TDS-3 (Trial Version) Will Not Start

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Skippy666, Jul 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skippy666

Skippy666 Registered Member

I recently installed TDS-3 and have browsed this forum just a little to solving my problem but no help so here goes.

I installed the latest download version from Diamond. My systems is Windows 98 SE. I have also installed Port Explorer. Rebooted my machine. And when I click on them they do not start. I do a ctrl-alt-del and it says it is running (TDS). Yet I seem to get not control panel.

I am a bit paranoid lately. My AVG anti-ver pop up saying a file was infected with Trojan Horse Dropper Small S.J. Deleted the offending files manually. I also am running and scanned with TrojanHunter. Nothing picked up by it.

Ran Adaare and Spybot both too. And when I run msconfig it loads slowly not as fast as before.

So Help in getting TDS to load?

Thanks Skippy

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

HI skippy.

You say you do not get the GUI? but see TDS is running in TM?

OK... have you looked in your System Tray [bottom right] and look for this symbol [see attached pic with red box around it, it may have started minimised for some reason, although by default it should not, you have to set it to minimise].

If you see that Icon, double click it to bring up the GUI.

If you do NOT see that Icon in SysTray or TaskBar, go to TM and right click on it and select 'End Task'.. see if it shuts down.

Then go to your programs files and try to restart it again unless you already have a shortcut somewhere else, OR go to the TDS folder itself where it's installed, look for that same Icon in my pic with "tds-3.exe" after it. Double click on that to start the .exe from within the folder.

If it does not "appear" to start, make sure you go back to TM and see if it's listed as running again.

If it is, once again do End Task on it.

Reboot and try again.

PS: If that fails, uninstall it, Reboot, reinstall.

Post back, see what the results were.

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2004
  3. Skippy666

Not at home at the moment to do it, but I tried something similar. The system tray has no "new" icon. I did the ctrl-alt-del and ended task and tried running it again still no go start to the GUI Manager.

As I said I also installed Port Explorer and that does not want to start also.

I have used the following Adaware, SpyBot, AVG, and Someother Free One that skips my mind (german or russian I think). I have also scanned my system with two free web av scanners.

That will teach me to mess around with software of filesharing and bittorrent!

Once again paranoid that my system has been hijacked!
    Skippy

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

hmmm... so BOTH programs don't want to show their faces?

OK next best thing to do is to email the guys at DCS.

support@diamondcs.com.au

Maybe they can help.

One last question. Have you tried an uninstall/reinstall of one/both programs [although that seems a long shot].

My only other guess would be you have some missing system files/or something.

Cheers, TAS

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Skippy and welcome to the forum!
    I think you might have removed too many files, so have a look at the TDS download site again and check the required system files one by one.
    If your versions are older, replace them with those from the site, if yours are newer keep those.

Please post back if this helps.
    And did you have many other programs up at the same time?

6. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

7. Skippy666

I had tried an unistall and reninstall. Still did not work.
    Then I tried to start it in Safe Mode. No Gone

AND ...

Installed the Runtime Package from the linked provided and

OH GOD I FEEL LIKE A FOOL!

Generally I would like to think I have the latest packages and that installed. Looks like I missed something.

Did a basic Full System Scan. No Trojan spotted.

So I got TDS-3 up and working. Just have to read the Manaul do to a bit more of power search.

Yet the Port Explorer still will not run and show up. Let me try and deinstall and reinstall.

Thanks for the tips and help. Sorry for wasting some peoples time with something that should be easily solved

Skippy

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Skippy666, What firewall are you running, Port Explorer does not get on with Macfee. Just a thought ..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.