Tech Companies Exploit the Way We Undervalue Privacy

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I think most people don't mind giving away personal information like what they did for the day because they are given a service for it and it means literally nothing. The article asks "What will this information be worth in a few years time" and I think for most people it is a resounding "absolutely nothing."

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, you know, you think it won't be, until a future employer Googles you, checks your Twitter/Facebook and so on. Making a comment on homosexuality, immigration, religion either at a public function, on a Facebook post, even to a co-worker, can all come back to you. Going to certain places, that one night you got a wee too tipsy and fun was had by all with photos and comments included. That's the kind of place we live in now, a personal opinion voiced in the wrong place and/or doing something someone doesn't approve of, is enough to get you fired, not hired, sued, all of that. Yes, I'm aware that this post is somewhat political, but it is relevant to the discussion, simply because people are very much using these social networks to dig up dirt on good and bad people alike.

What you say may mean nothing to you, but it may mean a lot to others. You also still have the bad guys playing Sherlock Holmes with your information. There is no such thing as irrelevant and innocent data now. Tech companies know this too, and they will use it to their advantage in the form of tracking you and your activities for their bottom line.

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

The fact that data-mining companies (and there are a few), know about every purchase you make - should make folks get the willys methinks. The newer so-called social software (Facebook, etc) is just another step in the progression of defaulting privacy rights IMHO.

-- Tom

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

They don't think about it. Somehow or another, the rules of life don't apply online. What they wouldn't dare say outside their door, they will behind a computer, information they wouldn't give to their neighbor is fair game for Facebook. Why not? After all, it's just their friends they're talking to, right? Mark Zuckerburg isn't paying any attention, there's no massive company behind their Facebook wall sharing anything with anyone outside the company. Wrong.

When people see Google, they see search, and they see maps. They don't see the company itself. I'm safe, it's just an innocent search for clubs in my area. It's a simple, innocent look at Wikipedia on weapons. No, it's not. Nobody can get it through their head that the Internet was made for sharing information, for collecting it. When you combine the power of data, with the political climate of the world, and sprinkle in a healthy dose of good old fashioned money making, the Internet becomes not only an absolutely astounding and beautiful weapon, it becomes the ultimate in surveillance.

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It's worth the free price for most people, especially since they don't necessarily require your real information.

7. x942

x942 Guest

And that's where privacy controls come in. No one will dig anything up on me. Google plus is private and I just use it to follow people, Twitter I don't post on just watch discussions on hashtags (politics mostly), Facebook you can't even search for me unless you are a friend of a friend and even than all you can do is message or ask me to add you. I know everyone on my list and don't over share. Even if I did no one would be able to see outside of my friends.

8. Dude111

Dude111 Registered Member

Yes isnt it sickening bud?

I value my privacy 1000000000%,i am not on any of these stupid social networking sites,etc..........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.