Sysrestore by Xia Software (new snapshot/backup program?)

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by kupo, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

It is a nice product but does not seem to have active development at the moment - although support is pretty responsive (in late December:) )

2. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi starfish :)

Have you been using sysrestore? How have you liked it so far? Good to hear their support has been responsive. 3.4 is the same version they had since I think Sept. 2012.

I hope they do well, but their development does appear to either be slow to none, or they are not running into too many issues. I hope it is working well for you.

Thanks for the updated info. :)

Have a good day

Jim

3. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

So what's going on with this software? Anybody still using it?

4. manolito

manolito Registered Member

Oh yes, I have been using it (the free version) on one of my notebooks (WinXP) since March 2013, and I also installed it on several different machines of my friends (all Win7-64bit). And I must say that the current version 3.4 is very stable, there have not been any problems so far.

The reason I was interested in SysRestore was that some of my friends are very sloppy when it comes to backups, and they also do not speak English very well. SysRestore is very easy to use (much less features than Rollback), and it was easy for me to translate it into German.

If you can live with the restrictions (only 10 snapshots with the free version, and you can not dance around among the snapshots), then I find it a very worthwhile replacement for Windows System Restore.

While I was doing the translation I noticed that the software originally had much more features which were removed or disabled, probably for stability reasons. IMO the Pro version is not really worth the money, the only difference between the free and the Pro version is the max number of snapshots (10 vs 1000). Who needs 1000 snapshots?

After finishing the translation I sent the results to their support, a very friendly person answered immediately and gave me a free license for the Pro version. But it looks like the company is not really interested in maintaining the software any more. So if anyone here is interested in German versions of the software (free and Pro trial), just send me a PM...

For compatibilty I can only speculate if the software can be used with UEFI/GPT, I doubt it. For SSD compatibility this should at least in theory not cause problems. The snapshots are stored in a "real" file (as opposed to Rollback which stores the snapshots in unused sectors outside the file system). So the Trim command should not damage any snapshots.

And SysRestore plays together with imaging software like Acronis a lot nicer than Rollback. If you do a cold image from the recovery CD, with Rollback all you will get is an image of the baseline snapshot. SysRestore "really" writes changes to the HDD, so a cold image will be complete.

All in all I find it a pity that this software did not get more attention, for many less sophisticated users it is a better solution than Rollback IMO.

Cheers
    manolito

5. manolito

It looks like sysnew.com (XIA Siftware) has closed its shop. I cannot reach their site for 3 days, so I assume that SysRestore is dead.

You can of course still download it at CNet and several other locations (and if you need a German version, send me a PM).

RIP SysRestore...:'(

Cheers
    manolito

6. manolito

Update:
    Since last night www.sysnew.com is online again...

Cheers
    manolito

7. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

My AV software is blocking the site saying that it is a known dangerous site. :eek:

8. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Must be a false positive.:)

9. genieautravail

genieautravail Registered Member

10. manolito

You are talking about "FastRestore", not "SysRestore". FastRestore is a time freeze software which resets your system drive to its original state at every reboot, while SysRestore is a snapshot software similar to Rollback RX.

No wonder they are giving away FastRestore, because there is free competition like Toolwiz TimeFreeze or RebootRestoreRX.

Cheers
    manolito

11. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Back in business!

12. genieautravail

genieautravail Registered Member

You have right, sorry for my mistake. :argh:

13. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

I was never able to get Sysrestore to restore properly, it would only quickly blue screen, and just boot back into windows. tried it twice, installed fine, took snaps fine, but could never restore them. For some, they have been using this for a long time, and no issues, but it just would never restore for me.

Jim

14. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I only just came across this thread, and I have seen it mentioned that SysRestore works a replacement for System Restore.

Can someone confirm for me that that is the case.

I am looking for something which essentially works the same as System Restore. On occasion System Restore will not work, so for that reason I am looking for a more reliable alternative. However, I am looking for something like Rollback Rx which does a complete rollback - I want my own personal files to remain unchanged after doing a restore, just like with System Restore.

15. manolito

No, Sysrestore will always restore a complete partition, there is no way to exclude specific files or folders from the restore. You can either reorganize your HDD so all data and personal files reside on a different partition. Or you copy all files you want to keep to a different partition BEFORE you do a restore. This is especially important because after a restore all snapshots after the restore point will be gone.

Rollback RX behaves differently. In the settings section you can specify folders which should be excluded from the restore. Additionally even if you did not specify folders for exclusion your data will not be lost after a restore. Rollback RX keeps all snapshots so after a restore you can mount a different (later in time) snapshot and salvage the data.

Cheers
    manolito

16. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. It looks like there's still no 3rd party equivalent of System Restore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.