Testing new computer question

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ohblu, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohblu

ohblu Registered Member

Please settle a stupid debate.

If you order a computer from someplace like Dell or HP, they only give 21 days for you to return it, but give a 1 year warranty. So, isn't it best to setup the computer as soon as it's delivered and test it for the full 21 days rather than waiting until you only have 8 days left to return it? I mean, if something is going to go wrong isn't it more likely to go wrong within the 21 days rather than in the 8 days?

2. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I think you might have to check with Santa for an answer.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Who is going to get a new computer, and then wait almost two weeks to set it up? Not I.

Pete

4. ohblu

ohblu Registered Member

A relative insisted that I order their new computer for them last week. It arrived a few days ago. They told me to let them know when I was available to set it up and I said Monday (12/20) as I wanted to get it up and running asap. When I called to see if they were making room for it and getting their files off the old computer, they said they don't have time (they were too busy baking cookies) and to wait until after Christmas. I told them they only have 19 days left to test it out. They said that the warranty would take care of everything and not to worry about it. I was like ok, if you say so.

I wasn't sure if it was worth arguing about because I wasn't sure if I was right (I thought maybe I was being too anal about it). If it were my computer, I would have had everything ready before it even arrived so I could set it up right away and thoroughly test it out before the return period was up. I'm especially irritated because this screws up my plans (again) because I'm the one that has to set it all up. Maybe I should start charging them a fee, especially when they inconvenience me with their stupidity.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  5. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

With family you're not going to win; they have their holiday timetable and you certainly don't want to be seen as a nag.

While I completely agree with your viewpoint, just let it go and perform the set-up at a time that is convenient for you as well as them.
    Undoubtedly, you are also very busy this time of year and probably have lots of things going on in your life, so try not to stress about it and today if possible, prearrange a specific time to proceed with the set-up so that everyone concerned is aware of the timetable.

In the meantime, I believe you should provide them with a list of things they can do to expedite the process such as clearing a reasonable sized work space with good lighting and easy access to AC outlets, a complete list of all files they wish to save/transfer to the new computer, and to have at-hand all peripherals (such as printer, external drive(s), router, etc.) and associated cables
    Providing the list will serve to remind them that your time is also valuable.

One last thing you might find helpful would be to access the user manual online and spend a few minutes to familiarize yourself with that particular brand and model and the recommended set-up process. Also, download and burn to CD/DVD any drivers you might need as up to date software might not have been provided with the new computer.

Good luck with the process.

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I would go back to them, explain, why you want to do what you want, and if they feel the warranty covers them fine, just make sure they understand who will be dealing with the company if there is a problem.

Pete

7. ohblu

ohblu Registered Member

I am so glad you said that. I completely forgot about the stupid recovery discs I have to make. From what I've heard, new computers from Dell and HP don't ship with any of the recovery discs, including the Windows 7 disc. I think the first thing people are supposed to do is make the recovery discs before installing any programs. What a pain. So now I have to go read up on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.