Sysrestore by Xia Software (new snapshot/backup program?)

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by kupo, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I installed it in a VM and here is a quick review:

Installation worked fine. I did a snapshot and deleted some stuff. The snapshot took 4 seconds to make. Then I made a recovery. In the recovery process there is two reboots. The first one is to the rescue area where it restores. After that the computer reboots to the normal environment. All this worked fine. The user interface is basic and easy to understand. Sysrestore i a 32bit application but that is not a problem i a 64 bit environment as far as I can see.

Did this in a VM-Workstation virtual machine with Windows 8 64 bit Pro.
    Here is FAQ
    Here are som screenshots:

Attached Files:

2. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Nice, thanks for this review and screenshots are great. :D. I'm using Windows 7 x64, but I'm not on SSD, so I think possibilities of BSODs are small.

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Why on earth would i use this when windows does a very good job in itself?:blink:
    50 bucks for this.?:blink: :blink: out of their minds.!
    Also their is very good imaging software out there for free.!!:blink:
    Sounds like they are on the make.!:ninja:
    I cant be bothered with crap like this when there is perfectly good free software and built in facilities.:rolleyes:
    I will not be trying this crap.:ninja:

4. kupo

kupo Registered Member

You remind me of someone in this forums before. LOL.
    There is a free version.
    This is not and imaging software, it is a "snapshot" sort of thing.
    While I do agree that Windows 7 built-in System Restore and Imaging capabilities are great, there is no need to belittle other software. Again LOL.

5. The Red Moon

Free version or not i dont need it.
    Its the nerve of charging for it that annoys me.
    Way overpriced.and apparently it deletes some snapshots automatically.
    Windows does a perfectly good job in itself.
    As i said they are like most companies and just thinking of the cash rolling in.
    Its daylight robbery and i will not entertain this garbage.:thumb:

6. kupo

kupo Registered Member

First: It is different to Windows System Restore.
    Second: Not everything in this world is free cheapskate.
    Third: Where in the world did anyone in this thread said that you need this software? If you don't like it, express your opinion "kindly" and then gtfo quietly.
    Fourth: Yeah, they want the cash rolling that's why they gave away license in helping them translating their website and having a give away of over 9000 keys for everyone.
    Fifth: (OFFTOPIC). I think you're the same guy from before. Again, LOL.

7. The Red Moon

Its a democratic society (sort of).
    I can express an opinion on this freely.
    Express it kindly.?.lol.in other words praise it or be quiet.(i think not sir.)
    Giving away 9000 keys.hmm why not make it a purely free product then.?
    am i a cheapskate.hmm to a point yes.
    My point is that this program is not really needed when there are far better free solutions.:thumb:

8. kupo

kupo Registered Member

There are several ways of describing a software except garbage. I see that you used that word in this forums a lot. I guess what mouth hand is made of kind sir.

Oh and one more thing Capture.JPG . I don't want to argue with the same person that is a troll is close minded. You really are that guy from before. Once again, LOL.

TO MODS, PLEASE DELETE THIS POST. I APOLOGIZE (TO THE MODS,NOT YOU) FOR BEING RUDE ONCE AGAIN. POSTS ABOUT BASHING SOFTWARE JUST BECAUSE IT ISN'T FREE ARE IRRITATING. AGAIN SORRY TO THE MODS. :D

9. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Much respectfully, can not agree that Sysrestore is useless prog. This is the second free snapshot time machine. The first is Comodo Time Machine, but its last version 2.8 is more then 2 years old. Though there are a lot of free imaging progs, snapshot technology is quite different from imaging - much quicker though less safe.

10. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

50 bucks is nothing for some of us. Usually I pay for convenience. You should not bad mouth us who pay for software or are early adopters, it is we who pay who makes so you can get the free ones...:cautious:

11. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Thank you sukarof for testing this and also for the screenshots :) So glad to hear it worked for you, and I also have been wondering about this since it first came out, but never tried it. It sounds useful and I hope they improve as time goes on. What I really like about this program is that it is both very small and to the point...snapshot and recover or restore is its function.

I am not usually a fan of snapshot style apps, but I like the simplicity of this so far, just did not have the courage to try it. Your good report sure helps. I am not so much interested in it to create a bunch of snapshots, nor do I compare it to RollbackRx, my interest is in using it to "rollback" to a snapshot after testing softwares, instead of restoring entire images as I do now, although with IFL it takes but a few minutes to do so, this snapshot app sounds very handy for quick restores if desired. Does it appear to be stable to you so far? I manage some computers at a local office and do the maintenance. They just got a new tower, and HP X64 Win7, and I have though about getting it set up with some sort of snapshot style app, that is more than just 'system restore' that windows uses. Do you or would you consider Sysrestore a viable app for this plan? Windows system restore simply does not restore as cleanly as real snapshot style apps, system restore only restores registry and modified or deleted files, etc., not a full sector based restore such as RollbackRx or this Sysrestore. Hope I explained this ok. Thanks for your efforts!

Jim

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  12. kupo

kupo Registered Member

After exchanging emails with the support team, and some of my doubts clearing up, I guess I will try this one. :D

13. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I'll share my experience with SysRestore.
    1. Installs without problems.
    2. Create snapshots in less than a minute.(literally :D)
    3. Restores snapshots in less than a minute.(literally :D)
    4. Mounting restores worked flawlessly.
    5. And I also try if will uninstall cleanly, and it did! Without a trace. (I just tried to uninstall to test if there will be problems.)

The only thing I didn't like is that operations need admin account to work. The dev didn't take into consideration that Standard User Account will also work with the program. Not a big deal though.

14. ichito

ichito Registered Member

I am used to Keriver 1-Click...I know its features, how it works, that it's usefull and safe...could the Sysrestore be a good alternative/replacement to Keriver?
    Is it worth to change it?

15. kupo

kupo Registered Member

SysRestore is a snapshot type, unlike Keriver 1-Click which is imaging type. I also used Keriver before and it never failed me. If you want stability, I suggest that you stick with Keriver. I only tried to restore once using SysRestore, and it worked well, but I don't know what will happen if I did a lot of complex thing prior to restoration.

16. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Nice experience, Skudo12! Me trying it soon as well.

17. WSFfan

WSFfan Registered Member

Does Sysrestore alter the MBR? Does it protect the MBR?

What is the difference between Sysrestore and Rollback Rx in terms of ability?Any other difference?

Can it protect more than one partition?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  18. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Share your experience as well. :D.
    Alter the MBR? Yes(Similar to CTM)
    Protect the MBR? No idea, sorry.
    Difference between SysRestore and RollbackRX? Haven't tried Rollback yet.
    Can it protect more than one partition? Yes (There is a checkbox in C: and D:, C: is checked by default in my installation)

It would be nice if the developer would regularly visits Wilders Security.

19. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Also, in my experience, if you initiate the recovery logged in in a Standard User Account, during the first reboot, make sure that you logged in in the Admin Account. Just a heads up.

20. The Red Moon

And like CTM does it corrupt the MBR upon uninstalling.?:blink:

21. kupo

kupo Registered Member

It uninstalled cleanly in my sytem.

22. WSFfan

WSFfan Registered Member

Can we rollback our system both backward and forward in time?

After deleting a snapshot, does it allow us to reclaim the space created by the snapshot?Does it defrag the snapshots?

23. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I've read that once you do a snapshot, all snapshots after the one you go into will be lost. I've only tested restoring from the latest snapshot.
    About reclaiming space, I have no idea, lol. Well it defrag during the install.

24. WSFfan

WSFfan Registered Member

Let say if i have 5 snapshots A,B,C,D & E.

If i rollback to B from E, will the snapshots C, D & E be deleted?

Will the snapshot A remain unaffected?

25. kupo

kupo Registered Member

That's what they describe what would happen. Again, I haven't tested it yet. (I'm just taking a break, still studying,lol)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.