TDS software line discontinued

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Wayne - DiamondCS, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myguess

myguess Guest

Why should they collaborate? I would think that a good healthy competition between different anti-malware vendors would be better, and would produce a better product on all sides, with the consumer reaping the rewards. But I have little doubt DCS would come out on top again. :)

But if DCS is going to put out a super new anti-malware product that would compliment PG, I would most definitely purchase it over anything put out by those other less well known, and less respected companies, with absolutely no or very little track record. ;)

2. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Well I`ll continue to buy and support DCS. They`re good at what they do...making security software.

3. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

Well, it was inevitable. There is no way a TDS 4 could compete openly with products like KAV. I have stated in other threads that I only ever needed to use TDS 3 once and have never had any need for it since then.

I have TDS 3 but also Process Guard, Port Explorer, Crypto Suite and Wormguard.

The only thing I would like that I could use would be Regdefend

I bought ALL DCS products so I'm very disappointed not being offered something like RegDefend because I have everything else.

I would be very happy if some arrangement could be made and would promise to continue to support DCS sofware but as it stands now I'm depressed and disappointed but maybe DCS has some heart and will cheer me up a bit - after all I waited 2 years for TDS 4 and all for nothing!!

Dave

4. A884126

A884126 Registered Member

Re: What about the technology?

As a recent customer who bought TDS & WG & PG I am also frustrated that I will not get an updated version (this is a lot of money for a home user). I guess you thought about it since a while and you were still selling your program at that time.
    I guess people who just bought a Rover felt the same way looking for spare parts.
    I really hope that WG will not follow the same way...

I only hope you guys will make a commercial gesture for those who just bought your soft and already have PG or PE. How do we call it? Loyalty program?

Anyway I whish you good luck and please think about your new business model for the next few years.

5. Starrob

Starrob Registered Member

I know many say they will continue to buy and support DCS no matter what. Some say that they do not care to purchase from a smaller outfit that does not have a track record yet for success......but what if a larger player got involved and put out superior software?

I just ran across a comment today from a guy that I read a lot that analyzes both mutual funds and stocks rather sucessfully. Here is a quote from him that I found here http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,105148,00.html :

"Jonas Max Ferris, MAXfunds.com:There’s a bull market in computer viruses. Here’s what the deal is: the only reason why Microsoft (MSFT) hasn’t wiped out this business is because if they did, by giving away free virus things, the regulators would be all over them. Google (GOOG) can wipe them out. They won’t have regulatory issues. If you look at how Google has executed things like their desktop search, it’s just a matter of time before they get into these kinds of virus and security issues, and really rub out the companies that are trying to live off these recurring monthly revenue from virus stuff."

I like to look for interesting things that might possibly happen in the future. Sometimes my interest is for investment. Other times it is for my personal security (as I travel to many of the places that make the nightly news) and other times, it concerns my computer security.

That comment by Jonas Ferris caught my eye because it is just the sort of "outside the box" thing that Google would do and unlike companies that most people would consider the "Big Boys", this company has proven it can really execute, innovate and dominate in ways that Microsoft can no longer do.

A lot of people already got the Google pop-up blocker. What if google bought out one of these small time operators that have interesting technology and branded it the Google Anti-malware defense system. If they execute on that like they do everything else many bigger players such as Symantec would have a difficult time surviving, let alone the smaller players such as DCS.....but then again DCS might be one of the smaller type players a Google might be interested in.

Don't mind me....I like engaging in interesting conspiracy theories occasionally. Some of my theories have a low probability of happening, although this theory I consider in the realm of possibility.

Starrob

6. A884126

A884126 Registered Member

7. trock

trock Registered Member

May I ask, how long will it take to get a licensed copy of PG after I sent in my details?

Thank you.

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

You do realize DiamondCS and RegDefend\Ghost Security are not of the same Company :doubt:

or an under the radar company like InterActiveCorp and it's AskJeeves\Teoma search....with the likes of Barry Diller behind it. Lack of a better word....this Game is huge....and money talks.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2005
  9. gre87y

gre87y Registered Member

I would like the know this also. At least confirm you recieved my e-mail and everything was in order or not.

10. 0-0

0-0 Guest

You should get it Monday (Perth time) then

11. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

DCS do not work weekends as a rule, so you may have to wait until Monday for a reply.

I guess that DCS will email all recent purchasers (a year or two?) first with an offer when things are ironed out.

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Not been online due to many circumstances, seeing this, comes as a shock. For the moment i feel jobless, homeless. As you can read in my "thankyou" thread (light blue link in my sig) i am with DiamondCS since they picked me up in 1999 all shivering, hacked and destructed computer and helped me getting where i am now.
    So these almost 6 years, lots of support, education, growth, beta-testing, joy with the software, the users, the company, in the forums, clean system, this is what i see looking back.

Looking at the plans Wayne described longer ago, the ActiveGuard, a TDS cut in pieces into other products, whatever ........ As Wayne described lot of technology developed for TDS-4 is put in other products we are using already, so even though our future security suite will no longer have the name of TDS Pro on top, let's be confident our computer security and support will be in the good hands it has always been.

Thank you Wayne, Gavin and others of the team, Pilli --- looking forward to new developments.
    Wishing you good luck and joy in the next stages.

13. Dieter Bressem

Dieter Bressem Registered Member

This is my comment:
    When I read the headline first I was shocked, thinking that DCS will be sold to a "big player" like SYMANTEC or McAfee.
    Maybe this will be the next step ?
    Using TDS (and the other products) since many years I have to say that I always have been satisfied with the products, the support and the help of the "TDS-family" in the official forum and here, no Dummies, most of them really experts or at least experienced users.
    I recommended their products to many people and I am sure that the anger is now over me. That's why I understand the frustration of people having bought TDS just a few month ago (many of them the whole suite).
    Ok, **** happens. Keep on your good work, we will wait for the release of another outstandig product.
    BTW I miss the comment of Dallen ??

Dieter

14. controler

controler Guest

BoClean is also bound by the government contracts not to touch the kernel.
    Unless Kevin can keep up with rootkits without touching the kernel, why would it be safe to use BoClean? The other competition is NOT bound by the kernel.

Ther is only a very few softwares I have paid for over the years, because of just using beta software or getting a free lic for all my hard work testing. Here is the list. Boclean, the action pac (TDS-3, Wormguard & PE ) Regdefend, Spysweeper & GhostSurf.
    NOD & KAv won't go away because they DO have you pay by the years for DEFS.

Personaly, I requested another LIC for PG to use on my laptop.

One thing you should remember about Boclean is their LIC is good for your desktop & laptop.

I should appoligise for being one of those single users that have contacted Kevin but if I remember correct, most of my e-mails were with reguard to conflicts with other software and would hope a developer would want to know this type info.
    Getting an e-mail from Kevin was like getting a new exciting book to read LOL
    Always included more info then needed. I always learn something new from Kevins e-mails and posts.
    Maybe we should make a deal with Kevin to not use our PC's so he can go to
    someplace nice to just kick back and drink bloody mary's all day in the warm sun. Wait!!!!!!!!!!! I need to do that to.
    I dough after 4 years he would go to work for the BIG money. He has too many morals for that.

I am sure DSC will provide some pretty cool new programs.
    Look at PG. DO you really need anything else if used correctly?
    Yes it could be made a bit bmore non-techi friendly.
    We will see how it all plays out.

I know this might not be a nice thing to say, but I have heard some of the AV companies also make trojans. Wher is your loyalty at? that is the big question people. Some may just say, I am sticking with american made, ya just never know.

controler

15. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Don't worry, Dieter. He's still typing, it wil be long post. ;) :D

16. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Good post controler.

17. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

and we have plenty of room for it :ninja: :blink:

18. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Among the many users are still many using win98, me, 95, who can use TDS and Port Explorer, WormGuard and not ProcessGuard. I hope there will be a good AT protection and scanner (sorry Pilli, i know you don't like scanners, but sometimes we really must use them...) for the win98 family too.

19. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

I will play the devil's advocate..........Jason is gone :(

20. Starrob

Starrob Registered Member

It is my feeling that "Symantec" and "McAfee" are the weaker players. It will probably be Google or InterActiveCorp (The real big boys) that will make the earth-shattering moves.

Starrob

21. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi RainWalker, We don't need no devils advocate here, the malware writers do that job well enough.
    All small developers struggle to make a few bob, let's not make it harder :) Jason has his own company now and I am sure that was not an easy option to take.

Pilli

22. Optimist

Optimist Registered Member

A new conspiracy theory is born. :D

23. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

No need for conspiracy.
    After the weekend we'll hear more, soon enough.
    Read between the lines in the WormGuard thread too.

Whatever will be the new product(s), i'm waiting to betatest and support as soon as possible.
    At the moment i'm looking for a job as well, btw so this is a bit of a sad coincidence.

24. controler

controler Guest

I put my faith & trust in those with morals. Just because one has morals doesn't mean they sleep any better. Those without morals sleep just as well.
    As mentioned, there as many great programmers working for the other side as the right side, if not more.

What drives the company? Is it because they are actualy looking out for their fellow man or is it greed?

Do they make a product for the average joe or one directed at the more advanced? I always say, make it for the average joe as best as you can.

When submitting features or funtions, ALWAYS look at how the home user will react. or have the option like most do now to go to advanced or simple mode.

One of the items those here stress in recommending software IS good support. Sorry for that one.

I do like some of the newer security sweets. I am going to bite my tounge today and say I have been using Mcaffes new sweet & so far I like it.
    I have never been able to say that before.

I like KAV's new sweet. Anytime you have full integration , things just run smoother. That is not saying just because they have the best AV, they will have the best firewall.

Two of the easiest home user friendly programs today are still Look & Stop & Boclean.

Kevin? Get ahold of Fredric & form an all new program with the newest kernel mode stuff & L&S. Offer it to the corporate users & let the government keep using the current BoClean. :D
    It would be sure to be a hit.

controler

25. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Maybe microsoft's renaming Longhorn (took that looooooooooong too!!) to Windows Vista caused all this? TDVista? ATVista?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.