Terra Privacy -- Dynamically generated whitelists

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hawki, May 26, 2017.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Answer is still the same, it's not a substitution for outbound control that firewalls offer. It only tries to block suspicious connections that may come from malware/trojans that injected code into the browser or perhaps even system processes.

2. NiteRanger

NiteRanger Registered Member

It blocks applications as well besides the browser

If you still think this is not adequate enough what else do you think HD Pro still needs to block outgoing that a firewall can that it lacks?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi NiteRanger

I just took another look at HD Pro, so here is my take for me. As a browser add on for privacy stuff it's really cool. I can do almost as much with Ublock Origin or No Script. But the price tag makes the extra features questionable. But as far as malware is concerned no way. By the time it would you are already infected. It may block out going communication but a lot of damage can already have been done. As yourself this? They did 4 videos, why didn't they address Ransomware. That's the biggie today.

4. NiteRanger

Hi

Have you try it for I'm running it for the last couple of days?

The developer already stated that it's not an AV, not an anti-ransomware neither an IDS. I think he said it either in WSF or MT I can't remember that. He made it specifically clear that it's not the intent of his program to protect/control incoming and in-process problems. That will be the user's responsibility.

His program is to control the outgoing aspect. His program controls the browser, processes and applications from phoning home. Of course the user makes that decision similar to that of the firewall whereby the user Allow/Deny the outgoing.

If a malware creates a problem WITHOUT phoning home then it's not HD Pro responsibility as that's NOT the intent of it. Similarly, can a firewall blocks a malware already in the system if it's not phoning home? If you have a malware creating havoc in the system then you'll need to find other security software to address it.

The advantage of HD Pro I see over the outgoing function of a firewall is that it displays the companies' names for easy user reference otherwise the user will have to trace the outgoing IP address in the firewall to whatever company it's connecting to. Convenience in using HD Pro is the word.

5. Peter2150

I ran it for a day. I hear what you are saying, and I understand it as Michael Wood said the same thing. It comes down to it's just not worth $39 a year to me.

6. NiteRanger

So you agree that it can act as a substitute for the outgoing functions of a firewall? Because decision to ALLOW/DENY at outgoing still rest on the user just like in a firewall

7. Peter2150

I didn't say that, and no I wouldn't use it that way.

8. NiteRanger

I'm not saying you should remove the firewall. I meant can HD Pro substitute the outgoing functions of a firewall?

If no, then what's lacking in HD Pro as compared to the outgoing function of a firewall? Can you elaborate? Is HD Pro not blocking something at outgoing that a firewall can?

I believe your replies sure can help Michael Wood to improve his HD Pro

9. Peter2150

Well right off the bat, in my firewall I can specify a public or private network and it protects differently. Beyond that I don't really know, and it's not something I care to spend of time on. All I can tell you is I wouldn't replace the firewall with HD Pro

Oh, I think you would have to go thru everything to add it to HD Pro manually. And if you miss something....

And lastly since I run EIS and it has the firewall, any thing extra is an added unnecessary cost.

10. NiteRanger

Protection in private/public networks also need outgoing, right?

I mentioned I never said the latter and that's because the firewall handles the incoming as well which HD Pro is not doing. I only talk of outgoing

11. Peter2150

HI Niteranger

I've said all I can. I wouldn't use it. You have to make that decision about it your self.

12. NiteRanger

Thank you. Nice discussing with you

13. guest

guest Guest

not the purpose of a FW, and HD Pro doesn't too.

FW indicate the outgoing process , easy to know what is calling home, then it shows the remote adress, so you just do a lookup. replied you on MT about it.

14. NiteRanger

All these I know for I'm using FW and also using HD Pro for a couple of days already.

What's calling home for a software? Checking definition updates, software version updating check, telemetry send back, asking instructions from C&C to create damage to system in the case of a malware, right? Now, can a FW differentiate ALL and block only say the last two which are bad? I know HD Pro cannot differentiate them. It only can say which company it's connecting to and you make the decision to ALLOW/BLOCK.

15. guest

guest Guest

again, not the purpose of a FW to decide which is good or which is bad. The sole purpose of a FW is monitoring traffic and allow/block connections based on rules made by the vendor or the user.

16. NiteRanger

Agreed. You just confirmed that a FW CANNOT differentiate the examples I mentioned. Neither can HD Pro.

What rules FW make by vendor/user ultimately it is a ALLOW/DENY decision just like HD Pro

17. guest

guest Guest

but a FW do more than HD Pro. That is it. Anyway you can't compare both, because HD Pro isn't supposed to replace a FW, but complement it.

18. Peter2150

Hi Niteranger

I get the feeling you are asking use to justify your use of HD Pro. You don't need it, the only thing you need to justify your using it is you like it.. Enjoy!!!

Pete

19. NiteRanger

I NEVER said to replace a FW by HDP. I said to replace the outgoing function of the FW with HDP

20. guest

guest Guest

Exact, 6 pages on MT about that, same here , when dozen of people said to him he cant.

You can't totally replace it. It is a fact.
    With HDP , can you block specific ports, IP adresses and protocols ? NO. so get over with it.

21. NiteRanger

Nope. Not that reason. Basically, the software does its job well but there are still some minor issues with the software.

22. Peter2150

Hi Niteranger

I see where you are coming from but you are asking at the wrong site. Michael Wood came here, but he presented his software as the vital component of security and totally dismissed the concept of keeping malware off your system. And if you protect your system such that malware can't get on your system you don't need HD pro. He tried to over sell it here and else where and people just didn't buy they argument so he left and hasn't been back.

So you heard from folks at both forums. You have to make a decision. Is the software worth the money with the issues. I've taken a different approach to the problem you are trying to address, but it's not appropriate to this thread. PM me if you are curious.

Pete

23. guest

guest Guest

Yes that was funny how some few valid arguments made him disappeared for good.
    Easy to fool noobs, not so much against security-knowledgeable people.

24. Rasheed187

Isn't that a bit harsh, perhaps he's working on the project? I think the idea is interesting, but the product is not good enough yet.

I've read the discussion, but I'm not following you. Again, the product is not designed to replace the outbound control function of firewalls. But it will try to block suspicious connections that are made by the browser.

25. Rasheed187

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.