System Preferences opens on boot

Discussion in 'NTFS for Mac & ExtFS for Mac' started by paulsuk, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulsuk

paulsuk Registered Member

Hi,
    Every time I start up the Mac, System Prefs opens to the Paragon NTFS for Mac page, regardless of the settings on that page (AFAICT) or whether there's any NTFS drive attached.
    Any ideas how to prevent this?
    OS X Lion
    NTFS for Mac 9.5.0 (registered).
    Thanks.

2. GeHoGo

GeHoGo Registered Member

Workaround for reappearing Paragon NTFS preference pane

I had the exact same problem myself with Paragon NTFS 9.5.2.

I thinks it's clearly a bug in the software, but I managed to come up with a workaround:

The reason for the reappearing preference pane at startup/boot is that Paragon NTFS checks for a specific file at a specific (hardcoded) location:
    Code:
    /Users/[I][COLOR="Sienna"]<<your_username>>[/COLOR][/I]/Library/Application Support/Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X/.notfirsttime
    In case you move the folder of a user (for example with the normal system user preference) to a different location, let's say to
    Code:
    /Volumes/<<second_harddrive>>/Users/
    Paragon NTFS creates the .notfirsttime-file correctly in the folder
    Code:
    /Volumes/<<second_harddrive>>/Users/[I][COLOR="Sienna"]<<your_username>>[/COLOR][/I]/Library/Application Support/Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X/
    but on next startup it checks within
    Code:
    /Users/[I][COLOR="Sienna"]<<your_username>>[/COLOR][/I]/Library/Application Support/Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X/
    where it can't find the file and thus showing the "first time" preference pane again.

You can solve this misbehaviour with two workarounds:
    1. just create a soft link for the relevant users in /Users/ to the new location with
      Code:
      ln -s /Volumes/<<second_harddrive>>/Users/[I][COLOR="Sienna"]<<your_username>>[/COLOR][/I] /Users/[I][COLOR="Sienna"]<<your_username>>[/COLOR][/I]
    2. create the according folder and the appropriate file yourself with
      Code:
      mkdir /Users/[I][COLOR="Sienna"]<<your_username>>[/COLOR][/I]; cd /Users/[I][COLOR="Sienna"]<<your_username>>[/COLOR][/I]; mkdir Library; cd Library; mkdir "Application Support"; cd "Application Support"; mkdir "Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X"; cd "Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X"; touch .notfirsttime

Maybe this workaround can help you.

Best regards

Gerhard

3. redvivi

redvivi Registered Member

Hello,

I have the same issue despite the fact that the .notfirsttime file exists in
    Code:
    /Users/myusername/Library/Application Support/Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X/
    Also, it seems that the Paragon's Preferences Pane module doesn't save the update notifications preference.

Each time I open the Paragon's Preferences Pane, the option is always unchecked.

What can I do ?

Regards,
    redvivi

4. ChipMcK

ChipMcK Registered Member

5. Paragon_MA

Paragon_MA Paragon Moderator

To resolve the issue you need to delete the service which is starting Preferences Panel with NTFS for Mac OS X.

1. Go to Applications - Utilities
    2. Open Terminal
    3. Type in

sudo rm /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.paragon.NTFS.notify.plist

4. Press Enter and provide Administrator password
    5. Press Enter again

Preferences pane will not pop up again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.