Taskhost requesting internet access

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Platoon, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Platoon

Platoon Registered Member

Hello Wilders,

I got a popup from PrivateFirewall warning me that taskhost.exe was attempting to connect to 63.245.217.161 through Firefox. It's the first time ever I've seen taskhost trying to connect so I blocked it. When it happened I was indeed with a sandboxed Firefox window open. However, why did taskhost try the connection? The taskhost.exe path is C:\Windows\System32 which, I reckon, is the correct and "safe" one.

Now the odd bit is that 63.245.217.161 is a Mozilla ip. I've scanned my computer with Mbam and Avast and nothing showed up. There are no start up entries, strange process or services running.

I did a search and found a topic related to taskhost, but unfortunately there isn't much info.

What's going on? Should I worry about it? It only happened once, but better safe than sorry. I'm on Windows 7 HP x64.

Thanks.

2. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

i had the a similar alert from comodo firewall, i allowed it as i was sure it was to do with firefox too. i would not worry about it :thumb:

taskhost is used as a host for processes that run from dll's rather than exe's

3. Platoon

Platoon Registered Member

You're probably right, treehouse786. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.