System Safety Monitor Development "On Hold" - Official

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Rickster100, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Some off topic posts removed from this thread.

2. Rickster100

Rickster100 Registered Member

Hello Makav3l1,

622 works absolutely fine on my Vista Ultmate SP1 [32 bit] setup after 2 weeks of testing. Also no problems with XP Pro SP3.

3. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

2.4.0.621 beta works great on XP-SP3 and I'm lucky and grateful to have gotten the licence forever good. Let's hope it'll be resurrected somehow.

That said, it appears the website is no more :( very sad.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Does anyone know if the final release, or any version for that matter in SSM was ever equipped to block and/or monitor Alternate Data Streams at all? And if so HOW? WHERE? I don't find it.

Thanks

EASTER

5. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

isn't ADS just a registry entry somewhere. Check Alyc's EQSecure ruleset.

SSM is a registry monitor + some APIs (like keylogging).

It does not monitor files... :(

6. melbor

melbor Registered Member

any wild guess for the range of this "good" price?

5K? 25K? or 125K? :)

P.S.
    www.syssafety.com web site is already down...

7. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I posted it before Christmas ;) . But If you have something serious to talk about or to offer, I believe I can again find VtsK: I was the italian SSM translator.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'm sure there was other factors that diminished SSM at it's source development level, but i can't help but think that the unwittingly haste made in it's radical changes of it steered it in the direction it now has come to, that is a complete stop in production/distribution of it.

These matters IMO always seem to crop up when a very reliable software security program undergoes a sudden change after customers have just gotten used to learning their way around such a technical apparatus as SSM is been.

I'm no sage, but when SSM underwent GUI changes, specifically in the registry coverage bit, that even made me reaccess whether it was worth the time & effort to learn this HIPS all over again just when it was coming along just fine.

IMO, i just knew that total change would end up complicating matters for users & customers alike and SSM was already pretty challenging as it was.

Just the opinion i draw from all this now that SSM is throwed in the towel on this project now.

EASTER

9. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Somethingh similar happend with proSecurity, went from a fine looking easy to understand GUI to somethingh completely different and much more complicated, at least for me

10. tasman_53

tasman_53 Registered Member

Hi everyone - I am new to all this and have been looking for a good program like SSM. I know it will take me sometime to understand and learn to use SSM - I downloaded it - the 633 beta version - and now I am stuck with a 30 day trial -
    can anyone advise as to what I should do - the authors site is now offline.
    Thank-you in advance.

11. blacknight

Hi, unluckily SSM was discontinued in December 2008 :'( :'( and his last developer, Vitsk, before to close the SSM site offered a life license to all the SSM users. I don't know if your trial could run after the trial period end. SSM remains a powerful HIPS, but his develop is off and I don't know how much time it may be very powerful and useful as now is.

12. spidey

spidey Guest

Try Malware Defender. I was an SSM customer and switched to MD a few months ago. The developer is very responsive and I find MD easier to configure, especially the registry rules. You can find a trial at www.torchsoft.com.

13. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Another good option is to use Real-Time Defender. It is free, & quite powerful. PM me for a link.

14. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Is this still available somewhere?

15. blacknight

I believe not. The SSM is off actually and I don't believe that the license is identical for all.

16. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I just talked to Vitali, developer of SSM. He sent me a license key that I'm authorized to distribute. PM me if you need a copy.

17. wardner

wardner Registered Member

Hi noone_particular how do i PM you?

I'm currently getting the "The private messaging system is currently unavailable." when trying to send you a PM through your profile :doubt:

18. Rickster100

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone still has a copy of SSM Workgroup Edition 1.0 lying around? Im very curious to try it out. Thanks in advance. :)

19. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I still have a copy of 1.0.0.616-we beta, but I don't believe that the new license key will work with it. It would probably require an old style beta testers license to work, and is probably a time limited beta that has expired.

20. Rickster100

Hello noone_particular,

Thanks for the information, im still interested in trying it out all the same. Please see your PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.