TDS-4 Wishlist ? and Feature Request

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Defenestration, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Will the TDS-4 Guard be compatible with BoClean? meaning would it be possible to have both of them as resident has layered protection or are we gonna be force to choose between TDS-4 Guard or Boclean has resident scan?

thanks,
    Atomas31

2. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Unfortunately, for me, a 26.4kbps dialup. I'm at the extreme end of the phone line in farmland, no chance of cable or phoneline broadband. I'd have to signup for satellite service to get anything better. And I'm sure that I'm not the only one with "snail-like" service. So, incremental updates would be very good for us less fortunate folks. I remember the "old days" when DCS broke the 10,000 primaries mark and downloads were relatively quick at 2 minutes, but now I plan to download when I can go and make a coffee or such. Water under the bridge? Maybe, but I've been quiet about the logn development time, I bought PE to provide financial support, I bought PG because it's excellent and I understand that DCS wants TDS-4 to be excellent too. But I would like Incremental Updates now, and with them, I'd wait patiently and quietly for -4, no matter how long it takes. And IMHO, it would be relatively easy and quick to supply. But maybe not. But maybe it would. One can only wish, and this is a Wish List thread (just that mine is for TDS-3 and not -4).
    I won't raise the subject anymore, either DCS will or they won't.
    Jim

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi, I bleieve that there will be no updates to TDS3 such as incremental back ups unfortunately as this would detract from TDS4's development.

Pilli

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i ask one thing of the DiamondCS team, I want TDS-4 to have a 30-day, fully functional trial like most other software. TDS-3 is powerful from what Ive read however the only way for me to try all of its features like execution protection is to buy it. I dont have money to try all the software i want. n also, TDS-4 will have heuristics right?

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

TDS3 already has adjustable heuristics, so I doubt that heuristics will be left out of TDS4 :)

Pilli

6. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

New method of updating so dcsmutex.exe does not change every time. It is tedious to have to authorise it for PG after every update.

7. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

No pun intended I'm sure ;-)

So you would prefer DCS to put the changed code into a DLL that isn't checked by ProcessGuard then ?

I suppose that at least they will at least have some of a signing/verification routine to make sure that it wasn't malware that tampered with the DLL ...

8. Defenestration

Yeah possibly. I think this is how Kaspersky do it.

9. Defenestration

Ability to select hidden files and folders to be scanned from within TDS. Currently, hidden files and folders are not displayed on the selection dialog.

Workaround: Use Explorer to select and scan file/folder using TDS context menu.

10. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

Geez!! We're almost halfway through March 2005 and still not even one TDS 4 program yet! Not even a beta. Camels cross the Arabian desert faster than this and I'm beginning to think pigs will fly before we get anything. Iraq and Afghanistan have become democracies, Arafat has died and still nothing! We've even had a Tsunami and no TDS 4 yet. The way things are going this pending release may outlast even the pope.

I just looked out the window and I thought I saw a pig fly!! I understand that DCS want to get it right 1st time but waiting an eternity and a half is becoming quite cumbersome.

TDS 4 = 'The Never-Ending Story'

My Feature Wish : Please release the program before I die of old age!! LOL

Dave

11. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Dave, Your post has made me laugh a lot. You have a wicked sense of humour mate! :D

Cheers. Pilli

12. ShunterAlhena

ShunterAlhena Registered Member

Dave,
    How true... :rolleyes:

:D

13. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

TDS-4 : I have NEVER waited so long for a new release,
    first i was a bit sad about that, when i checked every 3 months and saw
    that there was still no new release.

But finally after the years went by, i think it is funny too,
    My grandfather asked my father (in the 30's) to check every now and then here,
    to see if there was a new release.

But now my father is to old and i took this job over from him back in
    the 60's now my Son is going to check for the next 30-40 years or so.

And i hope, if he finds it here, it will not be the same as boclean.

I'll check tomorrow if there is response, otherwise i'll be back in June 2005

:>)

14. Caliban

Caliban Registered Member

Here's my two cents, DCS should release whatever exists of TDS-4. We can all beta test it and interest would be piqued. Trust would also be restored to the extent that the very existence of TDS-4 is questioned. ;)

15. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Dude !
    You are killin me !!! This is a wish list for TDS-4 so here is mine : I would like for TDS-4 to be released . Ok . That was bad . I only want it when it is ready to go but , it sure does take awhile . If it does not blow all other AT programs away , I will be veryupset . And I hope our " free " upgrade is for the whole thing . As stated before , this may have multiple parts . If so , does that mean we get to choose one for free and pay for the rest ? In other words , if there is an ondemand scanner ( like TDS-3 ) and a seperate TDS-4 for real time protection . Does that mean we get our choice of only one of those . I hope it is one complete product . And I was always told that time will tell . hmmmm . I had to take a shot . Everyone else does . To my good friend Gavin , I know you are hard at it . All in fun here . I think you know that .

16. worldcitizen

If no more DCS programmers leave to set up their own software enterprises we might get TDS 4 but from what I can tell the programmers at DCS are working on their own secret programs for launching their own businesses and leaving TDS 4 in the lurch.

The deal is this guys. You look after us and work hard to get TDS 4 released and when you decide to set yourselves up in a software business we'll support you. You scatch our backs and we'll scratch yours but at the moment we are getting shoved to the back of the que all the time to make way for other interests when it's OUR $ that keeps you all alive and well.

As my dear mother used to always say: - Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Dave

17. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

I know that it is frustrating and tedious waiting for TDS-4 to come out but surely a bit of respect can be shown for this thread
    The title of the thread is "wishlist and feature request"

Maybe we should ask Pilli to create another sticky thread for humourous observations (Dave), rants and non-specific complaints (that are not expected to be answered)

Wayne, maybe you could create a new thread (like Marcos did in the NOD32 forum) for the announcement of TDS-4 whenever it is made available and close it straight away so that people can subscribe to it and that would at least save people the need to poll the forum ?

My 2c

18. worldcitizen

Sorry but I just had to have a dig.

Now about the wish list.

I noticed that a lot of sites upload trojan loaders and exploits to our browser cache and from there they can get activated if the cache is not cleaned. Sometimes they get activated anyway or install ugly stuff. No matter which AV or firewall I have had I've always had trouble with these trojan exploits and downloaders and I'm NOT going to practice safe sex.

The world wide web is and should be my universe to explore (including the black holes (and red ones :p :p ) ) and any program that can't get me there and back in one piece is just no good. So I expect and hope that once and for all DCS will address these nasties - trojan downloaders and exploits so that stuff doesn't get onto our PC's other wise what's the use of all this security software if I can't visit my favourite sites?

Dave

19. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Worldcitizen,
    Thought WormGuard was created for that originally?

20. worldcitizen

Hi Jooske,

Don't know. All I know is that even with WG I frequently get these trojan downloaders and I told Gavin and he said that TDS wasn't tweaked to deal with them and that maybe they would think about including that in a later version but so far no program except an AV intercepts them but I found that only Bit Defender really seemed to be able to stop them. They're a nuisance. They only cause problems sometimes but when they do they really can stuff up a system. I tried NOD 32 but a lot of them got through so there doesn't seem to be many programs that take care of these nasties until it's too late.

Dave

21. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

*Irrelevant postings have been removed*

Please get back On Topic again, which is a wishlist for TDS-4.

In WormGuard you can set which file types should always be blocked for execution.
    TDS does deal with downloaders, keyloggers, trojans, dialers, worms, adware, spyware and lots more.
    Use the scanner more frequently, update daily, update windows system, etc.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  22. worldcitizen

I emailed gavin about the downloaders and he said that it was not a function of TDS 3 but that it might be included in a future version. He said might but wasn't too sure about it so I hope it does get included in the new version or in one of the modules as I have already spoken to him about it personally but it's good to mention it here. I hope Gavin does read this.

Dave

23. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

See the many hits on this thread, we all read it!

For me the downloader detection is part of TDS, the blocking is another place for which we have among others WormGuard and i hope a few more, especially if they are trying to manipulate system files or registrysettings.

24. TylerGred

TylerGred Registered Member

I don't know if this has been covered in another thread, I just skimmed over this one, but...

I would like more "right-click" options in the detection box. Especially, the ability to exclude a file from a future scan. I just got this program last night, so maybe there is a way, but I did a search and the only way I read about is to include it in the exclusions list. I think that should be fixed as I have yet to find a way to copy the files address to the exclusion list and it's kind of difficult to type out some of the longer files.

25. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi TylerGred,

In TDS-3 you can only exclude directories (=folders), not files.

Quotes from the Helpfile:
    The Exclusions feature allows you to add directories to a list which will NOT be scanned. When scanning, TDS-3 ignores directories (and all corresponding subdirectories) if they are on the Exclusions list.

To add an Exclusion:
    Click on Exclusions and press Add. In the box provided type the directory path you wish to exclude, and press OK or Enter. You may also remove paths from this list using the Remove button.

=== end quotes ===

As for your question about how to easily get the path of a file or directory:
    There are several free tools for that; I name a few:
    Copy This Path
    http://camtech2000.com/Pages/Useful.html
    CopyPath
    http://www.byalexv.co.uk/
    Ninotech Path Copy
    http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/1527.html

Cheers, Jan.

Edit to add :
    See this old thread for those utilities:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=13098

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.