Terra Privacy -- Dynamically generated whitelists

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hawki, May 26, 2017.

1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Okay Michael. A question. How does it get on my system. Another words how do I get infected.

2. Michael Wood

Michael Wood Registered Member

Forgive me Peter, but what's the "it" you speak of. How does what get on your system?

If you're talking about trojans that connect to command and control centers then there's an unlimited number of ways they can get in. A computer will always be vulnerable to such trojans getting in; but that doesn't mean that the trojans have to be allowed to communicate out.

That's why we focus on the opposite. The number of ways to get in is almost infinite; creating a possibly unsolvable situation. But the number of ways to create IP packets that can be routed across the internet to a command and control center is quite limited; creating a very solvable situation. This is where Hacker Deterrent Pro comes in.

3. guest

guest Guest

What about XSS attacks? people seems to forgot them and i guess HDP is made to monitor the traffic originating from those attacks (cookies stealing, etc...).

4. Peter2150

I am talking about specific infections. There is no point in focusing on the out if nothing gets in so give me some specifics examples, of how some malware gets in. What you seem to be saying is let the infection in but keep it from calling home. How do you keep it from getting in.

Let me ask the question this way. If I go to MT and download a hundred pieces of malware, and take off everything but your software, will I be 100% protected?

5. guest

guest Guest

@Peter2150 to me HDP isn't a main protection soft, but just an outbound malicious connection monitor specialized in detailed monitoring of browser/apps outbound traffic. nothing less, nothing more.

6. Peter2150

I agree, but that's not what is being implied.

7. Michael Wood

@guest , you got it 100%. We would never tell anyone not to try to limit the number of trojans that get into their computer. However, it's very important to have a whitelist-based outbound protection for the trojans that do slip through the cracks and make their way in. @Peter2150 by all means install everything you can think of to try to keep trojans from getting in; but by all means use something additional like Hacker Deterrent Pro to keep your digital life out of hacker's hands when a trojan sneaks in.

8. Michael Wood

@Peter2150 , we're extremely transparent about what we do because we're very proud of what we do!

9. Peter2150

But then why not provide specific answers to questions.

10. Michael Wood

Here's a quote from an earlier post of mine: "Our software specifically stops in-memory trojans from being able to directly communicate with command and control centers after they've already injected themselves into a trusted system process. This is the most common type of trojan responsible for most serious breaches."

Notice that I specifically say "after they've already injected themselves into a trusted system process." We're exceedingly transparent and straightforward.

11. Peter2150

Yes, but you are avoiding the questions I've asked. I wouldn't lay out money based on your answers.

12. Michael Wood

See my post above. I do provide specific answers. Kindly forgive what I'm going to say, but sometimes your questions are very vague. Such as asking how an unspecified "it" gets onto the computer. That's okay. No problem. I'm certainly not accusing you of trying to be vague. But kindly understand that it's often hard to answer a vague question with a specific answer.

13. Michael Wood

Kindly see my post above.

14. guest

guest Guest

@Peter2150 what question specifically? because you asked many :p

15. Michael Wood

Our software simply does one thing and one thing only: Our software specifically stops in-memory trojans from being able to directly communicate with command and control centers after they've already injected themselves into a trusted system process. This is the most common type of trojan responsible for most serious breaches.

That's it. It's that straightforward.

We don't do antivirus. We don't do anti-intrusion. We don't do anti-ransomware. Etc. We proudly sever trojan connections to command and control centers if and when a trojan slips through your initial lines of defense. So that, at the very least, your digital life stays safe nonetheless.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  16. Peter2150

These questions.

17. Michael Wood

Here is my answer above that was addressed to both @guest and yourself:

@guest , you got it 100%. We would never tell anyone not to try to limit the number of trojans that get into their computer. However, it's very important to have a whitelist-based outbound protection for the trojans that do slip through the cracks and make their way in. @Peter2150 by all means install everything you can think of to try to keep trojans from getting in; but by all means use something additional like Hacker Deterrent Pro to keep your digital life out of hacker's hands when a trojan sneaks in.​

We're not saying "let the infection in." Rather, we're saying that you need protection once a trojan does get it. By all means use other programs to try to limit it from happening in the first place. Also, Hacker Deterrent Pro's DNS selections include anti-malware DNS servers to try to keep trojans from getting in. But, at the end of the day, the best way to make sure that your digital life doesn't get exfiltrated is to have a whitelist-based outbound security system.

18. guest

guest Guest

yes it is what i guessed. HDP act more like a "firewall complement" since a classic firewall's outbound protection alert only on the program's connection attempt by blocking the main exe (say Chrome.exe). However FWs don't monitor/block every connections that the exe does, it is where HDP enters, it gives more infos on what exactly is trying to go out and where.

HDP seems to be able to granularly offer the user to block some of the connections while allowing others.

19. Peter2150

Thank You Mike. That is the answer I am looking for.

20. Michael Wood

And thank you for your persistence to help me explain better. ;-)

21. Peter2150

Your are most welcome.

22. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

OK, I see. So it also protects system processes like for example svchost.exe out of the box. BTW, about the new GUI, is it going to be a bit like GlassWire?

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/security-everyone-reviewing-glasswire-basic

HD Pro is meant to protect the system even when malware like RAT's and trojans have infected the system. It does this by blocking the outbound connections that are needed to take control over the system. If you're confident that malware will never be able to run on your system, then you don't need it obviously.

23. NiteRanger

NiteRanger Registered Member

Hi

1) Does it block Windows processes besides blocking applications? And does it whitelist ALL Windows processes and indicate 'Microsoft' without differentiation?

2) Do I still need another whitelisting app like VoodooShield if I have Terra Privacy?

3) Does it replace the outgoing function of a firewall??

4) Does it support Chromium/Chromium-based browsers like Ungoogled Chromium, Iridium etc and Waterfox for I see 'Chrome and Firefox' on your website only. Or are "Chrome and Firefox' refer to extensions provided with the software?

5) Is it available for purchase now for I see a price tag on the website? Is the software a full-released version or still in beta?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  24. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

To both questions: Yes you still do need them. I'm guessing the developers are busy developing a more user friendly version with a better GUI.

25. NiteRanger

NiteRanger Registered Member

Thanks

I have been using HD Pro for a few days now and I'm happy with it. But it has some issues which I like to feedback but can't find the developer here and over at MT for the last few days.

For the firewall I meant the outgoing function only and NOT the entire firewall.. Note:- Edited the question.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.