Tell me you honest opinion about Nod32

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by WestEnd, Oct 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

I have 4 PCs running different AVs. Using NOD on a high risk gaming machine
    used by a bunch of teens.:) NOD has kept that PC clean. Also, no slow down using NOD's IMON with a 10Mb/1Mb cable connection.

Speed test with IMON:
    TCP/Web100 Network Configuration Tester v5.1.1
    click START to begin
    Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
    running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 0.98Mb/s
    running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 9.42Mb/s
    You are connected to a 100 Mbps Full-Duplex link

Of course YMMV as far as different AVs on different
    platforms.

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Honestly NOD32 has been a great purchase, definitely the best paid for av i've used so far. It runs great, its light and its detection rate is excellent and it keeps me safe online.

3. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

I agree with all of that and add it's never conflicted with any other software on my PC. The support here is top quality too.

4. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Its an excellent AV with 'baby elephant' sized updates.

5. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I'll NOD in agreement with everyone here :)shifty: yuk-yuk-yuk:shifty:) that NOD32 is indeed one of the stallions in the AV business. I have a license to it and have used it on one of my computers in the recent past. I currently am trialing the up and coming F-Prot beta and give a big :thumb: also...:D

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I have to say that I've been very satisfied with Nod for the past couple of years that I've used it.

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I used Nod32 and even ran some of the betas.
    It wasn't a good "fit" for me.
    Some of the things that Nod32 is known for:
    Light resource usage
    Probably the best heuristics.
    Excellent support.

While I don't use Nod32 anymore,I think it is one of the top tier a/v programs.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

:D :D :D :D :D

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I forgot to mention one thing in my previous post. And that is Nod32 does have a really outstanding support team. A model other security companies should take a lesson from. Maybe in future versions the thing that keeps me from useing nod will be remedied :thumb:

bigc

10. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I've been a small business network consultant for many years...I've worked with a LOT of different antivirus packages..have been reseller of a lot of them also.

A couple of years ago I tried out NOD32 when I was looking for better AV products...as I had historically leaned towards Symantec Corp Edition (been a reseller of it since version 5)..but I was getting more and more disappointed with is starting around version 9. I tried a few others...narrowed down to KAV and NOD32. NOD32 got the win...as I have some clients who do heavy duty work...such as architects and CAD users, so they needed lightweight. At that time a couple of years ago..KAV was quite heavy, so NOD32 won out. Yes KAV is much lighter now...I hold these two the top two AV products.

I've found NOD32 to be the most problem free installing AV product I've ever used.

Very powerful and granular management console for their Enterprise version

Lightweight, and great detection rates.

Some people are daunted by the control center....which can seen "confusing" to some people. But..default settings are fine! If you want to go in and adjust things..just leave them..it'll work just fine. It's nice to have lots of options in the control center if you want to roll up your sleeves and really tweak it..which some people like.

11. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I have a license for it, and like it - though I'm using KIS right now. KIS is still a bit more reliable when it comes to detection, but NOD is constantly improving. I'll take a look at what NOD's suite has to offer.

12. colt45allstar

colt45allstar Registered Member

Honestly? I like it alot.

Kaspersky's my antivirus of choice and what I have on my pc. Nod32 is however a close second and what I installed on my roommate's newly networked pc.

The one thing I do like about nod over kaspersky, is the lack of pop ups. Something like the proactive defense in kaspersky will cause a pop up to come up every now and then and while I know how to handle them and even make it to where they no longer pop up, my roommate might not.

For that reason it's a perfect antivirus for his computer. Light and 'for the most part' anyway an install and leave it antivirus

13. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

All indications are it is good AV from my research. I think there are equally good for less money.

Best thing going for it is that it is effective and light on resources. This is from research and not personal experience. That's my 2 cents. ;)

14. muf

muf Registered Member

I have licences for NOD and KAV6. I use KAV6 for realtime and NOD for on-demand. A few months ago it was the other way around. In a few month i may swap them over again. I get bored easily, and just can't help having a good 'ol tinker :) NOD provides A1 protection and I wouldn't have a preference if I had to ditch one of them. As a massive admirer of KAV it says a lot that i put NOD on a par with it.

muf

15. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

I found that NOD32 ran great on my PC. Like mentioned it has great support. I was one that wished the interface was a bit different. When I needed to purchase a new AV this spring, it came down to Avira or NOD. If NOD had not been $20 more I would have went with it.

16. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

NOD32 is a very good program, I really liked it, Very fast and very light, my only problem was anytime I did a system scan for whatever reason resources would spike at about 100 percent because of mim.exe (music match), i have no idea why this would happen (Avira does the same thing also) anyway once i ended the process for mim.exe everything would return to normal and scan very fast.

Great heuristic engine, but from everything i read here it depends too much on the heuristic engine. I would like to try the NOD32 3.0 suite when its released to see how it compares to KIS 6.0 (Kaspersky)

In my opinion however i prefer KIS 6.0 at the moment and KIS is supposed to be getting a new Heuristic search engine by years end.

Either way whatever you choose im sure it will be good. another place to look is AV-comparatives very informative anti-virus testing site. See link:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

17. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I'm pretty happy with NOD32, mainly because it leaves me the hell alone more than any other AM software I've used. I have better things to do than to endlessly configure and otherwise attend some Fisher-Price crapbox.

Some things about NOD32 continue to annoy me, though. And if AH is enabled in AMON, the NOD32 scanning engine (nod32krn.exe) will devour CPU under some circumstances, such as when a new EXE is written to disk.

18. 75160515

75160515 Registered Member

Avast < Nod32<<<Kaspersky<Dr.web

19. nameless

And who could possibly argue with that kind of mathematical proof? :rolleyes:

20. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

What does that mean?

21. nameless

Strictly speaking, it means nothing, but the intention is to point out that in his/her opinion:

* NOD32 is better than "Avast" (which is part of a product name--I suppose we're left to guess)
    * "Kaspersky" (which, again, is merely part of a product name) is much better than NOD32, and...
    * Dr. Web is better than "Kaspersky".

I guess PhBB doesn't support calculus symbols.

22. yeuxbleus

yeuxbleus Registered Member

I would put Dr Web in between Avast and NOD32, but still saying KAV is much better than NOD32 with AntiVir close to KAV.

Honest opinion, however humble it may be: NOD32 is slightly overrated.

Edit: Added comment about AntiVir and deleted last comment.

23. nameless

No flaming from me. There's no point. I like KAV too, but it works like hell on my system, so I won't use it.

Therefore, AFAIC, comparing AM software is generally like comparing apples and tomatoes. And that's why discussions like this very rapidly become tiresome and utterly pointless.

24. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

If I can believe AV Comparatives, then Dr Web is a third tier AV. It is not as good as Avast, and well below Avira, Kaspersky, and NOD. It does not show as well as AVG.

I cannot see why one would choose it when so many better ones are around. Assuming they run well on your system, the higher detection rates place Dr Web way down the list.

NOD is a much better AV.

Best,
    Jerry

25. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

yeuxbleus....Just curious, why do you believe NOD32 is overrated?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.