Terra Privacy -- Dynamically generated whitelists

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hawki, May 26, 2017.

1. guest

guest Guest

i like the concept , and im sure @Rasheed187 will love it , he has now a kind of cloud based HIPS for browsers :p

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Well, I do need to apologize because I just discovered everything is explained quite clearly on your homepage, very interesting blog! About the Transient Whitelisting tech, is it comparable to how extensions like Ghostery and uBlock work? With that I mean, they also keep track of all domains that are loaded.

Actually, I don't think it's cloud based. But what do you think of it, doesn't it sound brilliant? I wonder why other tools haven't come up with this idea. Or am I missing something.

https://blog.terraprivacy.com/2016/12/02/key-to-it-all/

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

You mean whitelisting?

I don't think you need the tool if you already have an adblocker installed.

If you don't care for one, this would be a good alternative.

4. askmark

askmark Registered Member

IMO $50 a year is way too expensive for what it is. The user interface is painful. I havent come across a less intuitive application for a long time. The user isn't given any guidance or even a jot of a clue as to what any of the icons, windows, or settings mean or do - basic Tooltips would be a good idea here!

The tech may be next-gen and very,very clever, but I wouldn't know because I have no idea what's going on.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  5. Michael Wood

Michael Wood Registered Member

Hacker Deterrent Pro has a number of critical features that neither Ghostery nor uBlock contain. Some of these features include:

1) We use a digitally-signed kernel-level firewall that blocks all internet traffic not in the whitelists. Only corporate trackers are blocked by the plugin whereas trojans are blocked by the kernel-level firewall. Our design principle is tight. If a hacker disables our plugin then no browser traffic is in the whitelist. This automatically results in the kernel-level driver blocking all browser traffic. In other words, if a hacker tampers with the plugin, he only shuts himself off from the internet anyway! Neither Ghostery nor uBlock have anything remotely close to this. In fact, if a hacker disables the Ghostery or uBlock plugins then he has unfettered access; unlike Hacker Deterrent Pro.

2) Ghostery and uBlock only work on pages that are loaded; whereas Hacker Deterrent Pro automatically removes entries from the browser's Transient Whitelist whenever you close a page. This is another critical distinction. Many webpages are being designed so that users must allow connections to certain companies in order for the page to load in the first place. Therefore, when the page itself is being loaded, the connection is absolutely required. Fortunately, the moment you close the page, Hacker Deterrent Pro severs your computer from every connection made by the page so that the companies cannot continually track you as you move from page to page. Again, neither Ghostery nor uBlock have anything remotely close to this. By the way, this is the same feature of Hacker Deterrent Pro that protects you from Drive-By Downloads if you accidentally visit a malicious site.

3) Ghostery and uBlock can only block sites contained in webpages. They cannot and do not block browser-infected trojans. Fortunately, Hacker Deterrent Pro blocks everything that's not contained in webpages, providing a fail safe mechanism for stopping browser-infected trojans regardless of how they compromised the browser in the first place.

4) Ghostery and uBlock are only used for managing browser traffic. Hacker Deterrent Pro also has a separate whitelisting module for computer applications.

5) Hacker Deterrent Pro also locks down your chosen DNS servers to help thwart specific man-in-the-middle attacks. This also is something that neither Ghostery nor uBlock provide.

And there are so many more features to Hacker Deterrent Pro. In short, even when it comes to the browser, the design architecture of Hacker Deterrent Pro is vastly different than both Ghostery and uBlock.

6. Michael Wood

Kindly remember that we are still in beta. We are currently in the process of updating user guides and tutorials, and we are seeking feedback from beta users to know what additional features are needed to make the product easier to use.

You will find links to the latest versions of the user guide and tutorials here: https://terraprivacy.com/support-HDP/

Also, we are testing at this very moment a step-by-step installation wizard which will be included in the final commercial release (in response to beta user feedback). If you'd like to share additional feedback on what you'd like to see in the product, we welcome it.

7. Michael Wood

Hacker Deterrent Pro is not interchangeable with Ghostery nor uBlock. Hacker Deterrent Pro has a number of critical features that neither Ghostery nor uBlock provide:

1) We use a digitally-signed kernel-level firewall that blocks all internet traffic not in the whitelists. Only corporate trackers are blocked by the plugin whereas trojans are blocked by the kernel-level firewall. Our design principle is tight. If a hacker disables our plugin then no browser traffic is in the whitelist. This automatically results in the kernel-level driver blocking all browser traffic. In other words, if a hacker tampers with the plugin, he only shuts himself off from the internet anyway! Neither Ghostery nor uBlock have anything remotely close to this. In fact, if a hacker disables the Ghostery or uBlock plugins then he has unfettered access; unlike Hacker Deterrent Pro.

2) Ghostery and uBlock only work on pages that are loaded; whereas Hacker Deterrent Pro automatically removes entries from the browser's Transient Whitelist whenever you close a page. This is another critical distinction. Many webpages are being designed so that users must allow connections to certain companies in order for the page to load in the first place. Therefore, when the page itself is being loaded, the connection is absolutely required. Fortunately, the moment you close the page, Hacker Deterrent Pro severs your computer from every connection made by the page so that the companies cannot continually track you as you move from page to page. Again, neither Ghostery nor uBlock have anything remotely close to this. By the way, this is the same feature of Hacker Deterrent Pro that protects you from Drive-By Downloads if you accidentally visit a malicious site.

3) Ghostery and uBlock can only block sites contained in webpages. They cannot and do not block browser-infected trojans. Fortunately, Hacker Deterrent Pro blocks everything that's not contained in webpages, providing a fail safe mechanism for stopping browser-infected trojans regardless of how they compromised the browser in the first place.

4) Ghostery and uBlock are only used for managing browser traffic. Hacker Deterrent Pro also has a separate whitelisting module for computer applications.

5) Hacker Deterrent Pro also locks down your chosen DNS servers to help thwart specific man-in-the-middle attacks. This also is something that neither Ghostery nor uBlock provide.

And there are so many more features to Hacker Deterrent Pro. In short, even when it comes to the browser, the design architecture of Hacker Deterrent Pro is vastly different than both Ghostery and uBlock.

8. guest

guest Guest

i know Adguard for Desktop has a filter logging (see screenshot) , but it is not advanced as HDP
    The idea is very nice.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      73.7 KB
      Views:
  9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Does it use the WFP driver?

10. Michael Wood

The architecture of the commercial release will have the following components:
    • WFP Transport Driver: Used to distinguish which apps are sending/receiving which packets.
    • NDIS Driver: For lower-level control (for use in MAC-based LAN packet whitelisting which is forthcoming)
    • WebExtension Plugin: For cataloguing which webpages connect to which sites.
    • Cloud Services: Provides domain owner info services, site geolocation services, trusted DNS servers list, etc.
    • User-Mode GUI: All four of the above connect to and are coordinated by the user-mode GUI.
    In a forthcoming version of Hacker Deterrent Pro a MAC-based bridge driver will also be included to allow you to use your computer as a HotSpot for every smart device in your home or office. This too will connect to the GUI so that every device in your home or office can be protected by dynamically generated whitelists.

11. ronald739

ronald739 Registered Member

Do you have to white list most programs that are trying to phone home ? Found it blocked Dropbox, OneDrive, etc (being blocked, thought was for browser's only)

I have watched the 5 minute set up as you have on your website, but found it did not help much.

After installing, using Firefox and Chrome it offered to install the extensions which i did except, and they installed without a problem.

Like the idea of this, even though i don't really get how it works.

Regards.

Attached Files:

12. Rasheed187

Thanks for the info, but to clarify, I already knew that it wasn't anything like Ghostery and uBlock. But the part that I still can't visualize (because of a lack of knowledge) is how HD Pro knows if a connection is not related to a website. The way I see it, is that script-blockers simply list all first and third party scripts (+ domain names) related to a website.

I suppose HD Pro also does this, but let's say some trojan connects to hacker.com, then HD Pro will block it because it can see it's not related to an open website, correct? The reason why I'm asking is because when you look at the open connections in a network monitor, there is no way to know which website triggered those connections. BTW, why do we need the browser extensions?

13. ronald739

ronald739 Registered Member

Does using this change your home page to start page with the DNS that you use ?

Stopping HDP opening Firefox & Chrome brings up a "Hacker Deterrent Alert" that open's a new tab to Terra Privacy.

Knowing this is a Beta and releasing a new one next week, I'm hoping for a better help file.

What is your intended user people, Home User' or something else ?

14. hawki

hawki Registered Member

IIRC there is a segment in one of the video tutorials that specifically addresses setting your homepage after installation.

15. Michael Wood

Each time you open your browser, Hacker Deterrent Pro's kernel-level firewall blocks all browser traffic until your browser loads the security plugin. This is necessary (otherwise trojans could take advantage of this window of time). Therefore, your homepage needs to be registered with Hacker Deterrent Pro so that it can tell the security plugin to launch it after it loads.

The latest beta release posted now included a Step-by-Step Wizard. This Wizard includes a screen for setting up the homepage.

Any additional feedback on our latest product is both welcomed and appreciated.

16. Michael Wood

Each time you open your browser, Hacker Deterrent Pro's kernel-level firewall blocks all browser traffic until your browser loads the security plugin. This is necessary (otherwise trojans could take advantage of this window of time). Therefore, your homepage needs to be registered with Hacker Deterrent Pro so that it can tell the security plugin to launch it after it loads.

The latest beta release posted now included a Step-by-Step Wizard. This Wizard includes a screen for setting up the homepage.

Also, in response to another post: Yes, our product is for controlling all internet traffic (not just browsers). Hacker Deterrent Pro allows you to choose who can talk to your browser, who can talk to your apps, and which DNS Servers your Operating System is allowed to use.

Based on the beta feedback, we are currently reworking the interface (yet maintaining 100% functionality). Our prior product (Hacker Deterrent) was literally used by grandmothers. Now we are paying close attention to feedback regarding the Pro version to continually make it easier to use until it can be easily used by all.

Any additional feedback on our latest product is both welcomed and appreciated.

17. Michael Wood

Thank you for your continued candid replies. They're very helpful.

The next beta release will be posted June 12th. This release will have a reworked interface and it also will include a window for you to peek inside the inner workings of Hacker Deterrent Pro. I believe this window will allow you (and others) to fully experience what's happening inside, and thereby immediately internalize exactly how this product works in it's very unique way.

I believe this release will empower you to fully visualize how Hacker Deterrent knows how to distinguish trojan traffic from website traffic. I'll gladly confirm when the release is posted.

18. Rasheed187

OK thanks, sounds good to me. :thumb:

19. guest

guest Guest

Installed it , will play with it :D

20. guest

guest Guest

@Michael Wood

1- i would suggest a tray icon with menu , will be easier to use.

2- also if we van get an alert when a application try to connect to the net. be forced to have the window open permanently isn't convenient.

3- seems to have an issue with slack.com , i can't get into my team group, it load infinitely

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2017
  21. Michael Wood

Thanks for the feedback.

1. We started with a [Menu] button but nontechnical people found that hard to use. The [Setup] button now features a Step-by-Step Wizard. We changed to the [Setup] button due to user feedback. However, kindly note that the original menu is still accessible by clicking [Setup] and then selecting "Advanced."

2. Having the window open is an essential security feature. All security software that runs silently in the background can also be silently disabled by hackers. Therefore, Hacker Deterrent Pro uniquely includes a blinking health monitor that will either stop blinking or turn red if Hacker Deterrent Pro's security is tampered with. This design criteria shuts down a gaping security hole found in all background security offerings. Also, another design criteria is that we always show who's accessing the internet. There's no selection to filter this particular traffic. This way, even in the remote case of a hacker adding their own site to the whitelist, you would see all such traffic and be able to block it immediately with a single mouse click. All that being said, we are working on ways to reduce the window size needed to accomplish both the continued display of the health monitor and the continued display of the names of everyone to whom your computer is communicating with.

3. We will check slack.com and provide you more feedback. If this turns out to be a bug with the beta release, we will gladly gift you a one year subscription to the commercial release as a thank you. Update: We were able to fully access slack.com and its features via our lab computers. Kindly provide additional details (e.g. which browser you are using, etc.) and we will gladly help get this situation resolved.

Edited: It's important to also note that you can filter content sites since these sites are already represented by displaying the name of the open webpage. To filter content sites from being displayed:
    1. Click on the Hacker Deterrent Icon in the Browser Tray.
    2. Click "Preferences".
    3. Uncheck the following box: "Show Connections".
    4. Click "Save".
    Also, although Two-Factor Browser always shows who your computer is talking to, you can always filter what's being blocked. Kindly see user guide for pictures and instructions.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  22. faircot

faircot Registered Member

I thought I'd give you an update on my previous posts. I did raise a ticket with your support people and I had two simple suggestions from them that didn't help. In the end I solved my problem by manually hacking out every file and registry reference to Hacker Deterrent from my system (over thirty entries that your uninstaller left behind).

However, and I hope you don't mind me saying this in a spirit of helpfulness, I found the programme when it ran to be just gob-smackingly awful. I understand the concept of it (I think!) but the sheer number of items appearing in the panel containing connections was overwhelming and not helped by any indication of whether they were legitimate or not. The role of browser add-ins was confusing as well. After all, programmes like EAM and Adguard manage to monitor and filter accurately in the background. In the end I got fed up with puzzling over this list and failed connections to regular websites and, in the absence of any realistic way of whitelisting the sites I needed, I uninstalled this beta.

I've read all of your explanations in this thread and on your website and I'm left with the distinct feeling that the UI was developed and decided upon by engineers too close to the project. What the prog needs is an independent panel of users to redesign and simplify the UI and write a simple help file with simple concepts. At the moment it looks as though your target audience are corporate tech support people - not your grandma! When regular posters here say that they're confused then it should raise a flag.

Good luck with the development of your beta.

23. askmark

I understand you're in beta, but if you expect the general public to test your product, then you need to have user guides and tutorials in place.

I've tested the latest beta and the setup wizard is definitely a move in the right direction. Well done.

However, I still find the flags, padlocks and globe indicators very confusing. Yes, the user guide explains what they all mean - but it would be useful to have a legend, either on screen or acessible from a right click menu option for when the brain goes fuzzy.

I also suggest you change the green box icon to a shield icon - it is a DNS "shield" afterall.

Overall, after playing with it for a few days, I've got used to the low-rent interface and realise it's all about what it's actually doing behind the scenes which, from looking at your Patent, is obviously very clever.

I like that even though Windows Firewall has allowed an app to access the Internet, HDP stops it communicating with servers which are unrelated to the owner of the app. I also like that I can instantly see what web site an app is trying the connect with - without having to review unwieldy Firewall logs.

I look forward to a cheap deal in the future becasue no matter how good HDP is, I can't justify spending $50 a year on it.

24. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

$50 sounds reasonable for a sales product model. That you buy a license for and run for as long you own the current version.

I think $10-$15 would be right for an annual subscription model which includes regular updates. Developers still have to eat and be paid for making a good product.

Where the future's at is in a subscription model software, particularly for security software that needs updates to stay ahead of the malware arms race.

25. askmark

The subscription is $50 a year. I agree $10-$15 per year would be the right level.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.