TDS-4 Wishlist ? and Feature Request

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Defenestration, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TylerGred

TylerGred Registered Member

I'd just like to be able to exlude it by right clicking without having to go through the exclusion list...

I guess I'm lazy...

Also, why can you not exclude a fileo_O

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

I cannot answer all your questions about this; that's up to DCS.

Anyway, we always have to keep in mind that excluding has to been done in some secure way: you don't want that some malware suddenly puts itself in your exclusion list...

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

another wishlist, wormguard to be integrated into or combined with TDS. why should wormguard be a seperate product?

4. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

I agree . That would be really nice !

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Quotes from the TDS-3 Helpfile :

Generics: Anti-worm

The anti-worm generic detection system in TDS-3 was ported over from the WormGuard 2.x engine (http://wormguard.diamondcs.com.au). However instead of providing an analytical and comprehensive report on the detected files that WormGuard provides, TDS-3 will simply provide its findings based on the file being highly dangerous or being of a low risk.

TDS-3 does not stop the execution of these files even with 'Execution Protection' enabled - this is what WormGuard is for, however it will provide exactly the same detection when scanning for files on your system as WormGuard does when these files are executed. Files detected with Anti-Worm generic detection enabled should be analysed manually in notepad or other text editor.

6. WSFuser

i guess then wut i want is for TDS to stop the execution of worms like wormguard or at least have that option available. and if theres any improvements, TDS should use the wormguard 3.x engine.

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

*Irrelevant postings have been removed*

Please get back On Topic again, which is a wishlist for TDS-4....as was asked by a Forum Mod....in this post.

Regards,
    Bubba

8. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

We definitely need some way to exclude single files rather than the whole folder

9. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

1. Removal of AgentSvr.exe dependency (i.e. agentsvr.exe is not started by TDS, when all talk/chatty/hello features are turned off)

2. An interface overhaul (so that it actually complies with Window GUI guidelines and does not look like it was designed by a 13-year old script kiddie :)

3. Fix the automatic update for chrissakes. It breaks down by itself and has to be manually fixed (download server lists, download radius, whatnot). It's not automatic, if it has to be fixed manually every now and then.

4. Release in 2005, pretty please :)

Due to the aforementioned issues I'm no longer using TDS-3 and will not upgrade or buy more DiamondCS products, unless at least the major problems (i.e. autoupdate) are fixed for good.

10. ShunterAlhena

ShunterAlhena Registered Member

Halcyon, I second every point. Especially the 2nd one.
    I didn't buy TDS-3 yet (neither am I planning), but I did evaluate it for a month or so. It's services might be professional, but a little bells&whistles don't hurt sometimes IMHO :)

11. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there,
    About the Agentsvr.exe, we had several discussions threads, including with yourself Halcyon, and you can see in the last of this series how you can disable it forgood
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=317620&highlight=agentsvr.exe#post317620
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=228333&highlight=agentsvr.exe#post228333
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=203201&highlight=agentsvr.exe#post203201
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=160707&highlight=agentsvr.exe#post160707
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=118838&highlight=agentsvr.exe#post118838

You do know it's part of windows XP, and if you disable it several parts of windows/office might not work properly anymore.

The TDS GUI has never been something primitive for me, if that is what you mean, it just suits the environment it is fighting. The product is rather popular also in that specific environment as well as it does remind people it can be nasty there.
    But let's see what DiamondCS will come up with in a next version. You could start your own skins and add those?
    If you look in the SS3 scripts environment in the TDS Private forum you can see how you can make changes to the layout, other colored lines, etc.

Till now i have maybe two or three times a year an update is working a few hours later, because i am too early or other things and experience learns once support is aware it's fixed in none.

I am very happy with TDS-3 as it's still one of the strongest protections/ detections and largest database, use it together with the other products and one is hammered rather tight.

Funny, some people want more bells and whistles and others say there are far to many already. Ai ai, making all users happy, just create three or four versions of TDS or separate extra's, whatever for those who want the network utilities, etc. It's exactly those extra's which make TDS a real security SUITE, not just a real fine scanner.

And you know, registered TDS-3 operators get an upgrade all free, with the rising prices i would know what i would do if i hadn't registered my copy yet years ago.

12. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I agree! As Jooske pointed out, some parts of XP or Office need it, but if you don't use these parts then TDS will cause AgentSvr to load. I don't like bloat, and the loading of this unnecessary process is bloat when it's not required.

I'd also like to voice my support for halycon's other points. These should be addressed for TDS-4.

I would also like to see a beta for TDS released soon. Why... ? Well, if a product endures too much development without exposure (and not just beta tester exposure) then user requirements are only discovered at the latest stages (too late to make the final release, which in turn results in extra work for the 4.1 release). I would hope that the main engine for TDS-4 is finished/finalised, and so would hope that DiamondCS would release a beta version soon to gauge non-beta-testers opinions, before it's too late to make a difference.

Without this feedback, I would put money on the final TDS-4 release being a bit of an anti-climax. I've seen it before, and it will happen again. There's nothing quite like a quick release cycle, once a product goes into the final stages, to polish a product.

With an enthusiastic community who aren't afraid of using beta software, DCS should be utilising that to the full, much like Kaspersky have done with there technological prototype of KIS 2006. Kaspersky have received a lot of feedback that they otherwise wouldn't have, and also discovered a serious bug which otherwise wouldn't have.

What do you say DCS ? When do we get a beta ? :D

13. halcyon

Jooske,

AgentSvr.exe dependency in TDS-3 is not a Windows problem, it's a TDS-3 issue.

AgentSvr.exe cannot be renamed/removed/uninstalled from Windows XP system, as you've stated correctly. I have asked this from Microsoft and it CANNOT be removed (or system may malfunction).

However, it only starts if programs ASK for it's services. TDS-3 always asks for it's services, EVEN when EVERYTHING related to speech/greet functions in TDS-3 is turned OFF.

Now, this is just SILLY behaviour.

Immediately when I quite TDS-3, AgentSvr.exe also quits by itself, because no other software on my system requests it.

BTW, I am even able to configure Office 2000 so that it does not start Agentsvr.exe and use any extra resources due to that. And that's an MS app, for chrissakes :)

Why can't I configure TDS-3 like that?

Because the developers have so far refused to fix this and claim memory usage figures (for Agentsvr.exe) on THEIR computer and ignore requests and comments from registered users ("it's not a problem, live with it").

That's quite sad, imho (writing as a registered user and an ex-tds3 advocate).

14. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You have not read the links i posted above nor threads they link to, like this one
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=19235

BTW on many people's requests Microsoft is working more on the speech/msagent technology again and it will be used even more in all their products. You could stop using Microsoft, and not blaming TDS-3 any further for using Microsoft technology.
    http://research.microsoft.com/srg/whisperid.aspx (among others) where you can see the technology can be used for additional security reasons.
    TDS has always been many steps ahead.
    There are scripts written for TDS to open other applications etc and interact with the computer on voice command (see among others in my CokeMachine project as a start for that).

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
  15. zacksam

zacksam Registered Member

As systems often get inoperable and do not boot anymore i would highly recommend to be able to run TDS-4 from external media like BartPE to clean them from within a clean system. I made a working plugin for TDS-3 that was
    a big timesaver in many cases. I use it to scan for maleware files as registry scanning does not work at the moment.
    That has to be done when booting back to the host OS.
    So it would be helpfull if TDS-4 would also scan the host registry to fix autorun entries residing there (there are tools available to redirect the host registry residing on the HDD to the BartPE registry)

16. halcyon

No, in fact it is you Jooske, my dear, who has not understood and read what I write :)

The above message links to a way of removing Agentsvr.exe by renaming it. This can mess up the system (ask Microsoft or any Agent Service programmer worth their salt. I have asked).

Also, you fail to understand that Agentsvr, even if it's on the disk, does not get started unless a program requests for it.

TDS-3 requests for it and there is no way to disable it without compromising the system.

Now, this is just silly, because speech features surely aren't a way to make TDS-3 or any system running it any more secure.

But I rest my case. I'm tired of fighting the TDS-3 apologists, who fail to accept any criticism as relevant and think there's nothing wrong with the software.

Here's another lost customer, bye-bye...

Hope you do better in the future...

17. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Next time installing XP do it without the agentsrv stuff; what is not installed can't be started and no system demands to install it before it lets you go on.
    In autostart disable it,
    in taskmanager have it killed, whatever.
    Don't run the spchapi and all that.
    We're talking about 256KB RAM / 524KB VM and you can kill it without any problem.

18. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Built-in support for scheduling so scans can be automatically started on regular days. It should also be possible to set the scan settings for each job. Check out the O&O Defrag Pro 8 scheduler for ideas.

19. WSFuser

will TDS-4 be compatible with windows xp x64 edition?

20. ShunterAlhena

ShunterAlhena Registered Member

[sarcasm]
    As it will be released when 32bit processors are long obsolete, it surely will be compatible :)
    [/sarcasm] /me now goes back to writing more constructive posts...

21. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

I request that RAM usage be reduced. For some reason, TDS3 with execution protection surges to over 60mb RAM and sticks there, creating quite a drag.

22. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

is there anyway that when you do a text file save that instead of it automatically calling it scandump.txt and overwriting previous , you can have the option to save as and call it waht you want and save where you want

that will definitley make it much easier or those of us that fix other systems

23. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Derek,

Not quite sure whether I understand you right, but I myself always rename a scandump.txt (if I make one) to for example:
    scandump_2005_04_27_1.txt

But I agree, it would be nice if a next version of TDS would automatically put date and time into the name of a scandump ;)

24. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

Hi fan

Yes after I have done it I do rename, but I frequently advise users to install & use TDS and run a scan and send me a copy of scandump & then to run tds a second time after they have cleaned up (hopefully) and a second scandump is needed to check and many of them forget to rename so it is overwritten

25. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Can we please stay on topic here in line with thread title.
    As has been stated TDS4 will be released when it is ready.
    This wish list is about feature requests and not release speculation.

Than you. Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.