Tails Live CD MAC address and Host Name

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by notthatguy, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notthatguy

notthatguy Registered Member

Ok here's my questions regarding Tails, hopefully someone on here is pretty knowledgeable with Tails I've just started experimenting with it.

1. Changing your MAC address, I don't understand how you do it. From what I've read you type in the console "sudo macchanger -a eth1" but how do I know it has randomized my MAC?

2. Is there a hostname while using Tails? Does it use your windows hostname? or do all Tails users have the same Hostname?

3. How do I check what my MAC and Hostname are on Tails?

Thanks for anyone who can shed some light on this. I've just started reading on Tails so I apologize if these are common questions, I did search for over an hour and was unsuccessful.

-NTG

2. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

It's not necessary to change your MAC address and hostname if you're only using your home internet connection. MAC and computer name are visible to routers on the local area network only--i.e., they are completely undetectable to the outside world. It only makes sense if you are using a WiFi hotspot for your network connection or something like that. Otherwise, there's no point in trying to hide from your own router. :p

Edit: I just realized there was a similar topic on this already discussed, so you're probably already aware of these things I mentioned above. Having said that, if you are going to go the hotspot route, you may want to look at http://www.hacker10.com/computer-security/computer-mac-addresses-explained/. There you will find some tips on how to check your MAC address in the various operating systems as well as how to go about changing it. I'm not sure about the hostname/computer name, but on most systems it should be relatively easy to go into the control panel (or equivalent) and just change it manually, if need be.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  3. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

thank you poster, i was just about to ask the same question.

many thanks for the great reply :thumb:

4. notthatguy

notthatguy Registered Member

Thanks for the helpful post Casper that will help me for locating my MAC on Tails. I owe you again.

If anyone has any light regarding the hostname it would be much appreciated.

5. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

I don't see how TAILS (never tried it) could broadcast anything identifying as far as the host name goes. But, if they are all the same, that in itself could be identifying for return visits to the same hot spot (how many people at your coffee shop are running TAILS?). The easiest way to check, would be to fire it up on your home network, and check the router DHCP section.

PD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.