TDS Not Responding

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Pamela, Nov 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pamela

Pamela Guest

I just downloaded this software for trial and it starts, but I let it run overnight and in the morning it was still at same spot and when I did a control Alt Delete, it said TDS (not responding).

I'm trying it out because I'm sure I don't have a virus, but my computer has something gone wrong and I was told it was possibly a Trojan. It's exceedingly slow all of a sudden and I've done all the usual maintenance (delete temp files, scan disk, defrag). The hard disk seems to be working when it shouldn't and I was hoping maybe this was the answer.

Any thoughts or ideas about what I can do?

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Pamela, welcome to the forum!
    How far was TDS when you found it not responding?
    Did it get through all the initial startup scans or was it hanging there already?
    After first install and start, it should do several scans and in the end CRC checks and after that it says Finished.
    BTW: did you also after the install go back to the TDS site for the latest database update?
    http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/radius.td3
    Put that in the TDS directory overwriting the other.
    (re)start TDS.
    Try to give TDS as much room as possible with closing every unnecessary other program and window when you start it, certainly because your system is behaving strange at the moment.
    You might like to get Port Explorer as well (free trial) and you can see if there are any suspicious connections (default in red characters as hidden processes) and which applications they're using.
    Such things you can kill.
    Not 100% about the restrictions with the trial version of PE, if you can't kill it with that you can at least look where you're connected to and that can be valuable info to note down or save.
    With TDS > System Analysis > Process List you can kill the running process (and investigate more about it, when it was created or modified on your system etc) and in the same place in the Autostart Explorer you can look if there is an autostart key for it to be deleted, and look also in the other tabs for startup links etc.

If your system is slow and all memory occupied by "something" as you say, it would be good to do a Full system Scan as quick as possible, maybe you like to be off line during that and have everything else closed so it has all the necessary room for it.
    In case of alerts:
    if not the name of a nasty is mentioned for sure but things like "possible" "suspicious" or such submit the file to submit@diamondcs.com.au if possible zipped.
    After that you might like to keep only a zipped version of it for the moment on your system so it can't run.
    With that you can find out if your system is back to normal and still functions ok without missing files.

Might be part of the system that TDS during it's initial start wants to be kept on top till finished, if not the "not responding" in the task manager. Have seen it a few times, but closing and restarting TDS and some patience solved it each time till now.
    There have not been any messages about missing files or other errors? If so, the download page with required system files can add to that solution.
    Which windows version are you using?

3. nameless

nameless Registered Member

If you even suspect a trojan, I'd say FIRST kill the Internet connection. Then, using a different computer, download the latest database update (it will fit on a floppy, even uncompressed). Drop the updated RADIUS.TD3 file in the TDS-3 installation directory. Make sure you are logged in as a member of the Administrators group when scanning with TDS-3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.