TH/GAV Deal Off

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Douglas, Jul 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamming

jamming Guest

What evidence would those who fawn over TDS-3 believe?
    1. The ICQ Chat Logs? No you would say they are manipulated.
    2. How about the fact that not getting the GAV Engine
    Source, in no way helps Trojan Hunter?
    3. How about it was not Magnus's idea to begin with?
    4. How about the fact that the GAV code is so compromised
    that it can be used to unpack malware in a way that it infects
    the computer running it as demonstrated by Andreas?
    5. Magnus tries to help someone out for something of
    dubious value and he has to put up with people dragging
    his name through the mud.
    6. Magnus stood ready to honor his part of the deal, what is
    Michael doing with the deal he initiated, he scuttled it.

Your innuendo makes me ill, no wonder I hardly come to this place anymore.

2. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

Who is Magnus o_O
    Dolf

3. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

That would be Magnus Mischel, Trojan Hunter's creator.

4. DolfTraanberg

Oh, I thought Michael was the bad guy o_O

5. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Hi Jamming,

Not a very good idea to start out your post with..What evidence would those who fawn over TDS-3 believe?

Even Jooske now feels put upon when asked to explain a statement as a theory is offered by her. But she did then clarify that it was just that.... ;)

Raising the stakes to bring the name of another product into the situation in an open forum is not going to win the day.

The others who have recently posted are also offering thoughts..and most are well intended. All the rest are just having a jolly good time.. :D

Be Well,
    John

6. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

I'm not sure if there is a bad guy.
    All I see are disappointed people, looking for a way to get rid of that feeling.

Regards,

Pieter

Is the animal in the jungle a monster because it is trying to survive?

7. blablabla

blablabla Guest

7. And what about Michael said he won't give Magnus the source and after that Magnus decided to inform the public about Michael's decission? So its not Magnus fault - he would full-fill his part of the deal. But Michael won't.

PS: Same as a few postings above - I know I am not welcome and feel free to delete this post.

Have a nice time,
    Andreas Haak

8. DolfTraanberg

I think I'm beginning to see the light, thanks :)

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Andreas don't worry.
    I think your clarifications are very valuable, as we all know you where part of the threeship A2<>TH<>GAV so i think you know more about the agreements and which parts of codes and engines is available for which product and all that behind the screens discussions etc then any of us.
    I am not defending nobody, i do just see people who feel disappointed and several ways how is tried to make them feeling less bad.
    I'm not into any discussion what is offered now in stead or the price of a product.
    If i am no owner of A2 it would be ridiculous if i would tell people for something i promised them in stead would give them your product without talking with you first! Or if i work with company X to offer your product for free while it is already free at the moment and my product which i stopped contained already your product's elements!
    I never said nowhere anybody is the bad guy, and i really don't see why Magnus (TH) would be if there was an agreement between Magnus and Michael under certain conditions and which onesided was not fulfilled by one of them so the other has not any reason to be in the deal and we from here don't know if that deal ever did excist at all between them and to the donators.
    Can you imagine in the worst case: there were some 40,000 downloads, mentioned in one of the postings above, if all those people would claim a free TH license?
    OK, let's just look at the 250 (?) donators, that would be an enormous amount on free licenses for TH if all donators really would want that offer! It is unrealistic!
    As said above, i stay out of legal complications and discussions too. It is different in every country anyway.
    For my feelings people have contributed to a common experience which all seem to have enjoyed, be it that there were discussions about the software itself on their own GAV forum.
    So if the stuff is ok, be happy with the experience, if it was no good on your system or even endangering it in any way be happy that disappointment is finished with uninstalling the stuff, so reason to be happy now too.

Jamming, TDS/DCS is not involved in this discussion in any ways, so i would appreciate if you leave that out of here in every way.
    If you want to tell me something personal or have something against me you can IM me, instead of spoiling this discussion thread, which i see as clean and to the point, and try to show my support and respect to the feelings of the disappointed people of whom are many valued members on this forum overhere too.
    And it's against the TOS of this board to attack moderators, there is not any reason to do so either, if you mean with your remark me personally or any of the other happy users of the software mentioned and not involved here in any ways.

I don't feel a victim in any ways, as i always had good discussions and could support people with the info Michael gives me.
    Let's just congratulate him with his new job and look forward to what he offers in new developments from there, as i wrote somewhere above already too.

Keep security happy and fun as ever, enjoy a good weekend all!

10. jamming

jamming Guest

<snip>

If Diamond Supporters want to really know what I think is, Magnus stood ready to give the licenses away and he knew how many licenses it was. There was no error upon Magnus part of the deal,

<snip>

Magnus did not start this post at your forum and merely at first informed his own and GAV's Forum the reason he was told for the deal being off.

Offtopic remarks removed to avoid unrelated heated arguments.

11. Douglas

Douglas Guest

That's true, I did. And I'm very sorry that I did. :'(
    I want to apologize to everyone. I feel like a troll.

Sincerely,
    Douglas

12. DolfTraanberg

Hi jamming,
    who is claiming there was ?
    why should you, was it a sercret or something? If it wasn't you it would be someone else, so don't feel sorry
    Dolf

13. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Jamming, once more i ask you to leave the DCS or users of their products out of this discussion: there is not any reason, they are not involved in this deal as TDS-users, matter, discussion in any way, it is ridiculous to even name what other people have on their system as none of those users did bring it in in any way, nor were discussing any critics about whatever software, nor is it even comparable with GAV as it's a complete different product, only somewhere along the line the product of Michael's new working environment was mentioned, not critisized, nobody said anything bad about GAV or TH.
    The only discussion is Magnus said the deal is off due to.. (hm, can't say "blablabla" as i normally would now Andreas is using this as his temporary nick here and if i say that it could cause new confusions, sorry Andreas) ..what is discussed in 5 pages above.
    And in which ways M&M are trying to be nice for the donators.

In other threads time ago i remember Gavin and i elsewhere mentioned GAV as a product with a good potential, never anything bad about that. If people might have had critical remarks and experiences that will have contributed to better development: we were talking about an alpha - beta product, not a final! That's part of betatesting, every developer will agree.
    I was no part of the betatesting GAV in any way so i never posted any question or critics about it either.
    Same for TH: you never hear me about it, or it would be that i post things like "hearsay good support" or such, nothing else.
    If you really like so much to point to what TDS is doing, i can also point you to a lovely thread in which several developers were contributing and discussing in a very harmonious way among them and helping each other to better detection, for our security, (see the "polymorph trojan thread in the TDS forum overhere) so why for heavens sake attack users of (their) programs you might or might not like on their own computers? What do i care what you have running? That's not my business, literary.
    If you ask support you will get it in this forum (other threads of course!) and each of the people visiting here will try to make sure your system is tiptop and clean and secure as much as possible and we do not exclude a person with other tools then our first choice.
    Not even this whole forum is connected to any software company in any way.
    Also that discussion has been done long time ago somewhere and has nothing to do with this current thread.
    This thread is not meant as a heavy discussion about several products, if you want that please open a new thread for that or contribute to excisting discussions threads.
    Keep it clean and on topic, the discussion at hand is only the TH<>GAV deal is off.

Douglas, don't feel like a troll, please, you did well to open this and give the info. Thank you for posting in the first place so people have a place to discuss in a structured way.
    The users are just disappointed about a product the world was waiting for is not continued and we all need time and patience to get used to that for the moment.

Off shopping now, i might buy me M&M's, the biggest bag available today!

14. Douglas

Douglas Guest

Thank you, Dolf and Jooske. I really appreciate your kind words. :)

Regards,
    Douglas

15. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Same goes for me Douglas,

You posted the information with a link to it..Pieter and Jooske Mod at this forum as well as many other very capable people..they not only do their best but they go overboard to make this a good forum even when the topics do get heated or speculative.

But intentionally posting as if you are looking to start some bloody war..rather than trying to clarify is not something I have seen until that post by Jamming and it surprised me also..

Old wounds do heal slow. :(

Silence is not always a Sign of Wisdom, but Babbling is ever a folly.
    Ben Franklin

16. Madsen DK

Madsen DK Registered Member

Gee, what a story.
    :( :(
    Regds Ole

PS. Note to SS. post. They are behind ANTIVIR too.

17. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Back, with two big bags of M&Ms in my shopping cart, none wonders where these came from :)

Straigth Shooter, i'm sure you will understand your posting is off topic in this thread and should be moved over to another exi(s)ting thread about AV tests, there are various in the forum, one of the global mods will most certainly like to help you moving it.
    I can but repeat in the dutch PCMagazine AV was mentioned (march or april 2003) the best alternative at the moment for the free tools, doing it's job properly.
    Michael can certainly contribute to something and learn more. OFF TOPIC too.

Have a cold drink or an icecream all to clear up overheated keyboards and please stay on topic in the respectful and decent way it all started.

For those with too short memory: the thread topic is GAV<>TH deal is off.
    Post your happyness for M finding a new steady job and the possible good coming from that for the internet community, your gratitude for M to stand ready to be part in a deal for the users and understanding M to cancel in the current situation, your gratitude and pride for being part in a very large betatesters team, don't frustrate possible solutions with overheated claims but better offer hands for working to a valid solution for all.
    I can imagine if M (and M) finds a group of cooperative people they are not forced to defend themselves behind a protective (fireproof)wall but might step forward in open discussions with the people to find something all will agree and be happy with.
    In fact with the heavy words about legal matters they are now forced to first check with a lawyer before they can make any step further in any discussion.
    There was a threeship, M A M or Michael Andreas Magnus or GAV A2 TH of which several parts are from the same hand, and we will see them back somehow and now it is at the moment each in their own separate place, unfortunately maybe, only they know.
    Let's just wait and see and see what can be done for all involved, as the threeship maybe lost something too, at least valuable time for all those discussions.

18. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hey Douglas.

I appreciate you starting this thread. ;)
    This topic is one that a lot of people have an interest in as former GAV users.
    I'm one of them.

For me it's a question of "what's going on?"
    I found a lot of answers that may not have been available without this thread.

19. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:mad: what the heck i hardly ever have to use the-mad smiley but this warrants it

my god it like some one took a dump on this thread and left.

:mad: jamming that was a perty nasty dump man.

every body already knows all that by reading from the beginning of this thread to the ending

its kinda counter productive to go in reverse.

all that stuff you said is been perty much highlighted no one is blaming Magnus at all nor the old gav crew.

those guys have nothing to do with this.

And as for andreas one of my fave programmers up there with wayne, galvin and jason as well as Java cool and pepi well

Andreas can make anything out to be a lethal weapon with a little reverse engineering lol.

he can turn boclean on itself he can make something specifically to bypass tds if he wanted to

bottom line anything is possible.

so just cause there one example of how gav can go bad don't make it nescearly true

a programmer would have to specifically make something to defeat the program.

andreas probably one of the best reversee engineering people lol

so i think it has very little merit because same thing can be said about any program andreas looks at he can always with enough time find a products weakness

but what he ought to be doing is making his owen software with none of the weakness rather then tearing up some ones work.

i think it a waist of his skills

he should be finishing up his stuff then he can compare it to his and say mine don't do that or this and has none of these bugs like these guys do.

all eyes are basically turn on Michael and no one else

i think we went backwards here

i think what Dolf ,dan,Bdiamond said is where we should begin not reverse and further reverse

nope jooskey i mever did get
    Gladiator Anti 4.1.5 Beta build
    Interface: 4.1.5. Engine: 3.4.8. Pattern: 1.5.8. Daily Pattern: 23.06.2.0.03

the last build that was online only way you could get it was threw an online update snif snif

what i got ahold of was The last full set up.exe that was uploaded to be downloaded was Gladiator antiviruse v4.1.3 beta build

with interface version 413 engine 348 gavos1.0 pattern version 156 daily pattern 01/06/2003

the last dowenload setup.

after further review of 3 forums looks like i was wrong about . Pattern: 1.5.8. Daily Pattern: 23.06.2.0.03 that there was a newer one then this

looks like the only thing new michale made was the engine that never made the light of day unpack engine 5.0 so basicly there was only one update that never made it

and jooskey why you keep refering to gav as nostalgia it has sentlemento value to me lol calling it nostalgia seem bad.

to his

his owen.

20. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Nostalgia for me is sweet memories Blaze, don't you speak Spanish?
    [glow=red,10,300] :cool:[/glow][glow=yellow,10,300] :p[/glow][glow=blue,10,300] :blink:[/glow][glow=maroon,10,300] :oops: [/glow][glow=green,10,300] :D[/glow]
    crunch crunch
    M&Ms

21. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Does anyone actually have any new information to add here, or are we only going to go around in circles trying to vent anger?

Here is the key fact:

The GAV to TH deal is off and unless something truly amazing happens, it will probably stay off.

If there is nothing productive to add, then this thread will be closed.

22. DolfTraanberg

Good thinking my dear Watson!

23. In case you folks are wondering, I deleted my last post. No one, including "Jooske" told me to.. I just realized this thead isn't going anywhere..
    I think this thread should be closed; the sooner the better... I hope LWM decides to close it...

24. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

lock it up and bury it lol

25. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Straight Shooter, indeed not, i think your very valid points would add better to specific discussions elsewhere aboard. So please do in such a thread if you still have the screenshot.
    And i wanted to contribute on keeping this thread as much on topic as possible, also for your own good.

Honestly said i hoped Michael and/or Magnus would have written a few words themselves, as i always like to talk with people in stead of only about them.

If somebody by profession is able to contribute with real valid legal issues at hand i think those could be very interesting, but maybe those could better be discussed in a new thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.