Testing software that requires a reboot

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by pdr, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdr

pdr Registered Member

Hello Returnil People:

I would like to test out a software program, while under the System Safe in Returnil. If it is not good, I would like it to simply "disappear."

I know that using the system safe, I can install it, and try it out. If I do not like it, I can simply reboot, and the program will disappear, along with any changes that it may have implemented on my computer.

However, the program needs a reboot to be completed (like Returnil, in fact). But if I reboot, the program will no longer be present.

How can I set up Returnil so that I can safely install my test program, reboot, try it out, then have it vanish?

Thank you for your help.

Peter

2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Unfortunately, Returnil can't be used to test software that requires a reboot.

One option would be to use a Virtual Machine for software testing. Another option would be to use imaging or rollback software to discard the changes made by a software installation after you have finished testing.

Hopefully, in a future release of Returnil, the technical problems involved in enabling virtual sessions to persist across reboots will be solved.

3. korben

korben Registered Member

We all count on it
    For now - WMLite or Vbox

4. pdr

pdr Registered Member

Thank you pegr and korben.
    I guess that you mean VMLite...? They look very interesting. I'll check them out.

Thanks,

Peter

5. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi pegr,
    Look for this in the 3.2 series with the new Multi-state restore feature. I don't have an exact date for when the Beta will begin, but it shouldn't be too much longer...

Mike

6. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Thanks Mike; that's good news. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.