Tencent PC Manager

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jack76, Jan 21, 2015.

1. imuade

imuade Registered Member

I used Chrome but I don't know which browsers are supported...

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It does work with Cent.

3. imuade

imuade Registered Member

Yesterday Tencent said there was an update, but the download was sooooo slow that my pc was hanging...
    I'm back to Panda, with Bitdefender Trafficlight as browser protection

4. roger_m

You could have cancelled the download and tried again later, or download the latest installer from the PC Manager website, using a download manager to speed up the download.

When I was using PC Manager, I occasionally had issues when it wanted to download new versions.

5. mekelek

mekelek Registered Member

it's amusing to see people switch security suites like underwear based on things like this..
    Trafficlight is useless, Panda is even more.

6. imuade

imuade Registered Member

And I can see you have given many evidences about your statement :isay:

7. mekelek

https://malwaretips.com/threads/upd...nsion-comparison-malwares-and-phishings.80915
    Panda is just my personal opinion which you won't care about, enjoy your default deny AV with probably the smallest and slowest signature database ever
    i guess this thread is a prime example how it goes from hero to zero after spending some time with it
    https://malwaretips.com/threads/panda-dome-firewall.81563/page-6

8. imuade

imuade Registered Member

I accept everybody's opinion, but it does't mean I'll follow all of them ;)
    I think you can find hundreds of threads about any security SW, half of them saying it's great, the other half saying it's crap :p

9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

You can easily test it yourself, like using phishtank and malcode. I was kind of surprised to see, how useless Yandex, Sophos and Adguard's protections are. :thumbd:

Attached Files:

10. Der.Reisende

Der.Reisende Registered Member

Thank you, confirm that (does not matter if with VPN or not - using F-Secure FreeDome v2.18.5493.0)!
    Have not yet seen it in action, it's good to know that it works without extension, seems the pages where unknown at that time (doesn't matter much with Cent Browser, FS FreeDome has an excellent filter, I have AdGuard and Avira Browsing protection, as well, plus there's the Google Filter).

Seems it's incompatible to M$ Edge though, see:
    Unbenannt.PNG

Right there with @mekelek, Panda (Dome Essentials) is on the weaker side, both signature wise (slow as a snail) and BB wise. The firewall is useless IMO, it does not block anything in default mode. Haven't run it against a big number of malware though.
    Panda not being compatible to ShadowDefender (version v18.05.00, there is a new version, I haven't tried yet), I will test more once I have reset my VM (I did reset my PC lately).
    Tencent isn't up to the big players as well (speaking of 0day malware), however they might fix weaknesses over time. I've bundled it with the free version Windows 10 Firewall Control, which turns the Windows Firewall into default-deny with instant user notification (let alone trusted windows services).

Confirm occassional download lags.
    When I started the download yesterday (from their official English page), it was slow as a snail. I cancelled it and after closing the browser and restarting the download, it was super fast.
    As for the upgrades via TCPM, haven't had issues yet.

11. imuade

imuade Registered Member

By the way, after checking your link I decided to try k9 web protection and I have to say it's really good :)
    So, I replaced Trafficlight with k9 :thumb:

12. mekelek

good choice, now you just gotta look up Panda or do some own testing.
    any.run is perfect to get samples since it's hard nowadays, free to sign up and you can grab samples from other's tests

13. imuade

imuade Registered Member

I may try avast later, if I have time

14. lucd

lucd Registered Member

so its a standalone full AV/AM it doesn't need babysitting from an AV suite and work as second opinion? but because the 0day lags behind other products it would still need hitman pro alert for the anti-exploit ?
    P.S.
    K9 Web Protection no longer exists

15. amico81

amico81 Registered Member

I'm testing Tencent PCM....first impression is very light.
    But it seems curious that, after 5 hours in the system tray there is
    still the message "The virus database is upgrading".. o_O

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  16. roger_m

It's one of the lightest antiviruses there is, but it can be slow to download new signatures. This shouldn't be too much of an issue, as while the initial update will be quite large, further incremental updates to the signatures will be much smaller.

Another issue related to the slow download speeds, is when updating to a new version of PC Manager. Tencent very regularly release new versions and when that happens you are given the option to download (and automatically install) the new version. With the slow connection to their servers, it can take time to download the new versions and sometimes the download of the new version will not complete. When I was using it, new versions were usually released fortnightly. But, updates seems to be less frequent at the moment.

17. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

is it lighter than MBAM?

18. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

"i9-9900K | Samsung 128GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM"

Light would be rather relative, no?

19. Spartan

LOL yeah but I'm also talking about installing it on other computers for friends and family

20. roger_m

I've never used the realtime protection in Malwarebytes, so I can't answer that. All I can say is that it is lighter than the vast majority of antiviruses and it should be extremely light on just about any system you install it on. Since product A vs product B type discussions aren't allowed here, I won't give any specific examples of other products it is comparable to in terms of system impact. But I can certainly can answer questions by PM.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  21. Spartan

thanks bro, I'll give it a spin

22. roger_m

23. Spartan

Just tried it, on a perfectly clean system, it gave me 16 false positives

2019-09-26_005301.png

24. roger_m

To be fair, the items shown in the screenshot have been detected due to being suspicious, rather than being detected as actual threats. But it is overzealous in what it detects as suspicious.

25. lucd

lucd Registered Member

does anybody know if the product uses artificial intelligence ? can't find contact details to ask them and they have no site ?

EDIT : found the official site: https://www.pcmgr-global.com/

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.