The Cloud: Trojan Horse Internet Takeover

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by CloneRanger, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

The Cloud: Trojan Horse For Internet Takeover

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Well, that's not surprising. They have control over your data after all.

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I never liked Cloud storing services. I will always rely on my trusty HDD's :D

4. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I don't trust the cloud. Give me a hard drive any day over the cloud. :thumb:

5. x942

x942 Guest

I bet the cloud is the new "web 2.0" and will just fade to the back like that did. It's all hype. I mean really. How many people (let alone companies) can move EVERYTHING their? Docs? Sure photos? Easy music? Yeah. But full applications?

Yeah I'd like to see a cloud based version of photoshop, GarageBand, FULL movie editing, and any other process intensive program out there. Now it also has to be at minimum military grade (FIPS 140-2 certified) security/encryption and I need 24/7/365 any where in the world I may travel internet to get those files and some kind of back up cause god know what I'll do if their servers crash or they go out of business randomly with out saying anything. :rolleyes:

Not to mention if everything is cloud how do I get a firewall and AV? Are those cloud based to? Well I want to be in full control of those things and how can it scan my system? ISP isn't getting that kind of access that's for sure. :thumbd:

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Cloud based security is a little different. You're not relying on someone to host your data, you're using their servers to reduce resource usage which would otherwise be running on your machine. The privacy risk in that extends as far as you trust the company to not be "secretly taking your info" or whatever else conspiracy comes to mind.

7. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

+1

-Harsha

8. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

What happens if you loose internet connection

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Go to your friend's house, look for free public wi-fi, or piggyback.

10. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

11. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

And so will I.

Thanks.

12. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

When almost any kind of software you can want of is available for free, why pay to do much of the same on someone elses servers? Why worry about what they might do with your data when you can work with it using apps on your own system and avoid the problem completely? PC now have unprecedented processing power, nearly unlimited RAM, and incredible amounts of hard drive space. What's the big deal about using your own PCs nearly unlimited resources instead of paying someone else to use theirs?

All the privacy and security issues aside, I can see one big reason behind this push to the cloud. They're eventually going to make everything pay as you go. Instead of purchasing an app once (which makes little sense to start with when so much good Open Source is available for free) pay by the month over and over. This is the same tactic used by AV vendors to lock in customers and make them dependent on their services. You want to see where it's going? Look at MS Office 365 and factor in the first rule of Capitalism:
    Charge as much as the market will pay. That alone should tell you where this leads.

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

There's overhead as well, but you forgot about the advantages.
    Universal data access & management, more disk space, easier sharing of information, and offsite backup.

Also, how do you know it's all going to be paid services? Nobody can predict the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.