The best password vault

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by alant, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alant

alant Registered Member

Hello everyone. Could you tell me the name of the best freeware password vault/organizer? Google gives me a ton of results.
    Thanks, Alan

2. mrgigabyte

mrgigabyte Registered Member

i been using lastpass and i have been very happy with it
    it is very easy to use if your using firefox you can get it from the add ons

3. ^Ale

^Ale Registered Member

I use KeePass. It's open source software and very secure.

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

My preference would be Password Corral. I have found it to be the most usable over time. I've tried KeePass and it was ok but I like the way Password Corral handles expiring passwords better.

5. dantz

dantz Registered Member

KeePass is excellent.

6. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Another vote for Keepass. Open source and well maintained. I use it on my blackberry and synced across multiple systems (using dropbox). I use a strong password so I'm not concerned with having it sit on the dropbox server.

I've used several password vaults, but Keepass is the best in my experience.

7. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Tried 'em all and always go back to Roboform Pro.

8. Creer

Creer Registered Member

+1 for KeePass :thumb:

9. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

+1 for Roboform

10. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I know your request was for freeware, but eWallet has both a desktop and a mobile client with sync capability ;)

11. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

RememberMe is what I have used for a while now.

12. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Good call. I used eWallet when I had a Treo. I loved it. Once I switched to Blackberry, I got tired of the constant postponement of the Blackberry app ("just a few more weeks" turned into a year), so I switched to Keepass. While I still like eWallet, I just can't find a good enough reason to switch back to it. Nice piece of software though. Wish it were cheaper since Keepass is free.

13. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I will be switching from KeePass to LastPass. KeePass had worked fine but I want a solution not tethered to one machine.

PC Magazine rated LastPass the best in a roundup of 8 password managers, and at the best price (free) too.

14. traxx75

traxx75 Registered Member

If that's the main factor in your decision it should be noted that KeePass is completely portable if you download the ZIP archive instead of the installer, which means you put it on a USB flash drive and take it with you.

I'm not particularly paranoid but I'm also not that comfortable with a third party storing my passwords for me on their servers as LastPass do. It just adds a few more attack vectors an adversary can use. If this is an acceptable risk when considering your threat model, though, it would be a convenience centralized backup option.

Of course, there are several other features that LastPass offers over KeePass that may have influenced your decision :)

15. drone

drone Registered Member

16. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Thank you for pointing this out :). An additional factor is that I want any changes made to only have to be made once, and not have to worry about syncing issues. Thank you drone for mentioning KeePassSync.

LastPass claims to store only encrypted passwords on their servers, but without the key needed to decrypt. LastPass claims that only the user has the decryption key.

17. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

LastPass is also a compatible site for use with the YubiKey (mentioned in another thread). I think the technical mechanics of LastPass is sound. I'm also very interested in Svante Seleborg's Xecrets project as well. He is the founder and designer of AxCrypt.

18. billyeins

billyeins Registered Member

Agree with Password Corral, been using it for a while and works geat for my use!!

19. billyeins

billyeins Registered Member

Use Password Corral to store all of my Passwords and Portable Roboform Pro 2 Go to store passwords to enter when I access my favorite websites that require an username and password for entry, is my all time favorite password program, could not do with out it!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.