Taskhost requesting internet access

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Platoon, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Platoon

Platoon Registered Member

Hello Wilders,

I got a popup from PrivateFirewall warning me that taskhost.exe was attempting to connect to 63.245.217.161 through Firefox. It's the first time ever I've seen taskhost trying to connect so I blocked it. When it happened I was indeed with a sandboxed Firefox window open. However, why did taskhost try the connection? The taskhost.exe path is C:\Windows\System32 which, I reckon, is the correct and "safe" one.

Now the odd bit is that 63.245.217.161 is a Mozilla ip. I've scanned my computer with Mbam and Avast and nothing showed up. There are no start up entries, strange process or services running.

I did a search and found a topic related to taskhost, but unfortunately there isn't much info.

What's going on? Should I worry about it? It only happened once, but better safe than sorry. I'm on Windows 7 HP x64.

Thanks.

2. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

i had the a similar alert from comodo firewall, i allowed it as i was sure it was to do with firefox too. i would not worry about it :thumb:

taskhost is used as a host for processes that run from dll's rather than exe's

3. Platoon

Platoon Registered Member

You're probably right, treehouse786. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.