Tauscan Better than TDS?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by notageek, Mar 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Well from this web site it is. http://www.agnitum.com/products/tauscan/compare.html
    I'm sure People have already seen this. But is it true. If you notice they have mostly AVs they are comparing to also. McAfee 7.0 found 3182 compared to TDS finding 3248. Really odd if you ask me.

2. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

That's Agnitum's product comparison. Do you seriously expect they would show TDS or any other product detecting more than their own product? :) It will naturally be bias

I'd encourage you to read this small article ... "Tips for determining the credibility of anti-trojan tests" - http://www.diamondcs.com.au/info/trojantestcredibility.htm

Best regards,
    Wayne

3. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

I have read all that.

Now I would like to know in your opinion, what group, agency or Lab out there that is doing anti-trojan tests, actually meets the criteria you laid out in all those question?

Thanks. :)

4. notageek

Wayne I understand they wouldn't put TDS infront of their product. But to them McAfee was only 66 findings away from being tied with TDS for second place. Now that's odd also. lol Lookis like McAfee is catching up with all them trojan scanners out there. :)

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

So much depends on so many factors.
    If Tauscan would use their own database you might expect them to score 100%, if the trojans used are the common ones you might expect them to be detected by all of them.
    Are they lab versions or found in the wild, etc.
    And of course settings of the program are a factor:
    for TDS i scan with every option available and on highest sensitivity. Which means even if a trojan would not be there in the database by it's exact name, it is detected by its suspicious code.
    Years ago i had very bad experiences with Mcafee not protecting my system at all so i don't even consider it a valid second opinion.

6. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I'm sure some of these tests deliberately use a lot of VBS trojans and worms, and trojan support files, even CGI scripts and PHP IP loggers, which are not currently even scanned by TDS. Wormguard automatically protects from VBS threats, blocking them completely. TDS detects same with generic detection.

With RADIUS4 engine, we aren't going to let such tests claim TDS to be less effective - there are thousands more signatures detected. I dont personally see the point in detecting a CGI log file used by a trojan, a bit like trojan clients being left out - it is not a trojan, it is a file used by an attacker. We do scan clients because corporations can scan their users PCs and make sure they arent using trojans at work (one example)

So with TDS-4 you should see a huge increase in primary signatures, mostly for statistics sake, but also for a more complete database.. the actual numbers I'm not too sure about yet, sorry :)

7. Gavin - DiamondCS

..please note also that this is an old test, and now we have a dedicated trojan analyst (yours truly), the TDS database has more than tripled in size and continues to grow. REAL trojan threats (mostly RATs) are added constantly and I dare say it would be extremely hard to go find a trojan that is not already detected. If you do, please email it to me, gavin@diamondcs.com.au :D

8. notageek

OK thanks for the clear up, but right now I'm going to stick with McAfee as my AV/AT. :)

9. root

root Registered Member

Hi notageek. I stayed out of this so far as I am associated with Agnitum, so I do not like to get involved in discussing such issues as was started here.
    However you last statement prompts me to suggest something here. I think the choice to go with McAfee for both AV and AT detection is something that most true security gurus would not suggest. Although McAfee scores well in many comp tests, I also notice on various BBs that people, over time, have some serious problems with McAfee.
    As much as I like KAV, I still do not recommend people to use only KAV for both AV and AT protection.
    If money is a major consideration and you cannot spend more for trojan specific protection, I would highly suggest you give System Safety Monitor a try.
    http://maxcomputing.narod.ru/ssme.html?lang=en
    This really is a great little free program that I would not be without.
    As Paul is fond of saying, putting all your eggs in one basket is risky business. That saying was born out of experience. ;)

10. notageek

Hi Root, I was looking into checking out SSM or Abtrusion Security. I'm right now using WinPatrol. I was also thinking a
    bout buying Tauscan but I seen that they charged you a yearly fee. It would be a lot better to go for another AT that don't charge you a yearly few (like TDS). Thanks for the info Root.

11. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hi Notageek.

I use WinPatrol also. ;)

I agree with Root.
    I prefer to have a layered defense.
    Having a devoted av program and a separate at program is more comfortable or secure for me.

Stay secure,
    the Tester.

12. adiel

adiel Registered Member

tauscan performing better than Kaspersky AVPo_O??
    LOL
    its so funny....its a joke....i can't believe it.
    i suppose agnitum.com has changed into some comic/humor site...
    oh God.....how far a company can go in order to sell its products.
    its the lie of the century.

13. notageek

Hi Tester, I'm giving Trojan Remover a try. Now I need to find out if they make you pay a yearly subscription for updates and stuff. I'll also give TDS a try when my 30 day is over with Trojan Remover.

14. Looney

Looney Guest

:cool:

greetings peoples and persons,

The following chart illustrates the effectiveness of Tauscan compared to other current Anti-Virus and Anti-Trojan software. We checked these programs on HOW EFFECTIVE THEY WERE AT DETECTING EACH OF THE 3772 TROJANS MONITORED BY TAUSCAN.

Seems to me that Tauscan have ONLY tested the meanies that Tauscan catches, hence by default it starts with a 100% detect rate. Other ATs are tested against exactly the same files and rated according to the percentage of those exact files they detect.

A little fishy if you ask moi (thats frog for me). This test is as exciting and stupendous as a flat tyre. I feel this test is so cooked that it has the personality of a dead fish.

have used up all brain power now...need a beer to recharge (hopefully looks about again for a gorgeous girl..sighs..such is life).

Gonna go fix a tyre

L

15. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Independent tests

Here are two tests performed by _independent_ (no bias) testers ...

Eric L. Howes' Trojan Detection Tests - http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/trojans/tr-tests.htm

Anti-trojan-software-reviews.com - http://www.anti-trojan-software-reviews.com/

We have no connection with either Eric or the person(s) behind anti-trojan-software-reviews.com but they both rated TDS higher than all other anti-trojan systems in their conclusion to their own independent anti-trojan testing.

16. notageek

17. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:cool:newbys ignore all comment's in this thread lol it is meant to confuse you

:cool:i am newby blaze take the red pill and you wake up take the blue TDS pill and ill show you how far down the rabbit hole goes lol

18. Gavin - DiamondCS

The test may be small and you could call it outdated, but it demonstrates that you need multiple scan methods, advanced detection and DAILY updates to stay safe.. and layered defence ALWAYS !

Another 100+ trojans in todays TDS update, >7500 unique primary signatures and growing :D

19. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Re:Independent tests

Your....

Hints for determining the credibility of anti-trojan tests
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/info/trojantestcredibility.htm

contained 12 questions for your reader. The two tests performed by _independent_ (no bias) testers you referenced, only passed 4 of those questions. And as others will point out to you this is 2003 not 2002 and this

Signature File Currency Test

http://www.anti-trojan-software-reviews.com/database-currency-test.htm
    is not really a test but I like their style and I am well acquainted with Eric's Testing. :)

I agree with you that they were both unbiased. My thoughts...you will find no person or group who will meet your criteria of credibility based upon those 12 questions.

If you ever find one let us know.

I know your company will continue to improve their products to reach a wider audience.

20. notageek

Hi Gavin, in 29 days I'm going to try TDS and if I like I might buy. :)

21. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Notageek,
    take all the time you need. After 29 days you have 30 for TDS which brings you 59 days closer to TDS-4 and other very very nice products from DCS (of which some even free -- how can for such goodies we're betatesting now!?)
    By that time visit the TDS threads here for tips and configuration ideas to get the most out of that trial time.
    DCS always advices to please shop around, to get the feel of some programs and what is to your liking, so please do.
    I did, several years ago and with TDS, even though i was far from experienced, i registered in a few hours after i was told what to do and to look for and was lead step by step through it with so much support --where did they ever get so much patience, i think looking back in that amazing DiamondCS-Support folder where i saved every support email for my remarkable info database :) so what else can i do but using it in supporting other users?

You've more to look for now, but watch for the TDS-4 line coming in sight.

22. notageek

Jooske, you know when TDS 4 is coming out? Cuz I would rather spend my 30 day trial on a new version of TSD.

23. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Nobody knows, but don't worry, as we all will go through a new learning experience whenever it will be we do it all together. And the DCS policy is: registered users are upgraded for free. So experiment with the current version all time you like.

24. notageek

OK thanks

25. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You're welcome!

I must correct myself though: i mean of course the 30 days trial and whatever you decide after.
    But this is the same of course for the program you're testing at the moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.