System Folder Recovery

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by drbob424, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbob424

drbob424 Registered Member

Are there any circumstances when one would NOT wish to enable system folder recovery, to specify that folder contents are restored at operating system bootup? I can tell from the manual when you would want to enable this, but since it is an option I have to assume that there are times when you would not want to restore the system folders at bootup.

Also, does this feature apply to a Linux installation?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello drbob424,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that you should enable this option in case you do not wish to apply any system changes after reboot/shutdown. If you want save everything that have been changed in system files since the last bootup, then you should disable this option.

Yes, this option can be used for a Linux operating system but only in cases when its system folders are located on FAT16/FAT32 or NTFS partitions (these are very rare cases).

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. drbob424

Thank you, Kirill.

Suppose you were working in one of your Windows installations and your computer downloaded automatic updates that required a reboot for installation. Would this affect your decision whether or not to protect system folders?

Why is this an option at all? Can you think of any time you would not want to protect system folders? From what you said above it sounds like this would not make sense to do on a Linux OS that was installed to a Reiser or Ext 3 partition, but would it mess anything up?

4. drbob424

By the way, I absolutely love this software. I have one Win XP Home and two XP Pro installs so far, and this is a great way to try out different configurations. On one XP Pro installation I decided to install nothing but free or open source programs, or those that came with the computer itself, and it is truly amazing what you can do with nothing but free software.

There is one bit of odd behavior. I have Xandros 3 installed on a Reiser FS. I installed it after installing Windows XP pro, before installing Acronis software, and I believe it alters the master boot record because after the Xandros install, one is greeted with the options of booting Windows or Xandros. As far as I can tell there is no option to only install the Linux loader on the Linux partition.

After then installing Acronis DD & OS selector, I see not one but three Linux options under the operating systems. Clicking on one option brings me to a screen full of "99" followed by a frozen computer. Clicking on another brings up the Xandros OS selector screen, but trying to boot into Xandros starts the Linux bootup followed by a frozen screen and frozen computer. Clicking on the third Linux OS brings up the Xandros OS selector screen, and clicking on Xandros brings up a properly functioning Xandros.

However, any attempt to change the default OS to boot under Xandros brings up new Linux installs in Acronis OS selector, or sometimes OS selector does not come up at all, and sometimes this behavior happens even when no changes are made to the default OS to load under Xandros. Does this make any sense? I am guessing that Xandros is trying to reinstall its boot loader on the MBR.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello drbob424,

I am sorry for the delayed response.

Please be aware that operating system update will not affect any changes if you set this option up. Your system will be updated your applications will stay. This option protects your operating system from any changes that could be made by other operating systems. It restores only small set of system files. Moreover, you can point which files you wish to make restored on each bootup either (please take a look at the section 7.7.6 of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 User's Guide).

Linux operating system files are not accessible by other operating systems installed on your computer. That is why it is not necessary to protect folders which are located on a partition with file system another than FAT16/FAT32 or NTFS.

Regarding your issue with incorrect behavior of Acronis OS Selector and system freezing up, please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.