SysWatch Personal 3.8 free beta

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ichito, Jul 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ichito

ichito Registered Member

http://www.safensoft.com/archiv/n/774/1753

2. Thx ichito for posting, might be temped to try it out when it is out of beta (Safensoft once was a good FW/HIPS/Exe monitor).

Is the scan for executables (to whitelist) problem solved? Scanning HD for whitelist to finish took some time, continuing without it finishing this house keeping step and increasing security levels often led to problems (hence people posting telling others it is buggy, don't install it wrecked my PC kind of posts).

It uses a little bit to much CPU for my taste on my old E5200 pentium dual core. When you wait for the scan to finish, before messing with the settings you should be fine. With x64 and Win8 compatibility some Wilders Members (with good imaging backup) might be temped to try it again.

I have added Safe DLL search mode to my GPO and use Chromium with Flash dll (in stead of better PPAPI flash of chrome), just because adobe flash dll is in a safe folder (UAC protected). I was told by an expert, that I am better of with strict SRP and weaker flash dll, than weaker DLL policies and stronger PPAPI flash dll. So new release might appeal to security issues of the corporate market.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2013
  3. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

F-Prot, for real? How do they even stay in business. According to the description of their proactive technology below, they seem to be a sort of policy-restricted sandbox with some AE-like capabilities.

Attached Files:

• sns.JPG
      sns.JPG
      File size:
      136.6 KB
      Views:
  4. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

Well, finally!!!
    I love this program, but had many blue screen problems, freezes, etc. on Win7x64. I hope for something improved. Very strong software!

5. Well think of it what you want, AppGuard basically follows same triage (level 1: deny execute user space, level2: protect admins space for guarded aps, level 3 add memory protection and confidentiallity extra's to front line aps). Much of this triage/VIPO is also the idea behind my safe-admin setup.

There is nothing wrong with their concept (only their implementation is not as good as others have achieved, but it is free and has FW, so ....)

6. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I actually like their method of protection and prefer it to be honest.

7. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

A free policy-restriction program that works on 64-bit systems? Oh snap! I noticed the beta is free; will the final product be as well or paid?

8. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

SysWatch personal IS free by default.
    http://www.safensoft.com/security.phtml?c=624

9. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

This looks a very interesting program...
    I see nowhere a mention of a firewall though.

10. The version with the AV was paid, without free, let's wait and see.

Agree with 1000db why pay for F-prot as extra, when you can get Avast and Bitdefender for free (to name a few).

11. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Nope....the free version comes with F-Prot.
    I tested it last month.....

12. Brandonn2010

Oh, if it came without an AV, then it would be nice. Also, what does it mean "For Microsoft Security Essentials" ?

13. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

only deluxe come with AV.

14. Brandonn2010

1. I just noticed it recommends MSE but works with other AVs. Why does it say "For Microsoft Security Essentials" ?

2. It seems the free license is only for 1 year? Does it allow you to keep renewing like Avast!?

3. Could I get a confirmation on whether the 8.3 Personal Edition includes F-Prot?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  15. Brandonn2010

Has anyone tried this? It sounds a lot like DefenseWall, GeSWall, etc. I want to try it but I don't have a test machine, and it sounds like the last version was buggy.

I'd also like to point out it got a 100% on a Single Product Review from AV-Comparatives in 2010, though they noted it required user-interaction: http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/sp_rev_safensec_201003_en.pdf

EDIT: I emailed them, and although the license says 1 year, they said it is still free and renews, so I guess like Avast!'s license.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  16. ichito

ichito Registered Member

17. Brandonn2010

18. I tried it again, scan still takes a long time, patience to finish, worked fine afterwards (but it has allways worked without problems on my PC).

19. Brandonn2010

If it does appear to be not-buggy, I will add it to my site, but making sure to recommend a scan before restarting the PC.

What are the differences between it and GeSWall, DW, etc. It sounds like it makes everything on the PC trusted, just like those, but does it make infection vectors "untrusted" or just act like an anti-exe for new executables, with optional sandboxing?

20. It worked okay before on my PC, so don't know whether it has improved :D

1. Determines System Profile (like OA and AE do) automatically builds FW and Execution whitelist on this profile
    2. Runs internet facing programs in limited user environment (with additional HIPS protection like AppGuard or OA's run safer with it HIPS)
    3. Application control (anti-executable, also includes scripts and DLL's, like AE)

Say 1/2 of OA, 1/4 of AG and 1/4 of AE

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2013
  21. ichito

ichito Registered Member

hanks Kees...it was useful short review :thumb:

22. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

wooooooooo finally it works for so long time:D

23. Brandonn2010

Is that from personal experience, or just Windows_Security's post? :D

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

personal experience:D I meant SafenSoft SysWatch Personal 3.8 wasn't working properly lol not me I function properly :) well I guez :)

25. Brandonn2010

Okay, tried it on my Mom's laptop. Her laptop is a few years old, has Vista, and is generally crappy, so it seemed the best machine to test it on :D

- I tried to download the beta, but I kept getting a "Network Error" and the download would fail, so I just got the current version.

- I let it run a full scan for exes. It took around 50 minutes, so no longer than a full scan for an AV, which is acceptable.

- It displays popups whenever Google Update processes run, which is kind of annoying as there are several that run upon logging in.

- Since it's a real machine, I thought I'd test it with Comodo Leak Test, rather than real malware. I got a UAC-type popup from SW asking if I wanted to execute as Limited, Install, or Block the execution. I chose Limited, hoping to see CLT running in some sort of sandbox (is that a new feature in the beta?). However, it just seemed to not execute. I tried a few times but it never ran.

- Memory usage was rather low, and no obvious slowdowns.

- It seemed to fail to update, as it seemed to freeze at 90%. I cancelled it after 10 minutes of it staying at 90%. I tried again later, it did the same thing, but when I cancelled, it said it had updated and was up-to-date? Lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.