TestDisk & PhotoRec

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by TheKid7, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I want to get some experience using TestDisk & PhotoRec (using the Parted Magic Live CD) during the next few weeks. I have one PC on which I usually install Linux Distros. Currently Ubuntu 11.10 is installed on that PC. I could use that PC for getting some experience with TestDisk & PhotoRec.

To get the most experience with TestDisk & PhotoRec, what steps should I take? I am thinking about something like the following:

1. Delete the Linux partitions with GParted and then try to Restore the deleted Linux Partitions with TestDisk.

2. Quick Format the entire hard drive and then try to Restore the Linux Partitions.

3. Install Windows XP Pro or Windows 7, delete the Partitions and then try to Restore the Windows Partitions with TestDisk.

4. Quick Format the entire hard drive and then try to Restore the Windows Partitions with TestDisk.

5. Etc.

Any comments/recommendations on the above? Any new testing ideas/suggestions?

Please share your experiences with TestDisk & PhotoRec.

Thanks in Advance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.