Tauscan and AntiVir

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by acro, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acro

acro Registered Member

I'm using AVG 7.5, Adaware Plus and AntiVir.

I decided to try out Tauscan which I see from some references here may not be the best choice.

My question isn't specifically about the merits of Tauscan but my concern about what is happening when I run it.

Checking the whole PC with AntiVir comes up clear.

If I check Docs Sets>Admin with Tauscan its clear.

Checking the whole PC with Tauscan, AntiVir pops up having found Heur-Dblext/crypted - exe disguised as harmless with the location in Docs Set/...../Temp.
    The actual Tauscan scan at this stage is invariably in a folder/partition long after the Docs Set/..../Temp folder.
    This can happen 15 to 20 times during the scan of the PC and occurs when the scan is in different partitions, although there appears to be some consistency.

With Windows Explorer displaying the temp folder I can see these files, and others, appear during the scan. Some of these files are xxx.tmp.exe.
    They were not there before the scan started.

In this situation AntiVir does not offer a delete option so I use quarantine which seems the best available.

Subsequent runs with Tauscan repeat as above.

Tauscan itself never identifies a problem - AntiVir beats it every time.

I assume or hope that the above is some sort of clash.

I'll check and try an alternative Trojan product because there is obviously some doubt in my mind now as to whether there is a Trojan or not.

NB: Slightly against my better judgement I tried disabling AntiVir Guard and ran Tauscan again. Nothing was found.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  2. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Tauscan special deep heuristic even cracks the most sophisticated commercial crypter, but it takes hours to scan and several false positives.

3. acro

acro Registered Member

Thanks

Tauscan scan doesn't seem to find anything with AntiVir Guard enabled.

AntVir pops up during Tauscan scan and suggests its found something - repeatedly.

Tauscan scan still doesn't find anything with AntiVir Guard disabled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.