System Safety Monitor Development "On Hold" - Official

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Rickster100, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minimax2000

Minimax2000 Registered Member

Nothing is proven, even a visionary needs to consider the current market situation and recognize some deficiencies by some form of analysis to be successful.

I will stop here, have to go.

2. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

But the great work, the goal of the HIPS is precisely to give to the user the complete control of the system. So he manages his system, so he learns about it, so the system is really sure.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Unfortunately or not (for some) what you say is quite true of course as i attempted to point out with this opinion on your "hassle" factor.

As far as advertising, i have to agree again, that can only go so far and requires a solid concerted ongoing effort with enough resources to practice such commercial ventures.

We are sadly, after all, dealing with specifically Microsoft O/S's and IMO thats already enough of risk in and of itself, enter Windows 7 and however many come afterwards.

4. Rickster100

Rickster100 Registered Member

Update: SSM developer soon to release unlimited license codes for SSM. No timescale as yet.

https://www.syssafety.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5312#5312

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well, you really have to give them credit, unlike diamondCS, they are taking additional action on behalf of customers and free users alike in spite of the current situation their involved with.

6. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

I've used ssm free in the past. I would be interested in trying out the paid version if they do decide to let people use it for free. Let us know if it actually happens.

7. blacknight

You have only to visit the SSM Forum and you'll be noticed at the time.

8. Rickster100

I will be keeping a close eye in the SSM Website/Forums and will post an update here when Vitali publishes the unlimited key [and any other relevant information].

9. Rickster100

Absolutely. I have sent Vitali a couple of PMs and he has responded promptly to each one of them. He came across to me as genuinely sorry that the SSM project had not met his expectations.

He knows this thread exists as I PM'd him the link here. Kudos to him for looking after the loyal users (free and paid) with this kind gesture of the unlimited license key offer. SSM may be no longer developed but its still a very relevent security application and will be for many years yet.

10. zen_usuario

zen_usuario Registered Member

Sanboxing/virtualization/isolation aren't free of "malware success/infections" (this is a false security impression).
    These are "security progs" that are running on a system, so they depend of this system, so some "holes" can be exploited by "malware source makers" for take it advantage.
    Does a ".net guide user dependence" desirable? Weeb 2.0 for security also?
    Nooo! I'm thinking this isn't the answer for "home users"......

All HIPS solved their "first reebot" problems adding "learning mode" or databasing a "wide trusted list" now. This only can be 100% sure if the system is clean, but Do anybody assures 100% his "clean system state" when installs some progs for security?... The answer is not. So some risks still remains, and the real world is more complicated that ideal from security softs.;)

11. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I purchased the home life time license in Jan 2007. :'(

12. blacknight

In Jan 2007 SSM team was complete, SSM was growing and they had greats programs ...

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Absolutely! Therein lies the advantage for many global users which is been of a very efficient & reliable HIPS unlike some others and AFAIK the first one to break into the scene with them. (Although PG can be argued to been the first HIPS i think, which is credit to them also)

System Safety Monitor has had a very exciting and enthusiastic run IMO, and many global users have been newly elevated above depending soley on AV's all these years because of them, i for one can personally attest for that even though it was never meant to replace AV's.

Hey, but since it greatly prolonged a user's own service up-time like it has many others without disruptions (except for alerts LoL), then you have to say it has been an enormous success. Trouble is, only for us not them unfortunately :(

14. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

You are right Easter. It has shown those of us who enjoy routine test driving different products that there are alternatives to the mainstream security products. I enjoyed my run with SSM while it lasted, but now that it is no longer in development plans, I've simply moved on. Malware Defender is my latest toy to play with :)

As for its developer xiaolin, I beseech him to keep it in his software repertoire for many years to come ;) it has so much going for it, as did SSM, that it would be a crying shame to ever give up on it.

15. Rickster100

Ironically, with Vitali giving away the unlimited license key (hopefully soon), actual downloads of SSM will probably increase. Its a funny old world. :gack:

16. blacknight

It will be a great thing if the open source world would develop SSM: Vitali in his forum said that he was thinking about " moving SSM to opensource ". Someone like SourceForge.net could be it ?

17. Minimax2000

Minimax2000 Registered Member

Perhaps a cutting-edge Open Source Internet Security Suite can be forged consisting of SSM, ClamWin and a decent Firewall. :D

18. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

What a great idea! :)

19. zen_usuario

zen_usuario Registered Member

+1!:thumb:

20. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

It may not have been their intention to replace the AV but I've found SSM to be very capable of doing exactly that when it's used to enforce a default-deny security policy. I will keep using both the free and pro versions whether they're supported or not.

If SSM does become Open Source, I hope they don't just make it into another bloated security suite. We have enough of them already. I'd like to see it at the core of a remote administration and malware removal service. That would make the big companies nervous for their profits.

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I couldn't agree more. I'm anxious to see just how this finally pans out myself.

22. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I think it would be a waste for SSM to go open source. The WinPooch HIPS is open source, but is now "Abandoned-ware" -- no longer being maintained, but still available for download. Kees & several other Wilders denizens were especially fond of Winpooch, but it just sits there now. Same thing with CoreForce, which is a VERY powerful open source firewall/HIPS, but is now abandoned.

IMO some commercial security software outfit should buy the code for SSM. Filseclab is selling the code for commercial use of their firewall for just $3800. However, Filseclab is still operational and successful with Twister Antivirus/Behavior Blocker/Registry Protector. Therefore, the price for SSM might be lower than Filseclab's price for its firewall because the owner of SSM will evidently withdraw from the software business altogether, at least for the moment.

As just one example --- SSM has long been a favorite of many denizens at the Agnitum Forum (Outpost Firewall). Thus, Agnitum would be wise to buy the SSM code and make SSM available as an adjunct to its "Outpost Firewall" as well as making SSM available as a stand-alone security app. I believe Agnitum has the technical skills to keep SSM at state-of-the-art level, and it also has the business resources to market SSM effectively.

23. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

Gotta say the same thing happened to ProSecurity HIPS

The latest version is available for free as Real Time Defender 1.0

Development has now ceased (of PS/ RTD).

Looks like all classic HIPS programs are collapsing...

AntiHook is still in version 3...

Next software category to collapse (my guess) will be software firewalls. (Reason: Demise of leaktests, Vista is out and Comodo is Freeware)...

Edit: Readability and Some Predictions

24. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Not quite. Off the top of my head the following successful classics come to mind: Malware Defender, EQSecure, Safe'n'Secure, OnlineArmor, NetChina, & DriveSentry (a classic on steroids).

Although Real-Time Defender (nee ProSecurity) has been deathly quiet for several months, I suppose that we shouldn't pronounce RTD *officially dead* as long as someone keeps paying the rent on RTD's website, despite its persistent "under construction" status. Speaking of which, it is my opinion that protection provided by the freebie RTD 1.0 still equals or surpasses ANY other classic HIPS out there, even though RTD hasn't been updated since ~Feb 2008.

25. blacknight

- I also think that open-source is not a good thing for SSM, for the reason that you said. But do we see any other situation ?

- I don't know the price for SSM, but Vitali wrote to me that he would sell it for a good price.

- I' m afraid that Outpost Pro and SSM would be in conflict. I had some problems with them together two years ago, but I can't say if the cause was instead my av.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.