data partition is locked.
    I even isolate malware a second time, because my system partition is empty and contains only Windows + Applications.
    What is a malware going to do in a double isolation ?
    Change my system partition ? I fix that with a simple reboot in less than 2 minuts.
    Damage my system partition ? I fix that with a simple reboot or an image in less than 10 minuts.
    Steal personal data ? There is nothing to steal.
    I don't even know, if I'm infected or not. The only way I can see this are visual effects.
    Why would I care, a simple reboot and everything is gone and I like it that way.
    An user who runs an on demand scanner weekly and finds a malware, that is SCARING.

Trusting PC Security was indeed a big mistake. Thank you. :)

PS: now I'm going to read and translate Markymoo's numerous posts. ;)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  24. Peter2150

Hi Erik

Yeah, gui is a 1000% improvement. If you haven't bought it, just make sure you start your browser sandboxed. You should see the # signs in the browser windows. Once you register it, (you can use it on any and all machines, so snapshots won't be an issue) you can force any browsers you use and they will automatically sandbox.

Also keep in mind if you download something, and are sure of it, you can recover it from the sandbox(or open it in the sandbox to check it) and then manually copy it to your other drive.

On the other hand you can surf and then reboot, and it's cleaned by FDISR.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Pete

25. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

More interesting stuff, thanks fellows. So getting back to my question, using Sandboxie INSIDE of a frozen Snapshot: Can you guys think of anything that using a setup like this would NOT protect you from, something that could still nail you?

Thanks,
    Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.