Tabs problems

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by David N, Apr 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David N

David N Guest

Re: The Official "Thank You DCS" Thread :D

Unfortunately I still can't get the program to work properly. Tabs disappear, turn black and sometimes purple. I tried ALT+F4 but that seems to cause other problems.

I will be very happy and grateful when this is fixed. I reported these problems to Jason a month ago and I noticed some other users have had these problems too so I hope I won't have to wait much longer.

Dave

2. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Re: The Official "Thank You DCS" Thread :D

Hi,

What video card and video drivers do you have ?

I'm pretty sure this is a driver, RAM, or similar issue. Can you send us specs of all of those and speeds, as much advanced info as you can give would really help. I have replicated this rarely on an older nVidia driver on a Geforce 1 - this machine is obviously running an old video card, RAM, CPU. With everything at default settings it is fine but I only have to overclock it a bit to get black buttons now and then :)

So its an angled guess that this is a general system issue. Do any programs crash ? Ever have freezes ?

Even a BIOS update might help :D

3. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

Hi Gavin,

I have an Asus ATI 9600XT Video Card with the latest ATI drivers. My PC is an Intel Pentium 4, 2.6C with HT. 1 GB Ram, XP Home SP1 all updated. My video card is brand new. Only had it a bit over a month. My PC has the latest Abit motherboard (A17) with latest bios (16). I have had no problems whatsoever with any programs on my PC except Process Guard. I never have overclocked my PC. I only have this problem with PG. Other programs run perfectly. I never have freezes or crashes. My PC is 3 only months old. All brand new hardware, gpu & ram.

I sent Jason my full specs and he said they're working on a fix but the GPU and PC are all the latest so it's got nothing to do with an aged system.
    I really want to use PG so if either you or Jason need me to resend any info please let me know.

Dave

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi worldcitizen, One thing you did not mention in your last post was the resolution you are running at.
    I believe that we have had a report on this board about problems with wide screen settings, it may be nothing to do with your problem but I am sure the extra info' might help DCS :)

Pilli

5. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

Hi Pilli,

Thanks for replying.

My resolution is at 1024 X 768 (32bit)

PG is a great program but having problems. (blank, black or purple unclickable tabs) I've had these problems ever since I bought it a few weeks ago. One major problem I had was when the prompt appeared at the logon screen telling me it was allowing my graphics driver to load once. I think I got a yellow warning. The problem is that because the tabs were not available to 'allow always' it never ever allowed part of the driver to function so everytime I logged on Windows went slow motion (all caused because I could not allocate permissions due to no tabs) and no matter how many times I rebooted I couldn't fix the error. I tried everything but even an uninstall didn't work so I had to restore an image of Windows with True Image. Since then I haven't used it anymore until I make an up-to-date image.

But having said all that I really feel safe with the program because it seems to protect my PC very well especially from malware trying to install toolbars etc. I told Jason and really look forward to using this program again one day soon.

Dave

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Administrator

I haven't mentioned it anywhere, since I sort of resolved it - but in setting up my wife's new laptop - which has one of the 1680 x 1050 resolution screens - the only way to get an easily seen font is to set the text to be 120 DPI - but on this type of screen that really means 125% overall sizing. That makes the text in the tabs overlap the actual tabbed buttons. Not a huge problem. It trades one aesthetic problem for another. Since I prefer to preserves my wifes eyesight, I'll suffer through the messy tabs. But these types of screens may be a bit of a programming challenge.

On the allowing of programs issue.... The other thing that I do when I install or update software (and I realize that this should be done with caution and is not for everyone), I often pop PG into learning mode and put the app through it's paces. I also do this if I have start-up/allow issues. I then go to the
    Program Checksums tab to make sure there's nothing I don't want there. I started doing this after having continual lockups which were due to launches of unattended overnight AV scans which I hadn't explicitly allowed. Anyway - just a thought if you're having startup problems and you're sure the PC is clean. I guess I'd also verify that you're not blocking something that is needed.

Blue

7. linney

linney Registered Member

Rather than restore an image to fix your tab problem. You can highlight the driver or program in PG's Program Checksum's list. This will bring up a Remove tab and a drop down menu to set the permission for your driver or program. Then you can set it to Allow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.