The best firewall (reliable, powerful, etc.) EVER in my opinion - Zone Alarm

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by stalker, Jun 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am running version 5.0.590.043 runs smooth as silk ;)

2. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Is that an update to the first ZA 5 that had problems? I am still runnin ZA PLus 4.5 until the bugs are gone.

Take Care,

Eliot *puppy*

3. f123

f123 Guest

Yes...still have some bugs. The new 5.x ZA engine is designed to run with CA's AV. I tested this AV and it takes about 2MB to update the virus definition...a lifetime for dial-up users. The average Avast update file is around 120KB.

4. vlk

vlk AV Expert

That much...? :eek:
    Maybe only if you haven't updated for a while (i.e. you missed some of the updates).

Normal incremental avast update is 3-20KB.

5. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Keeping a keen eye on Avast! issues aren't you, Ondrej ;). Be our guest - and all the best ;).

regards.

paul

6. f123

f123 Guest

Yes...I do manual Avast update. The average automatic update is very small, per VLK's post. Would be nice if Avast has a separate virus definition update program, just like the Avast e-mail scanner. Currently, to obtain automatic AV definition update, I must launch the FULL-TIME Avast scan engine during PC boot.

Here's one suggestion. Combine the Avast e-mail scanner AND the automatic virus definition update into one program. Include a screen where the user can choose between AUTO, MANUAL, or OFF. I'm a power user, so I do not run a resident AV scanner in the background. However, I DO WANT to scan my e-mails for bugs when retrieving and sending data.

7. Socio

Socio Registered Member

Same here Outpost does have a learning curve, I got so frustrated I quit on it the first time and went back to ZA. However I gave it a go again a few days later and took the time to learn it and consider it to be the best software firewall I have used.

One major thing I like about it over ZA and Norton is it does not slow my system down as much which is probably due in part to its ability to make good use of SMP and hyperthreading.

8. f123

f123 Guest

Tested both Outpost Pro and ZA Pro 4.5. Both performed well with my 600 MHz PIII. Can't say is one is faster than the other. Best feature of ZA Pro is the automatic cache/hard drive cleaner, cookies manager, and ID lock.

Still haven't found a way to completely disable Outpost Pro's log files.

9. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

change the log file name

Do other Firewalls create and dump a log file? I don't recall.

10. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Info here: http://outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7392

Nick

11. stalker

stalker Registered Member

Yes, and just to add this:

1. router (if one can afford it), sure ...

2. FW (freeware at least, ZA has few stable and just enough efficient free versions for begginers who don't ewant/know how to deal with more advanced protocol/port, source/destination traffic rules, etc.), but anyway, probably better to have some Pro version, and FW is the most crucial IMHO, as I already mentioned in this topic, that it is MORE important that AV (note: that is only my personal opinion, related to my connetion, system specs, and level of knowledge ...)

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=205341]Hacking perience

3. Proxy (software) !!
    All that time I thought proxy is something you need to purchase (software, or maybe even to buy some special "proxy hardware", like in case of router), make some agreement with some domain to be connected throug their IP, etc.

But as the most important - I thought it is only available for cable, LAN, or whatever high-speed connections (with stacionary IP), and not for analog telephone dial-up modem connections, as with my 56K Win Lucent Modem adapter (with Genius drivers)

NOT TRUE, NONE !!!

I started using the latest Naoko Proximitron 4.5-j (see also my posts in "privacy Software, and optionally on Computercops forums), and guys, it is non-setup application (no installation required), all required files are in one .zip file, you just extract to somewhere, set Control Panel -- Internet Options to use proxy, and that's it.

you can just GOOO, and surf SAFELY.

And w00t, also beside "local" Naoko Proximitron thing, siting between web and Internet Explorer in my case (basicly only filtering), there is also thing called "External Proxy", and that is the "real thing" (the real "Proxy" by definition AFAIK), see this example below, particulary for Wilders forum:

One connection, two enpoints, my PC (its hostname) and Wilders server ...

WITHOUT "EXTERNAL" PROXY:
    Local: my_computer_name:4082 -- Remote: www.wilderssecurity.com:80

WITH "EXTERNAL" PROXY:
    Local: my_computer_name:4082 -- Remote: choose_proxy_IP:80

... and choosen_proxy then connects to Wilders server:
    choosen_proxy_IP -- www.wilderssecurity.com:80

So you are actually "forwarded" through some other IP (like some kind of remote router, btw., I don't know anythingabout routers, just speculating from what I heard), and your IP is 100 % stealthed, of course, only for browser connections.

P.S., Again (like in case of alternative shells), I can't understand what I was missing all this time, it is whole new world for me, yeah to put inperspective - Naoko Proximitron rocks, it is FREE, non-setup, and yeah - anyone should use it !!

Regards, David Tadej

12. lynchknot

I bought my D-link 614+ - not great but cheap - around $35 after rebate - i've seen decent routers for less - around 20

Personally, I don't like proxy. It slows down internet to a crawl. I pay for 3000/256 and don't want to be reduced to dial up speeds. I don't visit sites where it's important for me to be annonymous anyway.

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Granted I don’t know a lot about "this stuff" but I’ve always been puzzled by advice that favors the Pro versions of Firewalls over the Free versions. If, for example, I have the free version of ZoneAlarm and I constantly test "Stealth" no matter what testing site I go to, why would I need the Pro version? I adhere to the old fashion philosophy that says "If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!" BTW, I do use the free ZA but I have it behind a NAT router. Just trying to learn, thank you.

Acadia

14. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Actually, Pro versions of security software are significantly stronger compared to the basic/standard editions. My sygate personal firewall is the Pro version, which is excellent.
    The only thing is: Pro editions of security software sometimes come at a price, meaning you have to pay money to buy it.

15. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

In some cases, the Pro version offers useful rather than significant features (e.g. Kerio Pro offers web filtering over the free version - which can be done using a number of free utilities, making the free version a good choice for a free firewall).

In other cases, the Pro version offers major enhancements (see earlier in this thread for details on ZoneAlarm - the inability of the Free version to restrict application access by port/destination can be a serious limitation). Outpost Pro also offers major enhancements over the free version which is now rather dated and performs poorly in leaktest comparisons.

16. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

I just wish phant0m`` was around mouahha would be hilarious to see where this could go.

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

How so? Is there something "better" than being completely stealth, I’m trying to learn. I’ve look at the Pro version of ZA and it comes with too much "junk". IE already has the best cookie manager that I have ever seen and I already have a popup killer that slays everything the net can throw at it. I want something simple but effective, ZA Free fits the bill, plus this is all behind a NAT router and in used in conjunction with BoClean. I’M TRYING TO LEARN, thanks.

Acadia

18. stalker

stalker Registered Member

Hum ...

Paranoid2000, sorry a bit out-dated, but anyway, I just noticed:

And in my post just few posts BEFORE yours, you won't belive - acually being a reply to YOUR post:

/EDIT: See: "For changes in this version, click here"

Don't you read replies, even those that are "direct" reply to your reply (wondering, is this fair) ??

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 30, 2004
  19. lynchknot

Hello "trying to learn" I'm not sure about newer versions of some firewalls but with Ootpost pro version - instead of just allowing an app, I can assign rules for every connection the app makes. For instance Harwaregeeks.com has many ads -but I can assgin rules to block them without affecting browser speed. You can do the same with Sygate but the way it's configured is different. Outpost seems easier, more convenient with the popups/viewer. I'm still learning as Outpost is new for me.

Attached Files:

20. Paranoid2000

Lynchknot,

That's a painful way to go about ad-blocking - just import the AGNIS list (which includes known spyware/malware sites along with advertising sites and terms).

Stalker,

Perhaps quoting some relevant information rather than linking to a 10-page list showing everything added since ZA 1.0.064 would allow me to craft a relevant response? ;)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2004
  21. lynchknot

Thank Paranoid but it's only that one site and only 5 blocks. I have protowall (reinstalled it) blocking most except the ones that slow my browser down (tribal fusion especially) by blocking with protowall. For some reason, blocking some site ads with Outpost does not slow things down. Protowall seems easier to just grab the whole list with blocklist manager and export to protowall automatically. The blocklist I use is rather large at 791KB - (hell, I don't know if it matters)

*edit - ok, you talked me into it. I'll try that. thank you - :)

- whom are you speaking to?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2004
  22. lynchknot

erm, is Agnes for Outpost? It will not install. The IE spyad installs fine.

23. Paranoid2000

Lynchknot,

Please raise these issues in a separate thread to avoid taking this one off-topic (the mods here have big sticks for those who post OT :D). Make sure that you are using the Outpost AGNIS list (agnis-op...) and that you follow the instructions given in section G of the Secure Configuration Guide to install it.

24. lynchknot

excuse me? you were the one who brought up agnis. Perhaps you should have PMed me instead. Sorry but my post above was following the thread's direction with Pro vs free topic. I was answering acadia's post. Every thread has some OT because threads grow and take other directions - it's like any natural conversation - if it gets out of hand, i'm sure the mods will cut in.

25. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I set all for tight security measures:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.