Technology Can Make Lawful Surveillance Both Open and Effective

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, Aug 18, 2014.

1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Technology Can Make Lawful Surveillance Both Open and Effective.

-- Tom

2. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Thanks Tom, I'd subscribe to a scheme where warranted intercepts happened without the ability for dragnet surveillance to happen. The paper doesn't really address the problems of data storage and retention (it says rightly this is a different issue, which is true, but I happen to think it's a huge problem - and vulnerability). In addition, there's the issue of how do they target people and their associates. Unfortunately, there's quite a lot of evidence that this is done on an unreasonable basis, at least at times.

The paper is at

Catching Bandits and only bandits - dedis.cs.yale.edu/dissent/papers/bandits.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2014
  3. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

Yup I'm all for surveillance that prevents physical harm (theft rape murder terrorism) and even some others but when they store or use that data for other things which is bound to happen once they have it my issues start. (official or not, let's face it, people have a track record of breaking the rules.)

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.