TDS-3 Problem

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by gt7697c, Sep 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gt7697c

gt7697c Guest

I am hoping that I am not the only one who is experiencing a problem trying to run TDS-3. Since Trojan Hunter had found something strange on my computer I have been wanting to run TDS-3 just to make sure I don't have something still lurking and I also wanted to scan the backup of the file that Trojan Hunter had said was a Trojan. Only problem is that when I run TDS-3 it sends my CPU to 100% thus freezing my computer and locking it up. Now my system is not ancient it is a PIII 667 with 384 mb of ram and an ATA 100 HD. (Ok so it may be slow but it is not ancient and roaming with Dinosaurs.) So what is the deal with TDS-3, when I have run the Trial before on other PCs it never did this, nor did it actually say my Login Name on this computer....which I find annoying.

Can some one helpo_Oo_O??

I like both Trojan Scanners and it is very hard to make a decision especially when one wants to crash my system.

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi gt,

We sure can give it a try ;).

First: exactly how did you configure TDS? Please have a look at the first two posts on this forum: basic instructions coming with screen hots.

Second: I'll take it, TH has been disabled while running TDS - including the Guard?

Third: what's the O/S you have installed?

regards.

paul

3. gt7697c

gt7697c Guest

I am running Win 2k SP3.

Trojan Hunter Guard was disabled during install and run of the program. I don't know how to disable the program unless you mean by uninstalling it.

When I double clicked the .exe to install TDS-3 I set it to not do a quick scan when I started TDS-3. This was done as I had, had a previous error several days with a clean install of TDS-3 when it hanged the system while it was doing its quick scan. (I uninstalled it via its uninstall program, and was today trying to install the program again and avoid the system freeze. I was unsuccessful so thought I should post and get some expert help.)

4. gt7697c

gt7697c Guest

I never got past the initial launching of the Program to configure beyond any default settings. Basically the only configuration that was done was during installing the product on to my system.

5. Paul Wilders

Right. First, let's check in you grabbed a corrupted .exe file.

Uninstall TDS (in case you are a registered user - save your reg key!), and grab a copy from our downloads page. Don't worry - we are an official DSC/TDS mirror.

Install this newly grabbed copy (import a license key if you've got one), and let us know what happens.

regards.

paul

6. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

7. gt7697c

gt7697c Guest

I redownloaded and installed TDS-3 again. It crashed my system again. I also made sure to unload Trojan Hunter when I installed it and started the program.
    For a screen shot of it crashing my system please go here:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,4346714~root=security,1~mode=flat

8. gt7697c

gt7697c Guest

Maybe Randy can link to the thread....considering I don't know how to in this forum.

9. Randy_Bell

10. Paul Wilders

gt,

You stated:

Which brings me back to one of my original remarks: do you have a reg key, received from DCS after buying the software? Could be essential.

regards.

paul

11. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi gt7697c,

See this page :

http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/html/files.htm

There can be a problem with older system files, I would recommend you check the versions for the files listed near the top of the page :

comctl32.ocx (Windows 9x/NT/2000) version 6.0.80.22
    tabctl32.ocx (Windows 9x/NT/2000) version 6.0.88.4
    richtx32.ocx (Windows 9x/NT/2000) version 6.0.88.4
    comdlg32.ocx (Windows 9x/NT/2000) version 6.0.84.18

Right click on the files in your Windows\System or System32 folder, and choose Properties. In the version tab, verify you have version numbers as high or higher than the ones listed for each file, any that are not up to date please download and replace your files.

Does this solve the problem ?

If not, please mail tech@diamondcs.com.au and we will get some more information off you. It would help to include a little information about your system, we already know it is Win2k SP3, do you have up to date drivers for your hardware ? You could also list version numbers for all the files listed on the above page.

12. gt7697c

gt7697c Guest

Here is what my system shows:
    comctl32.ocx (Windows 9x/NT/2000) version 6.0.81.5
    tabctl32.ocx (Windows 9x/NT/2000) version 5.0.37.14
    richtx32.ocx (Windows 9x/NT/2000) version 6.0.81.69

My system is up to date with drivers, definitions, and patches according to MS-Windows Update and Symantec's Live Update. (My system is a P-III 667, PC-133 384MB, 40GB ATA 100 HD. Running Win 2k SP 3 fully updated and patched via Windows Update. Let me know if you need more info on my system.)

I have never registered the product TDS-3 it has always been a 30 day trial. (I normally format and reinstall the O/S about every 6 months or so......this has been longer than 6 months on this setup right now. Now 6 months ago I had installed an older version of TDS-3 and there were no problems with my system. I do not believe this is a Hardware problem as my system is not that ancient. If anyone does think it is ancient please give my the $$ to buy a new one.:))

This is very frustrating because TDS-3 in the past when I have tried it worked on my system flawlessly. Now it crashes my system. I had finally narrowed it down to two programs Trojan Hunter and TDS-3 and was strongly considering getting both products. (One to do manual scans with etc....) But now that TDS-3 and my system are not playing nice well......I don't want to get software that doesn't want to play nice with my system.. (Would you want to get software that doesn't play nice with your systemo_Oo_O)

13. Randy_Bell

Gavin's list:

comctl32.ocx (Windows 9x/NT/2000) version 6.0.80.22
    tabctl32.ocx (Windows 9x/NT/2000) version 6.0.88.4
    richtx32.ocx (Windows 9x/NT/2000) version 6.0.88.4

GT's list:

comctl32.ocx (Windows 9x/NT/2000) version 6.0.81.5
    tabctl32.ocx (Windows 9x/NT/2000) version 5.0.37.14
    richtx32.ocx (Windows 9x/NT/2000) version 6.0.81.69

Looks like you need to go to Gavin's site and download the following files: tabctl32.ocx and richtx32.ocx -- I checked the link he gave, and at the bottom you'll find download links for these files. Oh heck, here I've retrieved them for you:

tabctl32.ocx - http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/sysfiles/tabctl32.zip

richtx32.ocx - http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/sysfiles/richtx32.zip

Try that out to see whether it makes a difference. First make a backup of the old files before replacing them. It never hurts to replace a system file with one of higher version, since the functionality of the old file is retained in the new file.

14. gt7697c

gt7697c Guest

That fixed the problem. Apparetly it was just peeing all over its self because of two files not up to date.......oh well.... at least so far it seems to be working.

Thanks for all the help.

15. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Congratulations to have your evaluation version up and running again.
    In the registered version is even more functionallity.
    How about exec protection, ability to run large scripts (like the famous Screx), updates from the console, access to the members only private forum, life long upgrading for free, etc.?
    For saying your name, did it before in the former situation?
    In fact in trial versions one should not be able to have their name configured as it says the registered name or the one we configure it to tell.
    In the private forum we posted some scripts using that option.
    Does the speech option work properly?
    Testing in the TDS bottom line:
    Type speak "hello" <enter>
    No sound?

If you've seen in some postings here, you might have seen Wayne's message in another thread here about products in the build, working beside TDS if you like, which together might solve all your needs. About buying TDS-3 now the price being and being upgraded to TDS-4 for free in a couple of months, --can't expect it to become cheaper-- and soon the other new products, beside a new WormGuard, think it deservers your consideration.

Since i see people running into problems with older system files overwriting the newer they must have had, due to installing older software, i'm more careful myself too with older software, where possible looking into zip-versions and looking at file versions before installing it. As most don't detect newer versions and don't ask us if we want to keep the newer ones, unfortunately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.