T.I. 9 build 2289 backup completed with errors

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by angeloio, Oct 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angeloio

angeloio Guest

Greetings to everybody,
    I just bought T.I ( build 2289 and tried to back up my whole 80 GB drive to an external USB 2.0 drive using the boot CD (full option) because I do not trust the live backups.
    It took nearly 2.5 hours and in the very end it reposrted "backup completed with errors". But of course there was no logs to check what went wrong.
    The weird thing is that I checked the archive from within windows and reposrted that the operation completed successfully. I do not know what to trust. And since it is my multiple OS laptop disk I do not dare to check a restore.
    Any ideas ?
    Many thanx

2. dscrap

dscrap Registered Member

Hi,

First of all, how is your hard drive configured on your laptop? How many partitions and how much space is used.

You probably got errors because of the length of time it took to do the imaging. 2.5 hours is a long time. Is the USB drive USB 2.0? What about the laptop, is it USB 2.0 or USB 1.1? It makes a huge difference.

My suggestion would be to make a new partition on the hard drive and image to that. Then transfer the image file from the hard drive to the USB drive. This will avoid the bottleneck when imaging to the USB drive.

Another way of doing it would be to buy a 2.5" hard drive to IDE adapter ($10) and take the hard drive out of the laptop and hook it to a regular pc and then image the laptop hard drive to the hard drive on the pc and then transfer the image to the USB drive or have it split to burn to CD/DVD.

A third way, I haven’t actually tried this, is to do a clone of the laptop hard drive to the USB drive. Then boot using the USB drive instead of the internal hard drive. If it boots and everything works, then image the USB drive from a PC and burn the image...

What OS are you dual booting with? I have read that if you install the Acronis Boot Recovery Manager, it will write over the MBR (master boot record) and you will have problems with the dual boot. So avoid this...

I have been in the computer biz for 15 years, and one of the things I always do or tell my customers is to back up your data. If you have a burner on your laptop, burn you data files (pictures, documents, music, etc). If you don't have a burner, transfer them to the USB drive and then to a regular PC to burn them. Don't just leave them on the USB drive. USB drives are not failsafe!

Once that is done, you should configure your laptop similar to this with more than one partition...
    1. C:\Windows
    2. D:\Second OS
    3. E:\My Documents and right click on the My Documents folder and select properties and change the location to E:\ under windows. This will save all files to E:\ by default.
    4. F:\Storage You can make your image files here.

The advantages of doing it this way is that if either OS crashes, you can still get back to the E:\ partition to retrieve your documents using a boot disk or CD. You could also restore from the F:\ using True Image.

When you make your image file, just image the C:\ and D:\ drives because you should have your documents backed up manually. This will dramatically reduce the size of your image and the creation time. Use normal compression. I have found it makes image files smaller than the higher compression levels and is faster. Why? I have no idea...

It’s funny that people use True Image to back up there entire drive including the 100's of MP3's they have. What a waste of time and energy.

Hope this helps, sorry if I bounced around a lot, but there is no one way to do anything. Especially when it comes to computers.

Post back on what you did and what worked for you.... Also you thoughts on my comments.

Good Luck!

3. ererce

ererce Registered Member

Browsing forum, you may find similar problems reported. I have received information from Acronis that this is known error and will be fixed in yet another build... o_O
    If Acronis will keep dodgying this product all the time I think that before Xmas we will reach build 5000

4. airwolf22

airwolf22 Registered Member

I have the same problem. I used the rescue cd to create my backup to a USB 2.0 Maxtor disk. The True Image 9.0 Build 2289 is what I am currently using. Thank goodness I kept my True Image 8.0 Build 937 Rescue CD and that works like a champ. I have also submitted a support request on this issue. I see that Acronis True Image 9.0 is now on its third build. I would be very embarassed if I worked on the Acronis True Image product quality control team. True Image Version 9.0 is just released and they are already on their third build and NEEDING to go to the fourth build.:oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.