System Crashes

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Baffled, Dec 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baffled

Baffled Guest

My problem is that my system crashes when I use True Image 9 build 2323.

I have two computers linked as a network. One uses XP Home and the other XP Pro. Both run SP2 and Zone Alarm is installed on each.

I tried to make an image from the Home machine to a Freecom USB removable drive. True Image recognised the drive and started to make an image. However, about half way through, the system crashed. I tried this a few times but it always crashed.

I then tried to make an image via the network to a drive on my Pro machine. On the first attempt, True Image ran the whole way through and told me that I had successfully made an image. However, although there was a file on the Pro dirve, its length was 0 bytes. I tried again and the machine crashed. I then noticed that True Vector had been switched off on the Pro machine. In addition, when I re-booted the Home machine, I got an error sayig that the system had recovered from a serious error. I declined to send a report to Microsoft, but the message came back a few seconds later. Every time I clicked the "do not send " button it disappeared but then returned after a few seconds. The only way I could get rid of it was to re-boot the machine.

I ran chkdsk /f on the disk and it corrected a couple of errors. When I tried to make an image, it went through the same process of crashing and showing the error message. At the same time, True Vector was being switched off on the Pro machine.

Eventually, I gave up. I am not sure if this is a True Image issue or a conflict with Zone Alarm. The discs and Windows seem to be OK as I have run chkdsk on both of them and they give no other problems.

Can you help me on this please?

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

You only need Zone Alarm to be running if you are connected to the Internet.

So disconnect from the Internet, stop Zone Alarm and try TI again.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Baffled,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please do as Chutsman has suggested. Disable or even temporarily uninstall Zone Alarm on both machines and then try to create an image saving it to both your Freecom USB removable drive and a shared folder on your Windows XP Professional machine once more.

Please also make sure that the sharing permissions for the folder you are saving your image to are set to Full Control.

If that does not help then please do the following:

First of all, please check each partition of both your internal and Freecom USB removable hard drives by Windows utility. To do this please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drives. Note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

Please also download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please keep your Freecom USB removable drive connected while creating Acronis Report and Windows System Information.

Please also do the following:

- Open Computer properties either by right clicking on My Computer icon and choosing Properties or by opening System properties in Control Panel;
    - Go to Advanced tab;
    - Press Startup and Recover Settings button;
    - Choose Small memory dump in Write debugging information box;
    - Close all the dialog windows by clicking OK buttons.
    - Reproduce the system crash and collect the mini-dumps created.

Please also try to create an image saving to the Freecom USB removable hard drive when your PC is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2323) of Acronis True Image 9.0. Let us know the results.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Please provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post for both machines;

- Reproduce the problem and create Acronis Report once more;

- Rename the reports created to report_before.txt and report_after.txt accordingly;

- Collect Acronis True Image 9.0 log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon;

- Make a screen shots or provide the exact text of the error messages you have received;

- When exactly have you received these error messages?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please also try to create an image saving it to the shared folder on your Windows XP Professional machine when your Windows XP Home machine is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2323) of Acronis True Image 9.0. Let us know the result.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  4. Charles Jacobsen

Charles Jacobsen Registered Member

I followed Chutsman's suggestion and switched off Zone Alarm. I then used the removable disc et voila! A perfect copy. A fine example of do the easy thing first. Many thanks indeed.

Of course, this begs the obvious question of why it did not work in the first place but I think I will use time I would have spent on working it out to reducing my golf handicap.

5. Mediamon

Mediamon Registered Member

I don't understand this. Some people use ZA Pro or Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite to protect PC's on the same internal LAN from each other.

1. Why does one have to disconnect from the internet?

2. Why does ZAP have to be disabled?

Woody

6. Gorden42

Gorden42 Registered Member

Re: System Crashes using TI 9

I have a very similar problem and took the recommendations that Chutsman recommended. A couple differences are that I am running Norton IS 2006 and I am trying to backup to an Acom external harddrive. I disabled NIS, disconnected from the internet, rebooted and tried it again. No luck and if anything it crashed quicker than normal. I'm running windows XP SP2, with 3 internal drives and I have two external hard drives connected via USB 2.0 cable. One Hard drive is a 250Gb WD hard drive and the other is a 60 Gb Acom external drive. I am trying to create a partition image of the 3 internal drives to the Acom drive. True Image 9 works great when going to the newer faster WD drive, but when trying to use the Acom older 60b drive it crashes the system. I went to Acomdata's web site looking for newer drivers all they say is if you have XP installed you don't need drivers for their drives. I have tried changing a couple different options within TI 9 based on reading other positings but no luck.

I could really use some help on this one.

Thanks!

7. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak Registered Member

Every time I clicked the "do not send " button it disappeared but then returned after a few seconds. The only way I could get rid of it was to re-boot the machine.

Here's another way to get rid of it:

My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Error Reporting -> Disable Error Reporting.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Gorden42,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 2337.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

If the problem still persists with the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 and disabling Norton Internet Security does not help then please do as I have suggested in my post #3 addressed to Baffled. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

9. Gorden42

Gorden42 Registered Member

Thank you for the reply to my system crashing problem. Ok here comes the strange part, I downloaded the latest version of TI 9 (version 2337) was able to back up 2 of the 3 internal drives to my external Acom drive now. When I went to backup the root drive it crashed the system again with a different error showing a inpage fault error. I started looking around the net for that error and saw that it could be memory related and they recommended that the memory be reseated or replaced. I decided to try the process of elimination theory, so I took out one of my two 512Mb DIMMS and was able to backup the system drive. I put the second DIMM back in and tried it again and it worked. After scratching my head for a few minutes I then decided to try a complete backup of all 3 internal drives to my external Acom drive and it also worked. Therefore I am declaring root cause to be a improperly seated DIMM, but I am also thinking downloading the latest version of TI 9 may have added to my success in resolving this problem.

Thanks to everyone who replied with a solution.

One other thing I wanted to add was this was all successfully tested with Norton NIS 2006 up and running. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.