TaskBackgroundConfigSurveyor:The task image is damaged

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by julio99, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. julio99

julio99 Registered Member

TaskBackgroundConfigSurveyor:The task is damaged or has been tampered with. That is the error I get when I open Task Scheduler. It just makes the error sound and it pops up I have no idea why and that is why I'm here. If it's a task I can't find it. About a week ago I did an Acronis Backup to a month earlier and the error was gone. A couple of days later and it's back. The path for this is System32/Tasks/Microsoft/Windows/PerfTrack/BackgroundConfigSurveyor. I was just about ready to delete the folder but I thought I better check wit you all first and see if I can get some help at getting this error fixed.
    This error happens when I open the Task Scheduler. I'm running Windows 7 HP on an Acer laptop. 4GB RAM/32Bit

I've also ran chkdsk and sfc /scannow and all was good with those.

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

There should be a "task cannot be loaded" error in your event logs - what's it say? This: schtasks /query may also show what's wrong.

3. julio99

I did as you said with the command prompt and it said the service was disabled. Also in the Event Viewer it shows " Task Scheduler failed to load task at service startup" Event ID 146. I tried double clicking that box to take me to the Online Help concerning the error and there's nothing there. This has to be th hardest error to solve for me since I've started to do my own service. That's not much, but I try my best and the Forums can be helpful. I hope you have a something to try.

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Which service? Few short questions - this an upgrade from Vista? How about defrag - you have one scheduled?

PS - You delete that folder AndyK suggested?

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  5. julio99

The task is called BackgroundConfigSurveyor. It's a Microsoft Windows Service. It's located in the PerfTrack folder on the left side of Task Scheduler click Microsoft then Windows and then PerfTrack and it will open up that BackgroundConfigSurveyor task. For me the minute I try and open it I get the error. The Win 7 install started as an upgrade, but I just decided then to do a clean install and that's what I did. As for Defrag, I use O&O on an Auto setting. I just shut Windows Defrag off, but I turned it on just to see if it had anything to do with the error and it didn't, so should I turn it back off?
    As for following Andy's advice, yes I did delete the folder but I backed it up to the desktop, and the error does stop, but beings that it's a Microsoft Windows hidden task, isn't it important enough to keep running? With that in mind should it be fixed or can it be deleted with no harm to the system. It is also located in the Registry in the Task Cache, so where should it be deleted? In the folder, in the cache or both? Or will deleting it in the folder also take care of it in the cache?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.