Teenage Drivers

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by ~*Nat*~, Feb 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

My oldest daughter (will be 18 in July), got her liscence today !! http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/1817/yipee8gd.gif

While I'm very happy...I also know I won't be able to sleep ever again. :doubt:
    (No, I won't tell her that !! :eek: )

She and her sister are both responsible...
    but it's my job to be a bit concerned. http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/42.gif

And No. I'm NOT being overprotective!! http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9468/tapfoot2xj.gif

Anybody else here with teenagers that drive anywhere and everywhere in the lovely neighborhood ? :doubt:

Are you going to a support group ??! :p

2. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

When my Son passed his test......I told him he could now drive as fast and as reckless as he liked and I would make sure he got the best Funeral money could buy...........as long as it wasn't in my car......I also told him if he was going to kill anyone to make sure it was him and not someone elses Son or Daughter because his licence didn't give him that right.....

They do what they do.....worrying doesn't help....we know nothing....whatever they do, they invented.......never be your childs concience, they don't like it.......and if they ever ask your opinion they are looking for confirmation not arguement.......

Cochise,:cool: Driven to distraction in Detroit...

3. ~*Nat*~

4. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

you have my very best wishes for not to many sleepless nights lol:D --honestly they will be fine--and you too after a few years:D

5. ~*Nat*~

I'm looking forward to Dreamy nights...in a few years ... :D :D :D

Thanks Rita! :D

6. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

I remember when I learned to ride a motorcycle--mom worried so much she drove me crazy ,so being a good kid of 25 :D ,I let it go for a few years lol did learn though and didnt tell her--hope your not the worrier mom was-but I guess thats what moms do best huh:D Your daughter will be fine though--it's you I worry about lol lol lol

7. ~*Nat*~

YOU rode a motorcycle !!! :eek:

[​IMG] Me too ~ as a passenger! ;) :cool:

It was great fun. And yes...my mom was worried about me too. It comes with the territory I suppose. :D

Honest...I'm not the worrier kind. :ninja:

I WILL be FINE !!

http://bestsmileys.com/medical/7.gif

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  8. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

oh geeeez you don't want to know how I drove in my teens - I managed to get my folks to buy me a 1989 3/4 ton Chevy crew cab truck with a 454 engine and 4:10 differential after I wrecked my '84 Caprice with the 305ci v8 hehe... I also did the motorcycle thing till I got ran over on it... But I used the settlement money to get my master's degree instead of another bike so it is very true that you never know from whence good luck might spring.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  9. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

what a truck!what happened to it?one of my first cars was an olds-a big ole black one,I think it had a 440 engine and it would fly but only got about 7 mpg and someone before me had bored the pistons out to make it faster lol.They dont make cars like they used to!I had a 65 mustang also I drove for about 13 years--wore it completly out even the fly wheel was cracked and rattling on it,the floor boards were eaten out with all the salt used on the roads here.I loved that old car--sold it for a $1,000 in 85 even though it was worn completly out:D someone who had the money to restore it bought it.I dont want to drive a motorcycle again,I didnt wreck one,but did have a bad wreck on a dirt bike and figure I could do the same on a motorcycle lol so I only want to be a passenger from now on!It is true like you said you never know from where good luck might spring!!especially when,like you--you use your head:D Congrats on a good decision!!

10. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Yeah my truck got 5-7 mpg in the city with me driving. What happened to it was I went off to college and my folks didn;t let me take it - parking was at a premium in the university and it was also 205 miles or so from home so it would have cost too much to take and although I was upset then I must admit I would never have been able to park it there - generally I had to use two spaces - not next to each other but one for the front half and one for tha back - in order to be able to get back out of a parking lot.

The reason I was so upset (at the time) about not getting to take it was this... My sister got a new (93) Chevrolet Beretta when she went off to college... (she should have picked the Firebird) and at the time my folks said I would get a new car on my way to college... However, during bargaining to get that enormous truck, I traded off my new car at college for the more expensive truck at the time that I was sure I would love to take to the university. My mother used it to haul donated food to the food bank at church some and my father drove it to work for a little while then they sold it to a small landscaping company.

Anyway I could never be too upset when I headed off to the university because although I had to leave my truck home my mother gave me her '91 Plymouth Laser RS which was totally decked out and had less than 30k miles on it. I rolled that one over and that was the end of that :rolleyes:

Anyway a funny thing about atht truck is a very little old lady from out church we all lvoed very much who wound up just absolutely loving to climb up into it with my mother to haul the food for the church. she was absolutely tiny and actually moved to Laredo in a covered wagon pulled by horses when she was very young. You have to get the image of this truck with its big chrome brushbuster bar and big chrome headache rack, bedrunner bars and I had put headers and a 3 inch pipe on the thing. I miss it now thinking about it lol...

But yeah... seems you can almost never get a car like those ones again.

11. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Hey,

I had a 2nd hand '73 Chevy 4 sp Crew Cab w/a 350. Before it rusted away into oblivion I would load it up w/60 lg bales of hay and tow a trailer w/another 120 bales. It didn't even wimper. It was also great for hauling 20+ kids to Little League games. It had dual 20 gal gas tanks that were very painful to keep full. Wifey loved to take it grocery shopping!!

12. ~*Nat*~

Well I'm sure glad you're not my son, Detox!!

I probably would have lost all my hair in a snap, before it had a chance to turn greyish. :rolleyes:

Sure glad you were able to use your head, after this. ;)

13. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

yeah, brings back memories, fast cars...

My first 'big' car was the HQ Holden GTS Monaro Coupe V8 .

This is the exact same type, except it was a dark metallic green.

memories, lol.... now I worry about my 2 daughters also like normal parents, and dare not tell them what I got up to... do as I say, not as I did, :gack:

PS, I don't know whose car / place this is, I just searched for the make year model car and got it from there, ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  14. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

the donk.... once again where you see yellow was the green.

This motor looks so similar to what I had it's erie. I had work done on the motor, etc. etc. you know the drill. young guy and wanted it fast....

the 4 barrell Holly carbie, it too had been worked over.

funny thing though, if I drove steady, only the 2 barrells would be working and could get close to 30mpg, and once I went to another town and got there on just half a tank, driving very steady, and then month later flogged down the highway over 100mph most of the way, and bloody ran out of fuel 20 miles from the same town, rolf....

oh well, enough nostalgia.

Attached Files:

15. ~*Nat*~

That is a sexy looking car there, you..you Devil you!! :cool: ;)

If it was mine, I'd have it painted in shiny black though. :D

Guys like to dream about their past time with their first loves (cars). :D

16. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Well you know what they say Natski......."A womans only a woman but you can do things with cars"........:D :D

Cochise,:cool: Rodding in Rhodesia..

17. ~*Nat*~

Well...I'm a cross between a female and a car. http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/2128/rolleyessmile3ge.gif

Now what ya gonna say...hmmmmmmmm ?? :D

Crossdressing in Chinatown, chic Nat :-* :cool:

18. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Oh Boy!! I was going to say sumpin about YUGOs but a little voice outta nowhere said "shut up Eddie"

Silent in Salena, Sneaky ed

19. ~*Nat*~

Hey! I may be from europe...but I'm a well put-together hot/black mustang here in the USA !

Speaking up for herself in Spain, truthful Nat :ninja:

20. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Hey Nuttie, I didn't say nuttin!! Sides...I had me a '64 Fastback w/hurst 4sp 289cu in. It was the only car in the showroom cause there was a strike goin on. Loved that one!!

Now shiftless in Sheboygan, Shifty ed

21. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

As a Brit.....my dream car has always been the '66 Convertible Mustang.....the small car with big ideas.........I just have to go and wipe the slaver off my chin......:D :D

Cochise,:cool: Dreamin' on in Droolsville....

PS. I was actually the 38th Member of the British Hot-rod Association way back when......

Cochise,:cool: Still Drivin' in my Dreams.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.