System Safety Monitor Development "On Hold" - Official

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Rickster100, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

i think it is true , COMODO offer all the hips protection in the world for free , so why buy?

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I don't think it would be a waste to open source it, but i agree it probably won't do anything for its development.

Lets face it, it would probably be a hobby for whoever continues it, and there's more things to be done in a true open/ free environment, be it Linux, BSD etc.
    It doesn't mean it can't happen though. And if someone can learn from the code, it has that educational value.

But before any of this, he should think about this some more.

3. Rickster100

Rickster100 Registered Member

Unlimited License key update; from SSM Forums:

http://www.syssafety.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1127

An email must be sent to support[at]syssafety.com requesting the key.

4. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

Sad to see it go.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Simple. To help other developers. If Comodo is so free, why am I suddenly being spammed to signed up for paid stuff.

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

And a Yugo is cheaper than a BMW. So why isn't everyone driving a Yugo? ;)

7. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Not sure what you are using, but I have never had to pay for Comodo software.

8. Makav3l1

Yea I am also at a loss on that point. I have never been spammed by Comodo.

9. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

If a single pop-up message asking if you wish to pay for live support upon installation of CIS is "spamming",then I guess that's what's being referred to.

10. Peter2150

First I don't use Comodo software, so naturally I've not paid anything. I think at one point last year I registered on the forum, and all of a sudden I started getting emails with sales pitches. I get them about every couple of days. That's what I am talking about.

11. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I have "opted in" to all of Comodos communications. I had a brief 1-2 spurt when I got some emails. Other than that I have never been spammed, asked for money, etc... And for what it is worth, I think CIS is a fantastic free product.

12. bellgamin

From time to time, I too receive "sales messages" from Comodo, but I opted in at one time & have not yet gone to the trouble of opting out. I agree that Comodo Firewall & Comodo D+ are fantastic free products -- but not so for their antivirus program: IMO it is 2nd tier, at best.

However, I am no longer a fan of software firewalls. Using the combination of an SPI-capable router, coupled with SSM's network protection, will render software firewalls a waste of computer resources IMO.

QUESTION: I haven't used D+ in a while, so I will ask: does D+ offer network protection, or does it depend on the firewall for that function?

13. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Same here behind a router with SPI FW, Threatfire will look at outbound protection, Malware Defender makes sure that (protect option) my web browser can be spawned from another process.

Reaching levels 10+ :), only DNS recusive call slips through of all leak tests. But I have this service disabled, so leave it to the router to cache this. I have no idea why this test reports success while service is disabled.

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Long Live SYSTEM SAFETY MONITOR in any form.

They pressed ahead against all odds and criticism with it's development after acquiring the source long ago and turned it into what i consider the best HIPS of the future for others to stand up and take notice of.

EQS that i love so much would not even be alive if not for this Team of devs and their interest in fashioning this still unique security program.

EASTER

15. 3xist

3xist Guest

Obviously, you can stop those email messages.

Being on topic, I really wish System Safety Monitor the best, and the developer as well!

16. Rickster100

Rickster100 Registered Member

Vitali sent me a new key within 24 hours and I was able to update from my old version 2.4.0.620 to the latest version "beta" 2.4.0.622, which should be stable enough for most systems [but not sure about Vista SP1 systems]. The last official release notes for 621 indicate coverage for Vista SP1 RC. A thread in the SSM forum indicates that SP1 should be compatible with 622; v2.4.0.622 Release Notes?. I have yet to install 622 on my Vista SP1 partition to verify this.

I would recommend downloading the last 622 version from the website, or an update from SSM itself will download the last standard version 2.4.0.621, unless that is what you require.

System Safety - Downloads.

Vitali sends the key in a .lic format attachment, but it can be opened with notepad and saved as a .txt file, so it can be installed during the update with cut and paste.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  17. Makav3l1

I also got a key from Vitali within 24 hours. I installed 621 on my vista ultimate SP1 machine. It is working fine. I didn't want to take the chance on the beta 622, let us know if it works for you. I haven't used many hips for an extended period of time in awhile because of my preference for D+, but I may play around with SSM for a little while. It brings back memories. I used to use it with Comodo Firewall 2.4 a long time ago.

18. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

It's hardly spamming if it's popped up once then answered in the negative. It stays away after that. Spamming is the repeated popping up nagging you to buy.

19. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Last stable version, 621, works fine on Vista SP1.

20. Peter2150

who's talking about pop up's. I am talking about E-mail

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Curious enough, does anyone suspect from the growing migration of many users over to Vista could somehow be involved in why this is happening?

We've seen other fascinating apps like FD-ISR for one example of handing off the ball (so-to-speak) as well as others since Vista popped on the scene.

At any rate i applaud the SSM Team "LOUDLY" for striking a death blow against malwares in a most unique way that gave rise to other similar developments as well as AV's integrating this approach into their own apps. Maybe not to the extent as SSM did, but surely made the computer (windows) world stand up and take serious notice. And this same trend is been for awhile anyway a nightmare for malwares so that they can't just repack/sort and waltz right into a HIPS protected system as they have done to AV's

22. bellgamin

~Thread edited. Comments and quotes remove. - Ron~

IMO, the minor digression about CIS is somewhat related to this thread's topic from the standpoint that some folks think that the free status of CIS might have been a factor in SSM's demise. The question of "freeness" of CIS, and Comodo's email solicitations to buy their paid product, naturally flowed from that.

As is the case with Pete, I also have received some emails from Comodo. The ones I received called my attention to NON-free ($39) CIS Pro. Comodo's use of a freebie to build business is okay by me -- Avira does it, A-squared also, AVG also, OA also, and (BACK on-topic) so also did SSM.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2008
  23. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Also got a emails advertising for their paid suite since i subscribed to their newsletter and if i have kept it i could shot u that it is very misleading. What i can remember it said that in the free version most features were missing that are in the paid version but im pretty sure thats not the case.

24. 3xist

3xist Guest

Thanks!

That's all I needed to know. :)

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well, personally myself i hope that SSM can just move forward themselves with their Legendary HIPS innovation that they acquired then promptly went on to turn it into an icon of a special security app that opened the eyes of global users everywhere once the news spread that they needed not always feel they would be forever tied down to depending only on AV's alone.

Not to take anything away from AV's. They continue for many to serve a very useful purpose, but HIPS is slammed away malwares with the most unique approach never before attempted save ProcessGuard and set the tone AFAIK for some other developers to enter this same security field and it WORKS!

EASTER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.