System State - System Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by victord66, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. victord66

victord66 Registered Member

How does the backup of a system state with TI 2009 differ from the winXP system restore?

Thanks.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Good question but I don't know of any exhaustive list that states exactly what is backed up as System State.

However, I consider it useless. Why bother with it? Make an image of the partition of whatever, then when you restore it you know you are putting it back in exactly the same state as when you made the image. You don't have to worry about anything be left in or out of the restored data. This is exactly why I image instead of using Windows System Restore. I apply the same rationale to Try and Decide but making an image does take a bit longer.

3. victord66

victord66 Registered Member

That's fine and is what I do most of the time, but on the odd occassion I just want to restore the registry. I recently had a problem where I screwed up a few settings and didn't want to restore the whole system partition. I was told by an online chat techie that I could just restore the "config" folder. However this didn't work as that folder is always in use when windows is running. So I want a way to just restore the 'system state' without affecting any of my data files, but I was just curious if the TI system state backup is similar to the windows system restore in this respect. Or maybe I should just turn on the windows system restore option. Any thoughts?

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

FWIW I keep Windows system restore switched on and sometimes use it. I keep it up to the mark by regularly running Windows disk cleanup and by using the advanced button all but the current system restore point can be deleted.

Xpilot

5. ess

ess Registered Member

I can't see in XP-SP3 Advanced where to empty Restore Point/s. All I see is a % slider. Appreciate info. please.

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

My mistake. In Windows disk clean up click on the more options tab. There is the option to delete all but the latest restore point.

Xpilot

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

You can backup either disks and partitions or the system state that comprises the boot files, registry, protected Windows files, and COM+ CLASS registration database. Backing up the System state allows you to restore the system files, drivers, etc., but not the data files and folders you use in your work. To be able to restore the data files and folders, select the disks and partitions.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.