System Files CRC32 Test

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by puff-m-d, Mar 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello all,

I am getting an error on the System Files CRC32 Test that I did not use to get.  When I run the test I get the following message: "Started - verifying 31 files ....  File doesn't exist: C:\config.sys   Test finished".

The file indeed does not exist in that location but when I search my system I find it at C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD .  This is of course assuming that this if the file TDS is looking for.

Can anyone tell me what is going on and how to fix this problem?  It just started and has me worried that something is not O.K. with my system.

Thanks,
    Kent

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

First:
    I better leave the question, where on your system the file config.sys does belong, to others.
    On my Dutch W98SE it is  C:\config.sys.
    I guess that when your system is working OK, there is not much to worry about.
    But as said, that part of your question I better leave to others. Maybe you could tell which OS you are using.

It was not clear to me whether this was the first time that you got this alert, and that you did not get this alert before, sorry. If that is the case, there is indeed something strange happening on your system.....

Now the second part of your question, that one about the CRC32 feature in TDS3.
    Well, I know more about that one.
    There is a file called crcfiles.txt in the subdirectory Config of your TDS-3 directory.
    In that file crcfiles.txt is a list with all the files that the CRC32 feature in TDS-3 checks for changes.
    You can open that file crcfiles.txt with Notepad, or you can open it using TDS-3.
    In TDS-3:
    TDS > Edit Config Text Files > crcfiles.txt
    Then you see which files there are in that crcfiles.txt.
    As said these are the files that the CRC32 feature in TDS-3 will check for changes.
    As you see, these files there are summed up with their full path.
    In case a file there does not exists on your system in the directory named there, the CRC32 feature will give an alert; just like you got.
    That means a file must have exactly the path as described in crcfiles.txt.
    Now, what do you have to do?
    Simply, change the path to your config.sys as desrcibed in crcfiles.txt to the right one on your system.
    That means: don’t change the place where config.sys is on your system, but simply change his path in crcfiles.txt.

As you see, you can add, delete or change files summed up in crcfiles.txt.
    Do not forget to hit save after you made changes in crcfiles.txt.
    For example: I have put some 100 files in crcfiles.txt which I want the CRC32 feature in TDS-3 to monitor for changes.

I hope this helps a bit.

But maybe the most important question is:
    was this the first time that you got this alert? And if so, do you know which changes you made on your system since the last time that you did not get this alert?

3. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello,

I am using win XP home.   And yes, It is the first time I got this message.  The only thing that I have changed or done to my knowledge is Proxomitron.

Sorry if I cannot be of more help.

Kent

4. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

I have a dual boot system with win98se on C: and w2k on D:

I find a onfig.sys in c:windows\ and C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD but none on my D drive.

conclusion, w2k does not have a config.sys file.

I do recall TDS-3 used to bark at that before. It was looking for a few files in wrong places. After some updates it went away. Can't remember how come.

either way no big deal here, not to worry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.