The end of AVG Free?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Tinribs, May 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

2. Metallica

Metallica Guest

That´s actually good news.
    Lots of people used it without looking at alternatives, because it is the most popular freeware AV. Now they will have to offer something else in return. :p

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

That's accurate info - personally, I don't consider it a loss.

regards,

paul

4. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Currently AVG 7.0 RC2 is out for testing. Maybe 7.0 version will improve this av. :rolleyes:

Technodrome

5. Tinribs

At least the old 'whats the best free av' discussions will be less heated ;) :D

I also am indifferent to its passing as a free av, hopefully now users will have to put more thought into choosing an av, thats should mean we all will be a bit safer ;)

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I do. :doubt:

7. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Sorry to hear so, bellgamin. Reason for saying so is the appalling bad track record for years in a row on Virus Bulletin tests - for good reasons, meaning: false sense of security when used as the first line in defense.

regards.

paul

8. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

I would like to point out further as Tinribs has started, that I think the biggest concern will now be the people who are running Win 98 and Me on some of the older hardware with slower processor speed and short on RAM , coupled with how some of those older machines actually handle the RAM. For them, AVG was a godsend no matter how poor a record it had for detection. That group felt fairly safe and they got used to the GUI and its method of detection. They were delighted when it found a badboy and because of their surfing habits did not feel the need to make a change or pay for any protection.

They also fit the category that they will not be buying new hardware and/or mving up to Win 2000 or Win XP.

That too would be a big transition for them..hitting the pocketbook and the task of learning an new OS.

Now with this change many of our friends will have to make a decsion.

I think a service this Wilders forum could provide would be a thread by all you great people who have been using and testing other security product..you know for sure will be a good replacement for that specific group of people.

We all know that it is going to be first very difficult for some to even clean off all of the AVG from their PC..it was never the easiest to uninstall. Second, they surely need a replacement if they do not decide to stay with the paid version..and we do not know what that will be.

So if not in this thread..then another..it would be nice to share your experience on what transition they might want to consider for protection.

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hello Primrose, I have had similar thoughts as I look after some pc's for some older folk that need easy to use sotware.
    I have been trying Avast free & I think it will make an easy to use alterative

http://www.avast.com/products.htm

HTH Pilli

10. SmackDown

SmackDown Guest

AVG, is a great loss for some, Another free alternative needs to appear, AVG was a good program, The best free AV in along time. This program will be hard to replace, Some of them that can afford it, might just buy version 7.

I can't wait for 7 to come out, It should be a good program, if it's low on resource use, then people can use it, and yes then no loss would be felt by anyone.

11. Tinribs

A good point John, I admit I hadn't thought of AVG's possible end of free use to affect people as you mentioned.

A good alternative would need to be light on resources and fairly easy to use, as Pilli sugested Avast could fit the bill, or maybe Antivir http://www.free-av.com/

12. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I do too, although I much prefer Avast! as a free alternative.

AVG was better than nothing, although that sounds like I'm damning it with faint praise.

The problem I run into is

1. Users who don't give a rip about an antivirus and/or don't want to pay for one.

and

2. Users who are too lazy or don't have enough knowledge or wherewithal to use something like F-Prot for DOS.

These kind of users need an AV with resident scan and automated updates, in my opinion.

And as prim and tr have alluded to, resource usage was/is a concern on say, a Celeron or Pentium running ME with 32 or 48 mgs of RAM.

I'm turning my "know-nothings" on to Avast! as a free solution. :)

13. Madsen DK

Madsen DK Registered Member

I read somewhere that there might be a free version of AVG 7, and it was not 100 % for sure that Grisoft would totally drop a free AV.
    Cant remember where, sorry o_O
    If it is a fact, i know it will please you Smackdown ;)
    Regards
    Ole

14. Madsen DK

http://www.hazeleger.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=AVAnn;action=display;num=1052846346

I found it. :D
    Info of a possible free version of AVG in september.
    You can see it some way down the page.

15. SmackDown

SmackDown Guest

Madsen DK,

Thanks for the link, and the positive words, we all need a good AVP.

SmackDown

16. Not to make an enemy, but I don't think any AV product out there should be free...

It isn't fair to us "paying folks.."LOL... :p

Don't Smite me.. I'm just kidding!

17. Madsen DK

18. Tinribs

Isnt the link posted by Madsen the same as the link in the thread opener o_O

19. Madsen DK

Hi Tinribs.
    Ahemmm yes it is.
    What a coincidence.
    I read first about it on DSL, and found out about it there.
    Should have read this topic more careful though :oops: :oops:
    Strange, i wasnt that drunk yesterday :D
    Sorry
    Regards Ole

20. Tinribs

No worries Madsen, it was only meant tongue in cheek, I did mean to put a *wink* at the end! ;)

:)
    Kev

21. Madsen DK

Okay Tinribs.
    I never did worry. :D
    Regards
    Ole

22. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

For what it's worth: http://www.pcqanda.com/dcforum/computer/59304.html

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.