System process at 100% CPU

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by martinatthetown, Sep 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martinatthetown

martinatthetown Registered Member

Your not alone!! - I too have the system process at 100% CPU...
    I think its down to the latest MS Windows Updates.. anyone else having this problem??

Attached Files:

2. ravin

ravin Registered Member

Re: CPU Usage 100.

looking at martinatthetown's process list I see that outlook is taking up quite a few resources. their is a known problem in outlook that after closing it outlook continues to run. so if you don't notice it didn't end and open outlook again you double up on resource usage. just a thought. allthough restarting the computer should end any instances of outlook. one last suggestion would be to get a copy of avast free - install it in safemode and select during install to scan at boot time.

3. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi martin and welcome to Wilder's :)
    In just observing your screen shot you do have far to many processes running and you really do need to check what is starting up when you turn your computer on and take the necessary steps in dealing with that issue first before attempting to do anything else.
    If you could post another screen shot of when you have rebooted your computer i will then be able to get your start up in to some sort of order for you. Just having the right start up program's running fixes many things without the need for any further intervention

Regards

4. martinatthetown

Thanks all for advice.... this is issue is starting to turn into a nightmare!

I've restarted the computer, gone through and stopped all none essential services, the problem still continues...

I've had this problem for acouple of days, I can identify one possible reason:

I updated my computer with the Microsoft Update - it included 6 updates, which I have since uninstalled:
    KB919007 Update for windows XP
    KB920685 Security Update for windows
    KB922582 Security Update for windows
    KB920872 Update for windows XP
    etc

it also contained one new hardward driver update, however, like most people, I just installed all recommendations, and paid little attention to what the hardware driver related too. the drivers are not listed on the microsoft update history

I have been through the system-device manager tonight and painstakeingly roled back all drivers where possible, restarted the computer etc...

the computer by the way, fails to shut down correctly, poss. because something is failing to close... I also deleted and recreated the paging-file

my only known solution is to do a full system restore, however, my computer is my job, I have lots on it! and really can't spend a full week reloading the content - after I've backed everything up.... I'm running out of ideas...
    if I did this, whats to say, it will not happen again?
    (the computers a compaq presario, if that helps?)

Attached Files:

5. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I see also that svchoste.exe and system is using quiet a lot memory. Do you have a firewall running. Sometimes application insist in accessing some internet stuff which can result, if they don't reach their destiny, in a temporaly high mem and CPU usage. Check your FW settings and log, if you use one, regarding system, svchoste.exe, etc.

6. NICK ADSL UK

Hi martin :)
    Can you please remove all of these from starting up as they are not needed. Should they continue to start up may i suggest that you use windows defender which will highlight what is running at start up so you can then disable those above. There is other software that you could use like reg run but i have found windows defender to do a good job
    You can find it here
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4466.html

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

The updates you have uninstalled should go back on when you have completed everything and i think in your case you could submit a HJ log for one of our expert's to take a look at just to make sure everything is in order

Regards

Attached Files:

7. martinatthetown

Thanks again for all your advice people!

I have not stopped fiddling with this problem as it is making my PC impossible to use.

I agree, I need to manage my PCs configuration, and this could be effecting the performance of the machine, however, I have been using the PC, fulltime as a .NET developer, for the last 6 weeks continuously, in that time, I have not added a program, or changed the configuration.

Bearing in mind I uninstalled the resent updates.. I just used MSCONFIG to restored the computer to a previous configuration; (to before the updates were added…) This did not solve the problem…
    so I then entered safe-mode with the basevideo option selected… as you can see from attached image… nothings really loaded, is ito_O what am i missing?

normally,
    I am using Kaspersky Antivirus – which also accesses regular internet based updates, I do not use any third party firewall applications.
    without listing all software installed, the main applications are as follows:
    XP Pro - sp2,
    ie7,
    Visual Studio .NET
    SQL Server
    CorelDRW 11
    and controversally MS Office 2007 beta 2 - which was ran as an upgrade from office XP sp3.
    Napster
    etc
    the computer is:
    Compaq Presario P4-3.x, 1gb RAM, 250+HDD, DVD/CD using a Netgear wireless LAN
    it has other hardware added, eg Scanner, Laser printers, surround-sound etc
    it should be able to handle few startup tasks, it currently struggles to run paint brush... any further advice may help me sleep better! thanks so far...

Attached Files:

8. martinatthetown

one more thing...
    what is a HJ log?? and how do i submit one?

9. NICK ADSL UK

As i say martin it would be best to post a log to rule out anything unto wards that may be going on. There is a tutorial here in which you can read up on and download the software.
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

Regards

10. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Just one idea.
    Please check if you have a IRQ conflict. That could result into the high CPU usage of system.

11. rno2

rno2 Registered Member

I was having the same problem. Windows would not even be finished loading after 20 or so minutes.
    It took me a few hours to figure it out. For me it was AOL's free anti-virus that I had decide to test out. I had to go into safe mode and then manually remove any startup registry keys for AOL's anti-virus. Then I restarted normally and completely removed the program. Problem solved.

I suggest temporarily disabling your security software one and a time and restarting your system, to see if one of them may be causing the problem. I suspect that the new update release is having some problems with resident programs such as anti-virus, anti-trojan and anti-spyware/malware.

12. martinatthetown

I have not idetified any conflicts, to be on the safe side, i have removed all of my non-essential external hardware
    so, i am left with a basic compaq presario and a internal netgear wireless adapter

I use the windows std firewall... the virus software is not running in safemode.. nor is the firewall.. so, i am thinking its not a thirdparty software issue.

I have attached the hijack log- for reference - i do not want to cause further problems to the computer by my mis-intepreting its use, so have not changed any other options, (the log is run from safe mode)

Attached Files:

13. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

I really need to see a HJT log taken in normal mode and also

• Download WinPFind
    • Right Click the Zip Folder and Select "Extract All"
    • Extract it somewhere you will remember like the Desktop
    • Dont do anything with it yet!

Reboot into Safe Mode
    Restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.

Doubleclick WinPFind.exe
    • Click " Configure Scan Options"
    • Select " Run Add ONs" and then select ALL the options in the box below it, Press Apply
    • Now Click "Start Scan"
    • It will scan the entire System, so please be patient!
    • Once the Scan is Complete
      • Reboot back to Normal Mode!
      • Go to the WinPFind folder
      • Locate WinPFind.txt
      • Place those results in the next post!. It will be too big to post so you will need to attach it to your reply

and

download gmer from http://www.gmer.net

save it somewhere safe & unzip it to desktop

double click the gmer.exe to run it and select the rootkit tab, Do NOT select the show all button, press scan & when it has finished press save & copy the log back here

14. martinatthetown

it looks like its attached it...
    well... its technofobic!... what can i say??

I hope it means more to you then me!??!

Attached Files:

15. martinatthetown

GMER output - not sure if this is the info u wantd?

GMER 1.0.11.11337 - http://www.gmer.net
    Rootkit 2006-09-15 10:09:13
    Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

---- System - GMER 1.0.11 ----

SSDT kl1.sys ZwOpenFile

---- Devices - GMER 1.0.11 ----

Device \FileSystem\Cdfs \Cdfs IRP_MJ_CREATE F6FDD400
    Device \FileSystem\Cdfs \Cdfs IRP_MJ_CLOSE F6FDD400
    Device \FileSystem\Cdfs \Cdfs IRP_MJ_READ F6FDD400
    Device \FileSystem\Cdfs \Cdfs IRP_MJ_QUERY_INFORMATION F6FDD400
    Device \FileSystem\Cdfs \Cdfs IRP_MJ_SET_INFORMATION F6FDD400
    Device \FileSystem\Cdfs \Cdfs IRP_MJ_QUERY_VOLUME_INFORMATION F6FDD400
    Device \FileSystem\Cdfs \Cdfs IRP_MJ_DIRECTORY_CONTROL F6FDD400
    Device \FileSystem\Cdfs \Cdfs IRP_MJ_FILE_SYSTEM_CONTROL F6FDD400
    Device \FileSystem\Cdfs \Cdfs IRP_MJ_DEVICE_CONTROL F6FDD400
    Device \FileSystem\Cdfs \Cdfs IRP_MJ_SHUTDOWN F6FE0C74
    Device \FileSystem\Cdfs \Cdfs IRP_MJ_LOCK_CONTROL F6FDD400
    Device \FileSystem\Cdfs \Cdfs IRP_MJ_CLEANUP F6FDD400
    Device \FileSystem\Cdfs \Cdfs IRP_MJ_PNP F6FDD400
    Device \FileSystem\Cdfs \Cdfs FastIoCheckIfPossible F6FE0BCE

---- Threads - GMER 1.0.11 ----

Thread 4:108 866DCF48
    Thread 4:112 866C5A70
    Thread 4:116

16. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

both logs confirm no signs of any apparant malware or known rootkits so we can quite safely rule those out as a cause now

That leads us to suspect either a corrupt or damaged driver or something recently updated

lets see what this shows

open HJT/press config/misc tools/ tick both little boxes about minor & empty sections & press generate start up list

post that back here

17. martinatthetown

Thanks for your help.

through desperation... I called the MS support team, spoke to a nice guy in new deli who attempted a system parshal repair from the XP Pro disk...
    however, this did not solve the issue

it elliminated corruption of files, as cause... and left me now using IE6 not 7.

I have attached the Log file you requested.

and confirm... I am still using 100% CPU usage... I guess its all pointing to a incompatible driver issue...

I also tried disabling, std stuff, grapihics, sound, network etc... but nothing i do seems to change anything!...

Attached Files:

• log.txt
      File size:
      35.6 KB
      Views:
  18. NICK ADSL UK

Hang in there martin as there many avenues to go down and they may take some time. Once we can rule out malware ETC then we can look at your drivers and services :)

19. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

nothing there either

your screenshot shows 99% cpu with only minimal memory useage by system process so it must be a driver that loads in safe mode so that brings it down to the basics like Ide drivers or keyboard & mouse driver

for soem reason I remember a similar case with mouse drivers being the cause
    is your mouse a Ps2 mouse or a USB one

you could try opening device m,anager & see if any yellow warnings if nothing shows, then uninstall the mouse driver, reboot & windows will install a generic standard mouse driver

20. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I would really just go through and reinstall all drivers using the latest versions from the manufacturer's website. If you use an nVidia graphics card, try uninstalling the nVidia driver and just use the default Microsoft driver (just uninstall the nVidia driver and let Windows install the one it wants to).

DPCs using that much CPU almost definitely points to a driver issue. If it started with a driver update, that would be a pretty high suspect. Unfortunately the driver updates through Windows Update tend to be a crapshoot.

21. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

22. martinatthetown

thanks for all your advice, I am struggling currently to use the machine at all at present, and can no longer access ie from it...

I'll try all the options suggested... bare wiv me

23. martinatthetown

hi again!
    Ok, I've tried removing the mouse driver and the mouse!
    thats not the cause, I've also tried to change the keyboard driver, however, it auto detects and installs the current one regardless.

RATTV3 program produces a report, that I don't understand, it prob. points straight to the problem.... but... I dont know... I don't understand it!...

I've attached it to this post.... can anyone explain anything?>

I think that we're getting somewhere wiv this!

Attached Files:

24. gerardwil

25. gerardwil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.