System Tray Icons

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ftwynne59, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ftwynne59

ftwynne59 Registered Member

Hi all

Maybe a simple answer to this one....but can anyone elucidate why some trial security apps drop their icons in the system tray when real-time protection is not offered/featured ? I understand that you can 'uncheck' this feature.....but I always assumed (rightly or wrongly....sorry, Im a relative newb), that an icon in the system tray actually meant that you were protected from attacks in real-time. If not, what is the purpose ?? Is it simply a marketing ploy, i.e. a constant reminder that you have the app installed and so are more inclined to purchase on trial end....or something else?
    Just curious....

ftwynne59

2. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    When real-time protection is not offered in the program you've installed, it won't be there, even if there is a icon active in the system-tray.
    That icon is, in that case, only controls the features that are present in that app.

It is wrong to asume that when a security application drops an icon in the systray it suddenly has features that weren't present in the first place (or any feature for that matter)

Lamehand

3. ftwynne59

ftwynne59 Registered Member

Lamehand...thanks for that:)

ftwynne59

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.