Technology of Multi-Snapshot

Discussion in 'Returnil Betas' started by Werderforever, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi

Just to add my ten pennyworth.

I would welcome a Returnil Multi Snapshot as a stand alone product.

One of the reasons I do NOT use Returnil now is that it is stuffed with features that I do not regard as core.

Keep it simple, or at least give people the option of paying for what they install.

Terry

2. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Given what is available in the technology demonstrator RB Rx still has some functional advantages that it would be good if any finished & standalone product included...like the ability to rollback from outside Windows, ie, pre OS load, etc. So it will be very interesting to see what any finished product, if there is one, has in its repetoire.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  3. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Seems like an awesome program. Why is this not garnering more interest o_O

4. Baldrick

I suspect that this is due to the fact that it is just a technology demonstrator and not really being pushed by Returnil. I have sent in some suggestions & observations based on tests but have had no response. I therefore presume that Returnil are biding their time before (i) going no further with this, or (ii) including it in one of the mainstream products...but I have to say that this is just conjecture on my behalf.

Personally I believe that the functionality has merit as a replacement or alternative for the likes of EAZ-Fix and RB Rx but at in its 'technology demonstrator' format it is not really usuable for that...for a number of reasons...IMHO.

Hopefully Returnil will push forward with it but who knows. o_O

5. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

And we got those suggestions which we thank you for submitting. I can't really go into great detail, but there is something on the way. Just give us some time to get the initial development completed and the bugs worked out.

I plan to start looking for private beta testers over the next couple of months for this project and another that I have not talked about yet so please keep your eyes open ;)

Mike

6. Baldrick

Hi Coldmoon

Thanks for the responses. And BTW the reference to no feedback was not meant as snipe at Returnil or anyone else...so apologies if it came across as such...as that was not at all the intent.

Glad to hear that there is something afoot in the not too distant future. Will certanly keep my eyes open.

Regards

Balders

7. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Great news - thanks for the info guys :thumb:

8. Alexhousek

Alexhousek Registered Member

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I've only recently began researching "rollback" software. I've read most of the recent threads on here including discussions about Rollback RX, Shadow Defender, RVS, CTM, and many others.

My question is this--Can RMSE be used as a tool for testing out new software? I've downloaded and am going to install Sandboxie, but this isn't really useful for testing out new software. I'm not comfortable with virtualization software (i.e. VirtualBox, VMWare) as it sounds very complicated. Or, am I better off buying Shadow Defender?

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Definitely not Shadow Defender, which doesn't work for reboot installs.

10. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

RMSE would work fine for testing of new software. It is very easy to take a snapshot & also very easy to rollback .. Sbie could easily work in combination & would supply protection for you when ou are browsing.

11. Alexhousek

Alexhousek Registered Member

I recognize the value of SBIE for browsing. However, my understanding is that it is not all that useful for testing out new software. Is that accurate?

12. Baldrick

Just bear in mind that to restore the snapshot you have to be able to bootinto Windows as there is not yet a pre Windows load option to initiate the restore (unlike RB Rx for instance).

Also, you need to make the snapshot storage area large enough otherwise you will end up finding that you have to delete snapshots...bit of course that depends on how far back you to be able to roll back to. For a install software, test it fairly quickly, make a decision fairly quickly as to whether to keep or not, etc. you should be fine.

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It's adequate if the software doesn't install drivers or require a reboot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.