System snapshot & Hosts safe

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by John Bull, Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

SpywareBlaster sits there motionless like some great spider waiting to catch prey on it`s web. Presumably it does a great job, I wouldn't know. The only time I see it is when I update it.

Please can somebody explain fully what "System Snapshot" and "Hosts Safe" actually do and how we use them if needed ?

I know the principle of course, you take a picture of the system at a point in time, then much later when things have been crapped up, you can restore the scenery back to some historic set up and Hey Presto ! all is well again.

BUT, what happens to all that data, installs, updates, new programs and a battery of other things that have been added since the snapshot was taken ?

Does it all go PUFF and disappear into oblivion ? The bugs and their damage have gone, but so has all the new stuff added since. Like Cinderella`s coach turning into a pumpkin at the stroke of mid-night.

2. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

@John Bull
    I couldn't find the thread where I posted a similar question but the answer I received was that System Snapshot would restore all the browser settings to a restore point before malware hijacked the browser. So everything else should remain safe. :thumb:

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

SpywareBlaster's System Snapshot feature is meant to specifically target the parts of the system that unwanted apps frequently modify - things like browser settings.

When you go to Restore a System Snapshot, SpywareBlaster will compare your current system state to the state stored in the snapshot, and will provide a list of all *applicable* changes (labeled and categorized). You can then choose which of those changes to revert.

It doesn't revert your complete system state to an earlier point in time. (So no need to worry about your documents, photos, etc).

The Hosts Safe is another targeted tool, that lets you easily create+restore backups of your Hosts file. An explanation of what the Hosts file is (and why you might want to keep backups of it) is available here:
    http://www.spywareblaster.net/sb-link/hostsfile.html

I hope this helps. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

4. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

@javacool

Now THAT is a perfect reply. I understand now what happens and am very grateful for your comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.